Howdy...

Maistre Gracey

DIS Veteran
Hi everybody. Some here may remember me, some may not.
I was an active poster here a few years ago, as well as a high point owner (2000 points?? 21 contracts??)
Anyway, we sold all of our contracts, and are actually happy we did so.
I had a GREAT job that I knew I was going to lose (part of the reason we sold, but not the entire reason), but instantly got a new job. Pure coincidence my new job is in Orlando, and we now live 20 minutes from WDW.
It's nice running to dinner at WDW on a whim, but it's odd that it's no longer a vacation.

Anyway, I have fond memories of the "old" Disney (think Pleasure Island and clean rooms) and the DVC.

See ya on the boards...

MG

Ditto Carol's comment! Welcome back, yes - you were missed! And yes, congrats on the new job and relocation!

Welcome back, WDW will become a different experience as a local, looking forward to your posts.

:earsboy: Bill

Another welcome back. Look forward to hearing your local perspective.

Welcome Back. Enjoyed reading your posts for several years, even before I joined. Looking forward to reading the posts to come.

Thank you everybody for the warm welcome back.
In skimming through the threads there are many good people here that I know, and many new faces (names).

I hope to contribute, but I will have limited DVC knowledge at this point. So much has changed....

That said, anyone who flys Frontier Airlines to MCO, always poke your head in the cockpit and ask for Karl. You never know.....

MG

Glad to see you, always think of you when visiting the HM. We, unlike some, love the new Disney and we always get clean rooms.

How could I forget that avatar? Welcome back! Life works out in the most interesting of ways, doesn't it? Did you go through withdrawals after selling your points? :oops:

Thanks again to all friends... Old and new.

To answer the question about the transition from DVC Member to local...
Several thoughts here.

1) When I was DVC I only understood booking dinner ressies several months out. I couldn't understand why this was such an issue. Point is, NOW I see the other side. It totally stinks when wifey and I want to run to dinner at Disney... And cannot get a single restaurant. Now that I see the other side, it's totally unfair. Yes, I can also book six months out, BUT IM NOT ON VACATION!!!! I don't know my schedule, etc.... It's just different. Now I understand BOTH sides.

2) Discounts. We get some discounts DVC does not get concerning different AP options, but some of yours are better. MNSSHP is one example. Yes, we can also buy DVC and get those deals, but who really would when you live 20 minutes away??
Sometimes I think there should be "Florida resident" discounts, and a different category for "Orange County residents".

4) I would not have believed this as a DVC / on site aficianado, but indeed the full beauty and theme of the resort can be achieved simply by visiting. When the bartender at The GF bar asks if we are staying in the hotel, I'm proud to say "no, I live here". That generally leads to another conversation about local stuff, as well as captures the ear of nearby patrons.

5) Damn tourists get off the GD road!!!!
J/K of course!!!!

MG

2) Discounts. We get some discounts DVC does not get concerning different AP options, but some of yours are better. MNSSHP is one example. Yes, we can also buy DVC and get those deals, but who really would when you live 20 minutes away??
Sometimes I think there should be "Florida resident" discounts, and a different category for "Orange County residents".
Could be worse. Disneyland does not offer a CA-wide discount but only to "So Cal" (restricted by zip code range).

4) I would not have believed this as a DVC / on site aficianado, but indeed the full beauty and theme of the resort can be achieved simply by visiting.
Yes, indeed! We feel the same when visiting Disneyland as locals and "just hanging" at the Grand Cal for a spell.

Very cool.

How did you turn out selling DVC?

Hope you didn't sell to soon as they are still climbing.

Not interested in even one small one?

If we moved there I would still stay DVC on occasion just for fun.

Do you use last minute FP+ by the way?

Very cool.

How did you turn out selling DVC?

Hope you didn't sell to soon as they are still climbing.

Not interested in even one small one?

If we moved there I would still stay DVC on occasion just for fun.

Do you use last minute FP+ by the way?
Overall we did pretty well. The worst was our VB, which we took a beating. Our best was VGC, which we sold for significantly more than we bought for.
All sales happened very quickly. Nothing was on the market more than a few days. Our VGC sold the instant it was listed, for full asking price (400 points, all 25 and 50 point contracts).

All considered I'm estimating we got back what we put in, less mtc fees. So, we vacationed for many years for the cost of fees (roughly, never did the complete math).

MG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter