Howard Johnson vs Best Western Stovalls Inn?

Lacincotta

Earning My Ears
Hello! I will be traveling to Disneyland 6/23-6/26 with my husband and two kids 8 & 10. I booked a room which I got a good rate on for the Howard Johnson but in a non renovated room. I also have a room booked at Best Western Stovalls inn for just a bit more but Stovalls has 2 queen beds and breakfast. Which would you choose??

Our first stay at DLR was at Howard Johnson when our kids were a little younger than yours. We really enjoyed it. A real easy walk down Harbor Blvd to get to the security area. The spray park was nice which I don't see the Best Western having. They also have a pool. I can't speak to how the Best Western is. Getting breakfast would be nice. I think the proximity to the parks is better at HoJo but I'd have to map it to be sure. We're grab and go breakfast types when we go to DLR so we usually have a small meal like a muffin while we're walking down Harbor Blvd to the security area. We'll then get something inside the parks at Jolly Holiday or the Starbucks in CA.

I haven't tried Stovall's but we really liked Hojo. We stayed like 10 years ago, so definitely in an un-renovated room! We were in building 2. We were very comfortable and didn't hear any street noise from the highway. The garden pool is really nice and the water park was fun, too. When we stay at hotels without breakfast we just get muffins or yogurt or cereal to eat at the hotel before we head to the parks. Also, Mimi's is right next to Hojo, and they have great breakfasts :)

Haven't stayed at HOJO but have stayed at stovalls several times. Basic rooms but very clean. Nice pool area and classic topiary garden (so cool). Breakfast is such a big plus. Nothing fancy but nice selection to start your day. Walking in from that side you'll often have far fewer people at security. On the way back to the hotel you can cut through the grand Californian to save steps (not allowed on the way in). They sell passes for the ART shuttle if you don't want to walk.

Be aware that the unrenovated rooms at HOJO are very unrenovated. Like, 60's bathrooms and an 80s/90s-ish style to the main part of the room. The rooms are large, beds are comfy, but know what to expect. A similar room in Anytown, USA on the side of the highway would run you about $60/night.

Be aware that the unrenovated rooms at HOJO are very unrenovated. Like, 60's bathrooms and an 80s/90s-ish style to the main part of the room. The rooms are large, beds are comfy, but know what to expect. A similar room in Anytown, USA on the side of the highway would run you about $60/night.
How can you tell if you have an unrenovated room? We booked the one with the bunk beds. I'm assuming that's one of the newly renovated ones.

How can you tell if you have an unrenovated room? We booked the one with the bunk beds. I'm assuming that's one of the newly renovated ones.

It's likely yours is renovated (for sure if it's building 1). Buildings 3-6 are not renovated, they are 2-story buildings with either 2 doubles or 2 queens. (Hope you see this reply, my computer is being weird)

Hojo does have a small store with quick prepackaged breakfast items, yogurt etc. It's not the cheapest place to buy such things but it is convenient (in addition, of course, to the other food options on the way to the parks mentioned above).

I've read that the Hojo has balconies, but that they can only be entered through a closet and are shut off from the rest of the room. Are all of the balconies like that, or just some?

I've read that the Hojo has balconies, but that they can only be entered through a closet and are shut off from the rest of the room. Are all of the balconies like that, or just some?
Um...no. I'm guessing that description was used about accessing the balcony in a freeway-facing building 1 family suite room. I don't remember going through the closet, but there was a closet right next to the balcony. They did a double-door kind of thing I think for the remodel to help reduce the effect of the freeway noise, so maybe that was the closet comment? Or maybe they were in some way attached... Anyway, been a few years since we stayed in those rooms so I can't quite picture it. Plus, since they faced the freeway, we didn't use those balconies. Most Hojo rooms don't even have closets I think.

Some but not all building 2 rooms have balconies, and I know I have seen balconies/patios attached to rooms in the center buildings. We have never stayed in buildings 3-6.

We most recently stayed in a building 1 park facing room. There is a sliding glass door that you open to step out onto the balcony. No closets were involved.

Um...no. I'm guessing that description was used about accessing the balcony in a freeway-facing building 1 family suite room. I don't remember going through the closet, but there was a closet right next to the balcony. They did a double-door kind of thing I think for the remodel to help reduce the effect of the freeway noise, so maybe that was the closet comment? Or maybe they were in some way attached... Anyway, been a few years since we stayed in those rooms so I can't quite picture it. Plus, since they faced the freeway, we didn't use those balconies. Most Hojo rooms don't even have closets I think.

Some but not all building 2 rooms have balconies, and I know I have seen balconies/patios attached to rooms in the center buildings. We have never stayed in buildings 3-6.

We most recently stayed in a building 1 park facing room. There is a sliding glass door that you open to step out onto the balcony. No closets were involved.
Great! Thanks for the clarification.

We stayed at the HoJo in 2009 and our 7 year old at the time LOVED it. The water park was fun and he loved the gift shop more than the stores at Disneyland! The room was dated but clean and the price was right!

We like Hojo, but know your 10 year old is going to be on the high end age wise of enjoying their little water park. It's really perfect for younger kiddos. We've stayed there twice. Once in unrenovated and once renovated with bunk beds. Actually likes the unrenovated more.. it had more free space. Don't remember feeling it was outdated. Last I heard they were still requiring reservations for their little water park but not for their regular pool.

We enjoyed how Panera and McDonald's was on the path to the parks to and from hojo. Used mobile order to pick up breakfast a few times.

Even tho my kiddo has about grown out of the water park, would still consider staying there.

I've only been to Disneyland a handful of times, but have actually stayed at both! I think they were both good. I didn't have a child at the time so didn't pay any attention to the splash pad. I thought the pool area at stovalls was pretty cute. I found stovalls a bit loud, we happened to be on the side by the dumpster so could hear the garbage truck early in the morning. But it was quieter than Grand Legacy. Both walks were similar enough, leaving DCA through Grand Californian to Stovalls was nice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter