How Would You Respond to This?

I have severely limited my time on FB to about 15 minutes per day. Long enough to do a quick scroll, like some photos, and be done with it. It's been easy because to be honest, no one has anything worthwhile to say anymore. It's all "WEAR A ^&*#ING MASK!" "BLAHBLAH TRUMP BLAHBLAHBLAH" "MASK MASK MASK MASK MASK"

If you don't want to specifically unfollow that person, I highly recommend Social Fixer. It's a plugin available for browsers that you can apply filters that will automatically hide posts containing words you specify. I have anything with "COVID/corona/coronavirus/pandemic/quarantine/mask" blocked, as well as anything political. Social Fixer automatically hides them. You can choose whether it tells you that it hid a post or not. I do think it's only available for computer browsers, though I could be wrong (this has helped keep me off FB on my phone, too.) It also doesn't work if your friends post content in pictures intentionally to bypass the filters, since the plugin can't read photos. But it does cut down on the number of posts you see regardless.

As for that particular post - ignore it. She almost certainly doesn't care what you have to say, so why bother? Let her screech into the void like everyone else on social media does.

A family member posted this on Facebook, along with an anti-mask rant. She's into conspiracy theories and is appalled when someone has the nerve to disagree with her.

View attachment 512631
I wouldn't respond unless specifically asked to...to which I would respond that I found it very offensive and inappropriate. This kind of person would not be someone I would be friends with. - Honestly, if they're posting things like this, I would probably "unfriend" them.

We have had to put relatives on a 30 day snooze, from both the Right and the Left. We try to never post our political opinions. First, to keep the peace. Second, for better job security. Neither of us wants to hear the ranting and sniping from others.

We recently posted something as apolitical as you could get and someone had to go on a political rant in our comments. We politely explained that this was a post about family and friends, and since we keep politics off our FB, to please refrain from turning a harmless post political. They apologized...and then told us why their opinion was the only correct one.

I don’t want to see any relatives at Christmas, other than my spouse and child. Seriously. I refuse to listen to their blathering on about the election results and ruining our holiday. Since they can’t respect our “let’s keep it friendly and avoid political discussion” and instead MUST enlighten us all with their “facts,” I figure they made the decision for us. And I’m fine with it.

I just recently discovered our nephew has a Facebook account with a different name and all he posts are conspiracy theories and other Political craziness my DH and I totally disagree with. . To put it nicely he’s “different“ anyways when it comes to opinions and so we avoid him anyways. just see him at family things And are cordial. It’s important for me to know this because I will keep my kids away from him Or any political discussion that involves him. So OP just ignore.

Concerning that image though I am 1000% mask supporter that cartoon message can be taken in many different directions. For me I see the irony in the truth in it. you see one of the reasons why the US has a higher death for the under 50.

I’d consider the source and ignore it. Not everything posted online requires a response.

The problem with that meme is, it I choose an unhealthy diet and to be obese, that's my control (or lack thereof) over my well-being. If my neighbor chooses not to wear a mask near me, that's somebody who's not me make health decisions for me without my having any say.
On the other side, if I am choosing not to wear a mask, why are you coming near me if you are scared?

I have a lady from our small group from church. She emails various email forwards out to about 10 people about every 3 weeks. Like you, first I hit Snopes, generally don't have to go further. If not there, an additional Google search for another couple minutes always debunks what she sent. I email her the appropriate links, with nothing additional from me. She'll reply soon after, saying, "oops, sorry, I should have checked first. I'll have to email the others that it was false.".
That would drive me nuts. Just do the research first.

We have had to put relatives on a 30 day snooze, from both the Right and the Left. We try to never post our political opinions. First, to keep the peace. Second, for better job security. Neither of us wants to hear the ranting and sniping from others.

We recently posted something as apolitical as you could get and someone had to go on a political rant in our comments. We politely explained that this was a post about family and friends, and since we keep politics off our FB, to please refrain from turning a harmless post political. They apologized...and then told us why their opinion was the only correct one.

I don’t want to see any relatives at Christmas, other than my spouse and child. Seriously. I refuse to listen to their blathering on about the election results and ruining our holiday. Since they can’t respect our “let’s keep it friendly and avoid political discussion” and instead MUST enlighten us all with their “facts,” I figure they made the decision for us. And I’m fine with it.

I had something similar happen recently on FB. I posted something fun & lighthearted. One Negative Nancy swooped in and rained on the parade. I wasn't in the mood to debate him and since it was my FB post, I opted to delete his reply. The person was being a real butthole. If you want to be a butthole, do it on your own FB wall instead.

Concerning that image though I am 1000% mask supporter that cartoon message can be taken in many different directions. For me I see the irony in the truth in it. you see one of the reasons why the US has a higher death for the under 50.

Agreed. There is a lot of truth behind the cartoon, no matter which way you slice it. It's why I have spent this quarantine getting MY health in check. Because a majority of the USA sucks at being healthy.

I am 1000% a mask supporter, too, and don't go anywhere without it. But, you can't ***** about one aspect of staying healthy and not care about the others, the ones you can control, too.

All well and good, but (as in the cartoon) what do you suggest when the unmasked person approaches you?
Nothing as suggesting anything about the unmasked person approaching someone would assume I think the masks do anything.

No need to respond at all that I can see but if you can't help yourself, try something like "Wow, that meme is great. There are so many vulnerable people based on their risk factors, we really should be aware of how important it is to mask up for their sakes." :rolleyes1 Then you'd leave her sputtering for an appropriate response. ;)

Oh that's totally me when I'm at my worst/most snarky. Passive agressive isn't a great trait, but I think in situations like this sometimes it works!

But the mature rational thing to do is ignore it, like everyone else said.

Oh that's totally me when I'm at my worst/most snarky. Passive agressive isn't a great trait, but I think in situations like this sometimes it works!

But the mature rational thing to do is ignore it, like everyone else said.
I'd actually present it sincerely and in the most mild, unsnarky way possible (which will just keep them guessing ;) ). "A gentle answer turns away wrath."

I ignore political rants on social media and don't share my politics either. There is absolutely no point in doing so and nobody is changing anybody's mind.

I will say this about the cartoon, though. I was on a call last night about high risk were still going to be at home. They have now added smokers to high risk. Are you kidding me? I mean, the COVID is what's going to get them but the smoking is cool? Give me a break.

Nothing as suggesting anything about the unmasked person approaching someone would assume I think the masks do anything.
Okay, great that you or any non-mask-wearer think the masks do anything. But when you say
On the other side, if I am choosing not to wear a mask, why are you coming near me if you are scared?
...and I'm sitting somewhere and you approach me (as in the cartoon), could you please explain how I could stay away from you? And why?

Agreed. There is a lot of truth behind the cartoon, no matter which way you slice it. It's why I have spent this quarantine getting MY health in check. Because a majority of the USA sucks at being healthy.

I am 1000% a mask supporter, too, and don't go anywhere without it. But, you can't ***** about one aspect of staying healthy and not care about the others, the ones you can control, too.

Glad I read through all the responses before posting because you and I agree on this. There is so much going on in the cartoon that extends beyond the whole mask wearing thing. That is where we wind up having so many issues in this country because we tend to micro focus on issues so often and fail to look at the big picture. I support wearing a mask and have no issues with it but I would not appreciate someone scolding me for any aspect while disregarding themselves so much. We as Americans need to focus on the bigger picture and stop with the micro aggressions.

Okay, great that you or any non-mask-wearer think the masks do anything. But when you say
...and I'm sitting somewhere and you approach me (as in the cartoon), could you please explain how I could stay away from you? And why?
Same answer. I answered in 3rd person for both of the people. Masks are useless other than a feel good, false security, and proof of compliance, thus there is nothing to say whether I am approaching someone else or someone else is approaching me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter