How's Coral Reef?

RoseGold

DIS Veteran
I booked Coral Reef for next week, because I thought Chefs de France really went down in quality, and there are no festival booths. I assume this is all ambiance and food will be edible. Anyone had something decent there?

We had a period of time 15+ years ago where we wouldn't go to CR because our experiences had been so poor. We avoided it for at least 10 years. We decided to give it a try just before Covid hit, and we've been there 3 times since - and the food and service were much improved. We enjoyed it. THAT being said, we were there in December, and the menu selections were a little lacking - a seafood restaurant with minimal seafood. But we saw things missing at several restaurants, so hopefully that was just a short-term problem.

We've tried CR several times and aren't thrilled with it. We won't be returning.

We ate there a few years ago after staying away for a while…..thought we would give it another shot. The service and the food were both bad. IMHO, it is one of those restaurants that could be great, but never is.

There is not a wide variety, but I have been happy with Shrimp and grits.

We always go for the ambiance. The food is meh. I'm vegetarian but DH, mom, and both DS eat seafood/chicken and it's never been anything they rave about. Back in the day it was great. The vegetarian option last time I was there was just ok. If I had my say, I'd go elsewhere but I get outvoted every time.

CR in 2018 with adult family (6 total). We were disappointed and wrote CR off for any future dining.

CR in 2021 for the CP Dining Package with a group of 6 adults. The meal was a lot better than I expected or had hoped for. I think having a bunch of friends sharing the moment helped enhance the meal experience.

Will we do CR again? Probably not unless its a last option for a special Dining Package.

YMMV

If you happen to get lucky and sit right next to one of the tanks, it’s a cool experience with edible food. If you get a table away from the tanks, you still have a good view, and it’s very peaceful, but then the food doesn’t seem as passable.

If you happen to get lucky and sit right next to one of the tanks, it’s a cool experience with edible food. If you get a table away from the tanks, you still have a good view, and it’s very peaceful, but then the food doesn’t seem as passable.
I agree. We were in the front row last month. It wouldn't be quite the same in back. The aquarium is no doubt part of the attraction here. Enjoy it and your company and I think you'll be good.

We had a wonderful experience with our server. She told me that if I didn't like my prime rib she would bring me something else. While the rib was not at all on the level of Le Cellier, I wasn't going to wait for something else. I just felt like a steak, and it was... "passable". ;)

Our seafood eaters enjoyed their meals. I would suggest asking for advice on the dishes so that you don't get something unexpected.

The mahi has been good every time I have had it. I had the shrimp and grits once and it was decent. Mine are better, but mine are better than a lot of places. There are only 5-6 options on the menu and these are still there. I haven't had anything else that's still on the menu, but nobody I've been with thought anything was BAD. Getting seated in a timely manner and meal pace can be a totally different story.

Like all food it's subjective. I ate there for the first time in about 15 years last year. The food was o.k., nothing to write home about but not bad. I was at one of the tables on the upper level and could see the tank fine but it really wasn't a big deal for me. I've been diving in it twice so it's not necessary to see it while I eat. Once I was seated, my service was good, I had to wait about 20 min. after my ADR time to be sat and the whole thing was a little confusing. There was someone outside at a podium checking people in. Some people were by passing her and just going in so it was unclear if you needed to check in there or not. Once I got inside, I still had to check in again at the front desk area. I sat and watched a number of people being seated before me, but I was solo so I'm guessing two tops were not turning over as fast as other tables. If I needed a last minute ADR (I booked that one for 7 pm at around 5 pm) I would be fine eating there again. At the time, I just didn't want something from the booths and wasn't in the mood to go to another park.

It's marathon weekend, so there are no booths. Ugh, this sounds rough. My little one really likes the tanks when we ride Nemo, so I thought we could get some appetizers and split some stuff. Sounds like this is going to be a pretty rough ride food-wise.

Chefs de France and Garden Grill were terrible, won't be back. Kid won't eat the Mexican options. That leaves Via Napoli and Spice. Maybe we should just go to the Sunshine food court?

It's marathon weekend, so there are no booths. Ugh, this sounds rough. My little one really likes the tanks when we ride Nemo, so I thought we could get some appetizers and split some stuff. Sounds like this is going to be a pretty rough ride food-wise.

Chefs de France and Garden Grill were terrible, won't be back. Kid won't eat the Mexican options. That leaves Via Napoli and Spice. Maybe we should just go to the Sunshine food court?
It’s very peaceful, and it should be quiet and will be a nice break from the crowds. That will def be a plus. And since it isn’t a prix fixe or anything, you’re not required to order anything that doesn’t look appealing. You could just get drinks, apps, and/or a dessert if you wanted and then hit up the food court if you didn’t get enough.

We booked Coral Reef for one of the flower and garden concert dining packages in April. We’ve never eaten there before but when I asked my almost 3 yo if he’d rather eat there or Garden Grill he picked “the aquarium” lol. I’m hoping it ends up being okay. We’ve done Garden Grill without him before and didn’t like the food choices

Do Via Napoli instead. The food there is really good.

Coral Reef is one of those places where you're there for the atmosphere and notning else. Food is terrible.

I had dinner there last week. There were 4 of us and we all enjoyed our meals. We were allowed to wait for a table next to the tank. Our server was great and she was very knowledgeable about the creatures in the tank.

It was a one and done for me. We were right by the tanks, which was cool, but there was nothing memorable about the food.

We ate there in 2019, so the food could have gotten better, but it was just average at best. What really makes the place is getting to sit close to the tanks.

Originally, my family was seated near the back of the restaurant. Our waitress suggested that we act a little disappointed (we didn't actually need to do anything) and she would go back to the host stand and get us reseated. She got us moved to the front row! I'm sure that has to do with the time of day/capacity, but it was a nice little treat from her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter