How will a 2.5 yr old like the parks?

addie

Mouseketeer
Hi,

My DS will be 2.5 yrs old at the time of our trip. He is two now, and is starting to say quite a few words, no sentenses, and is pretty active.

Because this is our first, and he has grown up so much in the past 6 months, I'm wondering what he will be like at 2.5. Will he want to ride rides, like dumbo, etc? What are your best ideas for toddlers?

Thanks!

my dd took her first trip at 3.5 but she was pretty timid, so she
maybe a useful comparison.

She quite enjoyed Dumbo, It's a Small World (ok, she loved this, and we rode it far too many times...), Spaceship Earth, Pooh Bear (but she was a little nervous about the bumpy bit), Carousel with her dad standing next to her, the train, TTA, Bear in the Big Blue House at MGM, Safari at AK, Masks at Epcot. She loved all the parades

Not much else in the way of rides, but she loved being in the parks. She was quite wary of characters initially, but once she relaxed with them, she really enjoyed them. We did character meals which are quite an easy way to meet the characters, and if the child is feeling timid, they can just sit behind the table and wave at the character, and mum can get the autograph.

one thing we did that was good, was go to Belle's storytime and afterwards we went to meet Belle. Because Belle is not a scary character at all, and can speak, I think my dd was more comfortable with her, then with many other the others, and that was the first character that she really relaxed and enjoyed meeting. She liked Crystal Palace with Pooh and friends as well, as she knows those characters and was more comfortable with them.

Bev

Our son was 2 years and 9 months old when we went for the first time last April. Animal Kingdom was the first park we went to and although the characters were just standing around with no lines, he wouldn't have anything to do with them. He just stood and watched the other kids interacting with the characters. Well, the next day we went to Magic Kingdom and for whatever reason he did a complete turnaround...we ate lunch at Crystal Palace and he played with all the Pooh characters, and continued to interact with characters for the rest of our trip. As far as rides go in MK, we pretty much did all the "toddler-type" ones in Fantasyland, Buzz Lightyear, Aladdin's Carpet, Magic Kingdom railroad, etc. At MGM we did Bear, Muppetvision, visited Al's Toy Barn to meet Buzz and Woody, character lunch at Hollywood and Vine. At Epcot, he loved the Tapestry of Dreams parade (no longer there), Innoventions, didn't like Illuminations (the loud fireworks scared him). At Animal Kingdom, he liked the Kilimanjaro Safari, Lion King Show, Dinorama. One major thing for us was that we let our son adjust to places and things and go at his own pace and everything was fine...I'm sure your son will also do fine!
flowerface.gif

We've done Disney with various kids at 2ish. My youngest went at 5mo, 23mo and 36mo. Both of her 2ish times she was afraid of the characters at first, but warmed up to them eventually. She loved most of the rides she could go on. She said ahead of time at 3 that she didn't want to do Haunted Mansion, so we timed that one for nap time. She and Grandma staked out our parade spot while the rest of us rode.

When she was not quite 2 she wanted to ride "Bumbo" over and over. She talked about it constantly after we got home.

DD was 2 1/2 on our first trip. She loved WDW and did everything at WDW that she could do. . She looked so cute sitting in the 3D movies with those glasses on that covered most of her face. Dumbo and coutry Bears were her favorites, but she really enjoyed some rides that others have said their kids are afraid of ie ...Haunted Mansion, Snow White, The great Movie ride, all the 3D movies etc

Don't forget water, water, and water. We took our youngest when he was 2. He enjoyed It's a small world, peter pan magical flight, meeting mickey as long as he was in someones arms, tea cups, and the jamboree bears. Loves the pirate of the carabian. Hated spaceship earth at epcot but loves it now he is 5.

Don't forget to bring lots of water for small children dehydrate faster than adults offering them a drink every 30min or so. We always brought snackes to pass time in lines. A misterfan which are cheaper to buy before comeing.

I agree with all the above on rides for toddlers so far.Erich really liked the Land pavillion in EPCOT and he LOVED (he still does at 9yrs!) Universe of Energy there too.He's a Dinosaur lover.Oh that reminds me Triceratops Spin at AK might be a good one for a 2 year old.It's a dino- Dumbo ride!

Our two year old twin boys Loved Disney.... we went just after thier 2nd Birthday. They were not afraid of any character other than Governor Radcliffe from Pocohontas. They were very into that movie at that time, so they had some personnel issues with him I guess... We did lots of Character meals buffett style. They slept in the stroller when they were tired no problems there. Went on alsmost every ride including catastrophe Canyon at MGM, And great movie ride no fright of the alien I may add. At Epcot they loved the Figment ride, The shooting fountains also a big hit. The land grills Character lunch they also loved. As far as Magic Kingdom. Buzz was the # 1, followed by PooH, Snow white, Peter Pan, small World, etc.....They would have done Buzz over and over again. Illuminations and Fantasmic were big hits as well. We stayed At Animal Kingdom Lodge Savannah View which was the highlight of the trip for them, they loved the Girraffes and the playground. We then switched To Beach Club Villas were Stormalong Bay, was also a big hit. They still ask every day if we are going to Disney today. I think your little one will love it...

Our dd was a little over 2 when we visited WDW last year and to help prepare her for the trip we bought several of the Disney sing-a-ling videos. Here is a list of the videos we have:

Disneyland Fun
Beach Party at Walt Disney World
Campout at Walt Disney World
Flik's Musical Adventure at Animal Kingdom

These are live action videos that show the characters interacting with kids of all ages. She also watched the vacation planning video. She enjoyed most of the attractions we took her on. Some of the attractions are very LOUD and that seemed to bother her more than the darkness. She liked Illuminations as long as we covered her ears and she slept through Fantasmic! and all of the parades were big hits.

Our last trip was when my son was exactly 2.5 yrs old and I agree with what most people have said. He wasn't afraid of the characters and liked all the usual kid rides. I regret taking him in the Haunted Mansion - scared him too much and he didn't like Spaceship earth but tolerated it o.k. (that doesn't seem scary at all to me!). He LOVED Buzz Lightyear and those race cars in the MK that you can drive - though Dad had to drive for him ;-) He really liked Ice Station Cool at EPCOT. His favorite thing of all, however, was the kiddie pool at the POFQ. He loved the show at MGM that, at the time, was just Bear in the Big Blue House. Nothing else really at MGM got his attention. The Boneyard at AK and the K. Safari ride were hits - and he liked the Lion King show o.k. At 2.5 each kid is a little different but I'm sure there will be LOTS there yours will like. If you've been on your own before and this is the first time with a kid just keep in mind that you'll be doing things at a MUCH slower pace and there might be some rides (as adults) that you won't be able to fit in. I had been to WDW several times before having children and when bringing my first just tried to see it fresh through his eyes. I did get on some things just for myself (like TOT! and I did an eride night by myself) but it is a much different feeling to have a child with you!

Enjoy!!!

Carol G.

My daughter was 2 1/2 and my son was 3 1/2. My kids loved the parks and about once a week ask if we can go to Disney. My son didn't really like the characters - but reached an wary accomodation with them. My daugher treated them like big stuffed animals!

We didn't enjoy MGM too much at this age. We really enjoyed both Fantasyland at the MK and most of AK. They also enjoyed every parade we saw - I'd never been a parade type of Disney person (it was always a good time to ride some rides, the shorter lines made up for the inconvience of having to work your way around the parade route crowds), so it was very different for me. Neither of my kids did well with the 3D movies - didn't keep the glasses on and didn't get it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter