• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How young is TOO young for Disney?

There are so many variables to consider that you have to weigh the pros and cons. For us, we have been going to WDW since our 1st DD was 10 months old (so that means I live in the "Imaginary" life) and we have had great memories. But for us it's easier, we live in Florida and have seasonal APs, so we can make more trips. Believe me, if we had to fly we would probably only go every other year. Our oldest DD still loves to watch the videos from the trips when she was a baby. The first trip as a family we had to learn that we could not tour the parks like we used to and that our new motto was going to be "slow and steady". We learned that going back to the resort for naps did not work for us and that our DD had better sleep in the stroller, so we would find a snack place to sit and we would both just relax and people watch or one of us would go and shop or hit an adult ride. Our last trip that we had over Thanksgiving week was the most unproductive, we still had a great time but only because we have been there numerous times and if we do not get ot go on a lot of rides it is no longer a big deal. The reason it was so unproductive was because our youngest DD (now 16 months) had just started walking a couple of weeks prior to the trip and now that she had a taste of freedom, she did not want to stay in the stroller for any length of time. She wanted to walk, so managing a 16 month old through the crowds was not easy and very SLOW:) My DW found some very cute shoes for our DD to wear, they had squeakers built into the heals, so when she walked she would squeak. This helped because she is so small and people just do not see her, but a lot of them were able to hear her:) It got funny towards the end of our trip, we would be in a park and over hear someone say, "hey there's that squeaker baby that we saw the other day".
Some parents do not to lug around a stroller, we never had any issues with them, when we get in line for a bus or other transportation, the DW will take the baby and maybe a bag and then I would fold up the stroller and carry the rest of the bags, just do it BEFORE you get to the front of the line.

It is an individual decision. Only you know your child and whether or not she/he could handle the trip. I would suggest if any way possible trying to go when weather is mild, although weather is a crapshoot when you are trying to plan well in advance! I have been when it was terribly hot and have seen people with very young infants and wondered what are these people thinking! I think the key is be realistic as to what a child can handle in a given day and be willing to change plans or head back to the resort for a nap.

I wouldn't take a young infant (i.e. one that hasn't had their first DTaP series or is RSA prone).

But once you get past that - before they walk is best. Toddlerhood can be truly magical, but its a frustrating trip in some ways for everyone....kids get tired easily, they want to walk, and crowds aren't great toddling places. Expectations for a toddler trip should be set to "reasonable" - i.e. we are going to get on Dumbo, see Mickey and check off maybe half a dozen other things - not "we are going to commando the park with a toddler in tow" (not that people aren't successful doing that, just if that is your expectation, you'll probably be disappointed). Preschoolers bring the enchantment of toddlerhood with a little more self control and maybe less naps/later bedtimes. Early elementary is wonderful - still magical, they don't need naps, they can enjoy a lot more.

Each age (except, perhaps the surly teenager stage) has its charms.

We just got back and DS is 3.5 months :) He just sat in the stroller and watched everything go by. He got SO. much. attention. from every woman from 15 to 85. (He is quite a cutie though. ;))

If you take a deep breath and KNOW that you won't do everything you want to do and you won't be able to eat at most places without getting up 100 times and know that you won't be able to stay up and watch fireworks, and know that everything will revolve around your child - then any age is fine.

We went last summer just before DS turned 2 - very hard age for an active 2 year old! I should have waited to go this summer - but didn't want my oldest to be "too old" to enjoy the magic.

My wife and I have always been huge Disney fans. We have two children who are now 16 and 18. Here is what we did. We wanted our youngest to be at least 5 before going. First of all we wanted her to be old enough to remember some things. Secondly, we wanted it to be magical for her. And third we wanted her to know that DW was the "happiest place on earth". I have the video of here seeing Cinderella's castle for the first time and wouldn't change anything for that moment and more. No strollers, no diapers, and she knew just how special a place she was in. She is now 16 and remembers some of the most important things of her first trip but fortunately we have been back many time since then. Disney World is still a very special place for her because of that first trip.

We took our two kids in 2006 when our DD was 4.5 and our son was 1.5. It was the perfect time for her because she was in love with the Princesses. We did everything Princess you could do at the time and had a blast. Our little guy also had a BLAST! He was able to ride several things and just loved watching everything. I really didn't think he would want to ride in the stroller the second day after riding several miles the first day, but we all cracked up when the alarm clock went off and he scrambled out of bed and jumped in the stoller in his jammies ready to go for the day! We are going back in October 2011 (he will be 6.5) for "his" trip which will be pirate themed.
pirate:

I think under 6 months is too young mostly due to picking up illnesses. We took DD at 6 months and again at 10 months. The second trip was definitely better. The year she was between 2 and 3 we went 5x and each trip was different. You know how much they change each month, they will get different things out of different ages, even a few months apart. I say go when you can and return when you can :thumbsup2

We've been taking our girls since they were infants. I have fond memories of every age. 1.5 is the age where they look around, take it all in, wave to the characters, they may be a little unsure of them, etc. My girls are 6 and 3 and have enjoyed Disney at all ages.

The wife and I have been to WDW about 15 times. We took our daughter who was 5.5 months old just after thanksgiving this year. She was taking everything in on the rides and loved watching the jelly fish at turtle talk. She was not afraid of any of the characters and even tried to eat Minnies nose and Donalds beak(sp). she loved the Festival of the Lion King.

Before we went we heard, she will not remember anything. to young... to us no age is to young and we are thinking the more we can show her now the less scared she maybe in the future.

This all being said just understand one thing this trip and all future are all about her, no more commando style. She gets fussy go to baby center and let them unwind and de stimulate.

We *just* took our kids ages 10, 8, 17mos. Our 1yo did just fine and had a *great* time! Some words to the wise for this age:

Make sure baby is comfortable with mode of transportation. We used the baby carrier we'd used for over a year. She hates strollers, but loved being carried and walking. We were both comfy with her on me, so we were fine.

Watch the temp to keep baby comfy. If not with you, it would be very easy to let baby get too hot/cold.

Keep an eye on how tired baby gets. Ours slept with me when she was tired, but we saw *lots* of overtired tots there. If baby won't sleep easily in the parks, plan some downtime at your resort.

Carry some snacks & a drink for baby. Ours uses a straw, so we carried a small water bottle with flavoring and a couple of straws and did just fine. Prepackaged snacks or snacks in ziplock bags worked well.

We trained baby to walk holding our fingers well before we went. It worked well for us. If that isn't working for you, or you plan to go at a busy time, you may want to consider some kind of tether so baby can walk sometimes and stay safe.

Have fun!

The first time we took our youngest was when he was 2.5, and he did really well. We've been twice since then (4 and 4.5), and he did great both times. The biggest thing was that he had to have a nap when he was 2, so we just planned around nap time. The big kids needed them as much as he did! :)

If you can only take a child once in his or her life, I'd say 5 is perfect, but it sounds like this will not be the only time you take your DD, so if that's the case, go for it. -

I totally agree. We took DD at 18m, 26m, and 3y. She enjoyed all of them, but moreso the older she was. Either way, it's a lot of work for you. :)

We *just* took our kids ages 10, 8, 17mos. Our 1yo did just fine and had a *great* time! Some words to the wise for this age:

Make sure baby is comfortable with mode of transportation. We used the baby carrier we'd used for over a year. She hates strollers, but loved being carried and walking. We were both comfy with her on me, so we were fine.

Watch the temp to keep baby comfy. If not with you, it would be very easy to let baby get too hot/cold.

Keep an eye on how tired baby gets. Ours slept with me when she was tired, but we saw *lots* of overtired tots there. If baby won't sleep easily in the parks, plan some downtime at your resort.

Carry some snacks & a drink for baby. Ours uses a straw, so we carried a small water bottle with flavoring and a couple of straws and did just fine. Prepackaged snacks or snacks in ziplock bags worked well.

We trained baby to walk holding our fingers well before we went. It worked well for us. If that isn't working for you, or you plan to go at a busy time, you may want to consider some kind of tether so baby can walk sometimes and stay safe.

Have fun!

I can't imagine carrying a one and a half year old through the parks extensively - you must have the stamina of a Sherpa!

I can't imagine carrying a one and a half year old through the parks extensively - you must have the stamina of a Sherpa!

Thanks! But to be honest, it really wasn't that big a deal. For one thing, she's less than 24 lbs (tall, but doesn't weigh much). Second, I've been carrying her in one wrap or another (I own 2) since she was 6 weeks old, so my ability to carry her in it has grown with her. Thirdly, this is our 3rd vacation with her that we didn't bring a stroller (others were Chicago for a week and Springfield IL for 4 days). It really just works for us, esp since baby *doesn't* like strollers or carseats :)

Both of my children were 18 months old when they went on their first Disney trip and we've gone every year since and sometimes twice a year or more. Younger than 18 months wouldn't have been a problem as well because they sleep more at a younger age, which makes it easier to see the things that you want to see.

We took DS @ 14 months, and again just shy of 3. Both trips were great, both trips he was in diapers, and both trips he slept fine. He was and still is a great sleeper though.

I think if you plan on going many times anyway, just go when she's 1 1/2. She won't remember it, but you will. My most favorite Disney memory is from DS's first trip. We were watching FotLK and he was standing on my dad's lap. He LOVED that show so much, bouncing, grunting and giggling. My dad and I were the only ones to see this, but we both teared up (and my dad's not the teary kind of guy). Just looking back to that moment 3 1/2 years ago makes me tear up. My dad and I both would tell you it was one of the most magical Disney moments. So, while DS clearly has no recollection of that, I will never forget it! You are a Disney fan. You will have a moment like that that will be worth it all...the nap issues, the diaper changes, the stroller. Go at a slower pace and take cues from her. Even if you see less than you're used to, you'll still have a great time because it will be your first trip as a family.

Now, if this were a once in a lifetime, or one of 2 or 3 lifetime trips for her, I'd say wait. But it doesn't seem to be the case for you. If you and DH want to go, go for it. Have a blast!

Personally I wouldn't go if I was in my last few months of pregnancy or if my baby had not had his/her first round of shots. Other than that I don't think there is really a 'TOO young' age. We are going this summer, my DD will be 17 months and my DS will be 7 (turns 8 while there!). I wanted to do a trip while my DS was still young enough that the trip would be magical and he could experience things as a child. My DD will probably not remember the trip but she will have fun looking at people and things. We will go again when she is around 7-8 (maybe sooner???). Where we live, the flights alone can be as pricey as the hotel and theme park tickets combined so we won't be able to go every year or even every couple of years. We will be lucky to go to Disney World 2-3 times and Disneyland at least once. If I was only going to get to go ONCE I would wait until my youngest child was at least 4 because that is when children start developing those long lasting memories!

229 days and counting! :cool1::woohoo::cheer2:

We took my oldest for the 1st time the week before she turned 3. WE took my middle child for the first time at 10 months and again the week she turned 3. So far, we've taken my youngest at 14 weeks (he was the easiest one that trip, although it was in November and we had perfect weather) and will be taking him again in June at 10 months. I haven't take an 18 month old, but would certainly be up to it. Just take it at your little one's pace. My kids aren't "nap on command" kids, so trips back to the room don't work for us, but they are more than willing to fall asleep in the stroller for an hour or two, and again when they get tired at night. We did a lot of our baby swap wtuff while they slept.

I took my daughter for the first time at 16 mo and she loved it - in many ways was easier than when we took her at 2.5 because she sat better in the restaurants. Two years olds are the worst at sitting in restaurants!! I think all ages are great for Disney!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter