How's the dog thing going?

We stayed BC. I will say, it was a surprise seeing so many dogs walking around. I forgot for a moment and was really confused. None were a problem during our recent stay. I think the main question is—do you really wanna keep your dog cooped up in a room all day while you tour the parks?

Since BC is not a dog resort ......... I am curious where you saw these dogs walking around.

I saw a few dogs during our stay at POR. They were all on leashes, well behaved. Nothing gross like dogs eating off of tables, thank goodness. Actually, I witnessed the cutest moment where this little boy and his mom were walking their golden retriever and the little boy looked up at his mom and said "I can't believe he's here with us at DISNEY, Momma!!" He looked so happy, made me smile. I was reminded that some families are really bonded with their pets - to the point where, yes, they take them to Disney.

I was not happy when the news about pet-friendly hotels came out. I'm glad to say my Disney vacation wasn't disrupted in any way by the new policy. That being said, I know some people have had bad experiences. It really stinks that some dog owners are taking advantage of this privilege. I agree with the previous posters that have said all "incidents" should be reported to a CM.

We stayed at a cabin at Fort Wilderness from 1/2-1/9

We had originally booked the cabin before the dog policy was announced. I was upset by the policy and changed my reservation to a 2 bedroom at OKW. Just days after changing the res. I spoke over the phone with a CM who assured me that the dog areas were totally separate from the non-dog areas and NO guest would have to be in a dog area if they did not want to. She told me the dog loops for FW cabins were the 2200 and 2300 loops. About a week before our trip, an opening came up in the FW Cabins so I switched back to cabins and immediately phoned in a request to be placed away from the dogs.

On the way to the airport, I received my room assignment text---in the 2200 loop! To say I was upset is an understatement. As soon as I was through security, I called Disney and they were able to change me to the 2800 loop. We did not see or hear a dog our entire stay (at the camp ground.)

I did see several dogs in the parks--a couple were wearing vests that seemed to indicate they were a service dog, but some were being carried in arms by their owners.

I would never have thought much of anything about the dog policy but I stepped in a HUGE pile of poo at the Poly of all places, during our July visit. Husband and I were on a lovely moonlit stroll late on our last night and stepped off the boardwalk that surrounds the bungalows. What I stepped in appeared to have been left by a HORSE it was so big. My shoe was ruined. DH noticed that there were multiple piles in fact, leading off the sand and onto the path. It must have been a very large dog, with stomach drama to boot.

We went into our room and tried to use the bathtub to clean the mess. I called housekeeping too, not only to let them know about the piles outside but also asking them to do a sanitize on the tub when we checked out the next morning. This got DH and I talking about the fact that we had seen more dogs around this trip, and that there will always be people who test the rules and always people who don't CLEAN UP after their animals.

I would never have thought much of anything about the dog policy but I stepped in a HUGE pile of poo at the Poly of all places, during our July visit. Husband and I were on a lovely moonlit stroll late on our last night and stepped off the boardwalk that surrounds the bungalows. What I stepped in appeared to have been left by a HORSE it was so big. My shoe was ruined. DH noticed that there were multiple piles in fact, leading off the sand and onto the path. It must have been a very large dog, with stomach drama to boot.

We went into our room and tried to use the bathtub to clean the mess. I called housekeeping too, not only to let them know about the piles outside but also asking them to do a sanitize on the tub when we checked out the next morning. This got DH and I talking about the fact that we had seen more dogs around this trip, and that there will always be people who test the rules and always people who don't CLEAN UP after their animals.

Sad that this happened to you.

I hope you will also notify WDW Guest Communications, to help make them aware that dogs are now present in increasing numbers even in resorts not designated as pet-friendly. I never saw so many "service dogs" in the theme parks and around the property in areas other than the designated dog-friendly resorts, as I did on my most recent trip last November. I hope nothing like this happens to you again, but if it does, you could ask to see a manager right away and show them your messed-up shoes.

It is concerning that one can no longer enjoy a stroll around resort grounds at night without this risk of stepping in something.

Please contact Guest Communications! Let them know about your horrible experience and request a credit for new shoes. The more we let these things slide; the more we will see of them. What you've experienced is just a small sampling of what's to come if these irresponsible dog owners go unchecked. (Just look at the huge increase of fake Service dogs in the parks! We never used to see that.) When I go on vacation to Disneyworld, I don't want to see, hear, or smell dogs.....or step in dog poop. It's just not acceptable. So folks, like the saying goes; if you see something; say something! Let Guest Services know if you'd like Disney to go back to being dog-free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter