How Would These Guidelines Impact Disney Cruise Line

I spend very little time in my stateroom. It’s a place to shower and sleep and thats about it. I think most cruisers would agree with me.

You never run back into your room to change or grab something? In hospitality most people leave their hotel rooms between 9/10 and don’t return until at least 5 or later. However on the ship you’re never more than 10 flights from your room. There are so many different “key turns” on a stateroom than a hotel room and MANY MANY cruisers return to their room for the bathroom over public restrooms. Over 20 cruises I can tell you there are way more people on their balconies and coming in and out of their rooms the entire day than just using it for sleeping and showering.

The reality of it is, everyone will use their rooms for different reasons and there are many factors that contribute to that.

I prefer to sail in a verandah because I know I will spend time in the room and like to sit outside and watch the ocean go by. Some sail in inside staterooms because as the one comment above states, its just somewhere to shower and sleep. That's part of what makes a cruise so great, each person can create their own vacation so to speak.

I will say, on a cruise I tend to go to the room a lot more than (for example) a Disney World or Disneyland vacation. I can just pop into the room and drop something off/grab something easily on a ship where as, I have spent whole days in the parks without returning to the room.

Interesting topic, but Disney Cruise Line ships are registered in the Bahamas, not the USA. Most cruise lines are registered in foreign countries to circumnavigate US laws and taxes. Their mandated guidelines are probably with the Bahamian government. The WDW resorts will probably need to follow the state guidelines.

Interesting topic, but Disney Cruise Line ships are registered in the Bahamas, not the USA. Most cruise lines are registered in foreign countries to circumnavigate US laws and taxes. Their mandated guidelines are probably with the Bahamian government. The WDW resorts will probably need to follow the state guidelines.
True, but the company may take their guidance from what the park hotels are doing. That doesn't mean every point, but they will want a similar experience for guests who may be doing an land and sea. They certainly will want the guest to feel there is an equal amount of safety in either location.

I dont see a problem with asking this question. Ignore the grumpiness OP.

I wouldnt miss turn down or the towel animal. Well, I would miss the chocolate but maybe they can give those out at dinner. LOL

I wouldnt miss the glasses or coffeemaker or minibar stuff on cruises. I'd miss the lotion on DCL, theother lines can keep their toiletries. Id miss the convenience of not having to pack it but Id deal.

At first I would have said I could do without maid service for the week but there have been some interesting points made in thread. I guess Id be OK with every other day.

I see the half capacity for pool chairs being a huge issue for many people. It would probably impact me some but that's not a deal breaker for me.

Not sure how they would deal with the employee temperature thing. I know they could get quarantining figured out but they have a finite amount of staff on board. Would they start bringing some extras on board that are trained in a little bit of everything as fill ins for those that have a temperature? Add to that the decreased capacity of the ship (probably) and the extra crew needed to staff self serve areas and I have to question just how viable this is for the lines.

I think it's a valid question. I was thinking the same thing when I read it, knowing that cruise guidelines would be determined by a different group. In my hotel room, I wouldn't miss housekeeping. We have done DVC before, and it wasn't a huge loss. I would miss that on a cruise and the stateroom attendant interaction. Plus, the cabins and bathrooms get dirty easily with the sand and dirt from excursions. I don't do concierge, so there really isn't too much in the room. I would miss the toiletries, but I have snagged enough from previous trips to probably be fine for at least my upcoming cruise :rotfl2: You can also buy the same products and take them with you, especially if the smell brings good memories. I was pleased to see that pool would be open. We don't usually need loungers anyway. To be honest, most people don't really use the loungers, except to hold their stuff.

There's NO way these guidelines will be applicable on a cruise ship. DCL will eventually return to cruising, but they'll be doing it at a different level than what is being required for land based vacation. In all probability there won't be a return to cruising until after July 1, if that. The sheer fact that there often many international guests on board DCL ships, they have to balance the chance of someone from outside the country bringing the virus with them in their travels to the US to get on the ship. Additionally many guests from the U.S. and Canada require air travel which is another infection risk at this time. I get it, everyone wants to go cruising again, we all do. But until there's zero risk of anyone stepping on board a ship that could have the possibility of being infected (asymptomatic or not) the prudent thing is to hold off restarting the industry for now.

I’ve worked in the hotel industry back in the day, removing glasses and coffee machines aren’t because they don’t want maids touching them- it’s because these things are often NOT cleaned by maids, or someone runs a dry hand towel through a water glass and calls it good. If you are using a hotel coffee pot, there’s no guarantee it’s been washed with soap and water for months. Removing those items just acknowledges they weren’t clean before and we should probably remove high touch items that aren’t cleaned between guests.
I didnt mention coffee pots. I’m not sure what coffee pots have to do with daily maid service.

DCL ships follows Bahamas rules. Whatever DCL follows or decides to do, it is to maximize profit and minimize outbreak.

While it’s good that someone lay out a list of requirements to help curb an outbreak, what concerns me is that cruise lines have not yet figured out how the virus was heavily spread on ships.

I am not concerned I get a coffee cup less in room, I want to know they have the means to prevent an outbreak that cost lives.

DCL ships follows Bahamas rules. Whatever DCL follows or decides to do, it is to maximize profit and minimize outbreak.

A port could still decide to have more stringent requirements that the home country. Up to the lines of course if they want to utilize that port but I could see some sailings having different requirements than others based on the ports needs. Kinda like how there arent fireworks for some cruises.

I spend very little time in my stateroom. It’s a place to shower and sleep and thats about it. I think most cruisers would agree with me.

I haven't counted during a cruise but I'd guess I'm in and out of my stateroom 10-15 times a day.

It’s weird to me. I work in a hospital and never get sick. If I can touch highly infectious linen with gloves on why can’t a maid clean a room with gloves on and wash hands afterwards?
I hope people aren’t getting OCD. I’ve seen somebody battle that and it ruined their life.

Just read the comments for news stories on FB, many people may be well on there way. I am hoping that some of the comments and thoughts aren't going to impact people long term. Beyond the people commenting there are just as many that are very concerned over this as well. The most extreme are people saying if you leave your house you are causing deaths (cleaned up wording of course). I am trying to follow the science and look at the status of past viruses to determine when we cruise again, it may not be our 2021 cruise time will tell. At some point we have to move on and live our lives without fear. The risk is there in many forms everyday, we just have to do our best to stay safe and smart.

If we need masks and our stateroom isn't cleaned as often that will likely be a no go for us. The only reason we might is we are going to be on a new to passengers ship again, so that would be exciting. Toiletries not a big deal, losing the self serve buffet would be a minor inconvenience, social distancing not sure how on for shows and meals. It will be very interesting to see how this goes.

I am still of the opinion that cruise lines unfairly are getting blamed for this. Honestly the flight down would concern me more than the cruise. We did sail Super Bowl weekend out of Port Everglades and thankfully we didn't get sick. There are thoughts it was starting down there around that time.

I could do without the provided shampoo/conditioner as I bring my own anyway.
I only use the provided glassware to put the chocolates in that I bring home.
I like the towel animals but don't see how they would be any more "dangerous" than other towels in the room so don't see the need to eliminate them.
I could live without serving myself at buffets.
I don't see how masks would ever work in the dining room for the serving team unless they were the kind that had a clear front. I often need to read the lips of my servers as well as hear them. Some have very heavy accents and it helps me to also read their lips
I would enjoy more space between pool chairs but it is already hard to snag one (on the smaller ships) I can't imagine the rush to get them if there were less of them.

I feel if you are just consistent with washing your hands a lot and not getting too close to others you could be fine.

MJ

because a cruise ship is basically a floating hotel and these are guidelines for a land based hotel. House keeping on a cruise ship is not that different from housekeeping in a hotel, same industry, just different location. , one on land, one on sea. Disney Cruise Line will be very interested in these measures as a lot of them apply to staterooms on a cruise ship

While it’s good that someone lay out a list of requirements to help curb an outbreak, what concerns me is that cruise lines have not yet figured out how the virus was heavily spread on ships.

I am not concerned I get a coffee cup less in room, I want to know they have the means to prevent an outbreak that cost lives.

No FL port is located in Orange County. While, perhaps they will follow some of these guidelines, the cruise ships have to go way above and beyond what was listed by this committee to start sailing in and out of the US again. DCL ships do not have to only follow Bahamian law. If they want to embark or disembark in US ports, they need to comply with US govt. orders. No ship has free reign in the US simply because they are flagged in a foreign country. If they don't comply with the latest CDC No Sail order placed in the federal registry on April 15 (or if it's rescinded prior to the 100 day no sail order), no cruise ship will be embarking or disembarking from a US port: https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...otice-of-modification-and-extension-and-other

Last edited:
I like the towel animals but don't see how they would be any more "dangerous" than other towels in the room so don't see the need to eliminate them.
Towel animals are folded in the room, and I think some can take up to a few minutes to create. Hanging up new towels in the bathroom takes less than a minute.

The less time the host has to spend in your stateroom the better for all.

Just read the comments for news stories on FB, many people may be well on there way. I am hoping that some of the comments and thoughts aren't going to impact people long term. Beyond the people commenting there are just as many that are very concerned over this as well. The most extreme are people saying if you leave your house you are causing deaths (cleaned up wording of course). I am trying to follow the science and look at the status of past viruses to determine when we cruise again, it may not be our 2021 cruise time will tell. At some point we have to move on and live our lives without fear. The risk is there in many forms everyday, we just have to do our best to stay safe and smart.

If we need masks and our stateroom isn't cleaned as often that will likely be a no go for us. The only reason we might is we are going to be on a new to passengers ship again, so that would be exciting. Toiletries not a big deal, losing the self serve buffet would be a minor inconvenience, social distancing not sure how on for shows and meals. It will be very interesting to see how this goes.

I am still of the opinion that cruise lines unfairly are getting blamed for this. Honestly the flight down would concern me more than the cruise. We did sail Super Bowl weekend out of Port Everglades and thankfully we didn't get sick. There are thoughts it was starting down there around that time.
We sailed super bowl weekend on Allure out of port Everglades.

We sailed super bowl weekend on Allure out of port Everglades.

We were on adventure and left Saturday. The hotel prices were just awful. We did find a nice hotel though which was a win. Mcdonalds for a meal and gas station for soda and snacks right next to hotel.

Eventually, things will just be normal - a new normal, but it won't seem out of place and we will all remember back in the day when things were like before 2020.

For me the most difficult thing in looking at the lists for hotels and restaurants is that the operation costs look like they will be higher, but the service/convenience for the consumer will be lower. Thus, it looks like the consumer will want to pay a lot less for less service, yet the operations will cost a lot more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter