• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How would you react.....

This actually happened to me while watching Illuminations. An older woman was leaning on my son's stroller. The younger woman with her said "Stop that! There's a child in there!" So I didn't have to say anything. I just smiled at her.

wouldn't bother me in the least.

Would I do it? No..

But I don't get all upset at the little things, either...

It drives me crazy when people lean on my son's wheelchair... happens all the time when we are in a crowded area. I think it's really odd.

Hmmm... I'd have two very different reactions depending upon whether my kid(s) were in the stroller.

If empty, "Excuse me, are you okay? Perhaps you should find a place to sit."

If occupied, "Excuse me, would you please NOT lean on my children?!"

After reading this thread and one about folks' behavior on the busses, I'm staring to wonder if WDW is such a great place to go. Are most of the people there complete jerks?

My family is planning our first visit this April. We live in Japan, where rude behavior is pretty uncommon and any kind of confrontation is frowned upon (even a simple comment). My wife and kids would have no idea how to deal with something like that. (I'm American--I can handle it, but may not always be with them.)

Hmmm... I'd have two very different reactions depending upon whether my kid(s) were in the stroller.

If empty, "Excuse me, are you okay? Perhaps you should find a place to sit."

If occupied, "Excuse me, would you please NOT lean on my children?!"

After reading this thread and one about folks' behavior on the busses, I'm staring to wonder if WDW is such a great place to go. Are most of the people there complete jerks?

My family is planning our first visit this April. We live in Japan, where rude behavior is pretty uncommon and any kind of confrontation is frowned upon (even a simple comment). My wife and kids would have no idea how to deal with something like that. (I'm American--I can handle it, but may not always be with them.)

My family and I have been to Disney World several times, and have never had a confrontation with anyone. I honestly think it is all in what you make of it. Our family however is very laid back and there isn't that much that will bother us. We've never run into any rude people, but we are also so busy enjoying our family time that maybe we just don't notice it? We also have two little ones, and have never had any issues on the bus either. We find most people to be friendly and willing to help. I've never expected anyone to give up their seat for me when I am holding my kids, but someone always does, or at least offers the kids a spot to sit. We also squeeze in to make room for others, by putting my 2 kids on my lap and my dh will stand. At the parades, we usually end up chatting with whoever is next to us and find it fun to see where everyone is from. We are the ones that let the little kids behind us come up and sit with our kids so they can see. If you don't let the little things bother you, I'm sure you won't have a problem!

This happened to us as well.

I stared the person in the eye and said "Move or I WILL move you".

Didn't happen again.

I wouldn't be "upset" but I'd definitely say something along the lines of "Excuse me, you're leaning on my child's stroller". I wouldn't expect it would take more than that.

I can't imagine what makes a person think it would be ok to do that. :confused3

I would say "let me move that out of your way" and not let it bother me. But then, I rarely let the small stuff upset me.

DH, DMIL, DM, DS and I went to AK for my DS's 6th b'day a couple of weeks ago and I had my first ever confrontation at Disney.

We were back in the building by the petting zoo and were watching a cast member showing off an owl.

A woman, her husband and a little boy who was about 4 or so were standing beside us. The boy cut up a little (nothing really bad - I think he was just trying to drag her over to aother exhibit) and the woman kicked him. She was aiming for his backside, but he shifted and she kicked him with her Ugg clad foot right in the hip and sent him sprawling. Even with her soft boot, it made quite a loud impact noise and the child was on the floor crying.

I was standing right beside her looking at her in complete horror :eek: and she made the mistake of asking me what my problem was. We had a 30 second or so argument (while she told me I had no idea what they put up with out of him, that he deserved it, etc.) I walked away when another cast member walked up to her asked to speak with her. Something like that is worth the confrontation. A stroller, not so much...

I'd ask them in my nice sarcastic voice "excuse me, could you please refrain from leaning on my child?" :lmao:

I understand they think they are just leaning on a stroller, but it's not THEIR stroller and they have no idea if it could tip of start moving, etc.

My family and I have been to Disney World several times, and have never had a confrontation with anyone. I honestly think it is all in what you make of it. Our family however is very laid back and there isn't that much that will bother us. We've never run into any rude people, but we are also so busy enjoying our family time that maybe we just don't notice it? We also have two little ones, and have never had any issues on the bus either. We find most people to be friendly and willing to help. I've never expected anyone to give up their seat for me when I am holding my kids, but someone always does, or at least offers the kids a spot to sit. We also squeeze in to make room for others, by putting my 2 kids on my lap and my dh will stand. At the parades, we usually end up chatting with whoever is next to us and find it fun to see where everyone is from. We are the ones that let the little kids behind us come up and sit with our kids so they can see. If you don't let the little things bother you, I'm sure you won't have a problem!

Same here. I guess that we see what we want to see. When in WDW, we are oblivious to line jumpers and the like. We are there to have a good time and don't allow others to ruin our day...

That did happen to us several times last time we went. People for whatever reason would lean on or hang onto the handle bars of our stroller.

OMG! That never happened to me or I did not notice it. Or, maybe it's my fat neck and they stay away. If it were an person who was elderly or disabled, then I may not have a strong reaction. But, if it were anyone else, with my child there, I would move them.

To the poster that asked if Disney was even worth it with all the rudeness, I say yes. Sometimes I think half of what equals a rude situation is the reaction to it. If someone leans on your stroller and you snap with something like, "Move or I will move you." or whatever then I blame you as much as I blame the leaner. It's just not necessary.

Don't anyone take that wrong. It's not okay to lean. It's a total safety hazard for a child. Yes, the adult should absolutely know better and should not do it. No argument. But I love the one response given, "Let me move this out of your way." Simple. Effective. Polite.

I think it's taken me a bunch of trips to chill out about the crowds. Our most recent was the week after Christmas and please trust me when I tell you the crowds are never worse. I saw people losing their cool over it each day, yet our family had a fantastic time. Yep, it was ridiculously packed. You bet we waited in some really long lines. With no doubt we all got very tired and from time to time, we froze our rear ends off. But we've all just learned it's easier to adjust than confront because that never makes anyone feel good, me included.

So yes, I'd be displeased someone was leaning on my occupied stroller. But instead of being snappy about correcting it, I'd just correct it. In this situation, specifically, the guy wasn't going to argue with you about how it was actually okay for him to lean on it. And if it did, you'd have my blessing to take it to the next step.

And just for fun, with regard to parades, lines, shows, fireworks and buses, you only have three choices. Refuse to participate because of a safety issue, let someone else ruin your good time or make the best of it. Safety should come first (My two year old was once forced to stand on a bus and I swore I would sooner get off and wait for the next before doing that again.) but other than that, I always choose to make the best of it and enjoy myself.

Thank all of you for your answers. I did try to talk with the offender politely only to have her first deny (um, she's in my photos) then blow me off that it was ok. What I didn't say (because she insisted it was a stroller) is that it was actually my 4yr olds wheelchair. If it had tipped not only would my daughter have been hurt but between the chair and all of the equipment on it there could have been more than $10,000 damage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter