How's the partial federal government shutdown affecting you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
LSU.... I would consider that to be an issue with 'Essential Personnel'.
Not a budget disagreement / shutdown.

There should be emergency funds.
That is what should be corrected.
It seems that 'shutdowns' are becoming more the norm over the last few years.

It seems they make it really hard for the 420,000 that has to work. The 380,000 that can’t work can get unemployment. I know some states it’s not much and they will be required to pay it back if they get paid for the shutdown. It will help them out during this time. Just really bad for the 420,000.

Has anyone taken the step to express their opinion on the shutdown to your legislators? I have begun to contact mine to let them know my thoughts, my concerns and my expectations for them to get the ball rolling. I'm wondering if I get any response, if I just get the canned response, or if I'll actually get contacted back for more in depth information?

My guess is you'll get a canned response, but don't let that discourage you! They still absolutely tall/keep track of the issues that people write about and where you stand on the issue. (Not to say that constituent input is the only thing they consider, of course...)

There is a bank in my area that is offering interest free loans (paycheck advances have you) to any Federal Worker effected. It would be nice if more banks would step up like that to help those in need:thumbsup2.

The bank my stepdaughter works at is doing the same, up to a certain limit. Highly paid federal employees can get an advance up to a certain percentage of their salaries.

Or you can have your mortgage payment suspended until the furlough is over with no extra interest or penalties.

My guess is you'll get a canned response, but don't let that discourage you! They still absolutely tall/keep track of the issues that people write about and where you stand on the issue. (Not to say that constituent input is the only thing they consider, of course...)

That's absolutely my guess as well -- followed by a barrage of "informative" responses for the next several months designed to sell me the idea they're solving all of the world's problems with the groundbreaking and innovative things they're leading the charge on.

Quite frankly I don't think it hurts at all that constituent contact is a reminder that they were elected to do a job and they serve at the pleasure of the people. It can't hurt to be reminded what one member of their constituency thinks about this issue.

There are factors here that concern me a LOT more than a few weeks waiting for a paycheck.
The paychecks have been going out until this last week.
The political histrionics do not impress me.

Very easy to say when you aren’t the one missing a paycheck. They don’t k ow when the next one will come. That is a huge concern for those not getting paid.

LSU.... I would consider that to be an issue with 'Essential Personnel'.
Not a budget disagreement / shutdown.

There should be emergency funds.
That is what should be corrected.
It seems that 'shutdowns' are becoming more the norm over the last few years.

Are you referring to her comment about those at the borders not getting paid? It’s because the border patrol, along with the coast guard is part of Homeland Security which does not have a budget because of this mess. So yes it is a issue if the shut down.

I think that's a little harsh. No one congressperson can end this alone, so making their children suffer isn't a fair solution either. - "Sorry, princess, I have to miss your 5th birthday party that we've been planning for 6 months because I can't single-handedly force all my coworkers to get along."
My DH was told that if he took planned vacation, he risked never getting paid for those days. So he had to say no to extra time with his elderly parents and grandmother over Christmas so he could work. He did not take time Thanksgiving or New Year so he could have that week, and then he didn't get it off.

Security at DIA took about ten minutes. No signs of TSA issues and they were all very friendly and efficient. I really appreciate their hard work!

Our public transportation (bus) in our metro announced that they will, starting today, allow furloughed federal workers free rides.

There's a few other things like giving away free or discounted beer from a local brewery, free burgers from a restaurant, etc in the area too. I appreciate hearing stories from communities out there that are coming together to help each other during this time.

Has anyone taken the step to express their opinion on the shutdown to your legislators? I have begun to contact mine to let them know my thoughts, my concerns and my expectations for them to get the ball rolling. I'm wondering if I get any response, if I just get the canned response, or if I'll actually get contacted back for more in depth information?

I have, but my representative is all over social media supporting the shutdown and calling for a wall at any price, so I doubt I'll hear back at all. I've got one of those reps who hasn't held a single public event in the district since being elected and acts as a rubber stamp for a certain set of policies regardless of how they impact the people he represents, so I really wasn't expecting anything different.

Has anyone seen the letter that is circulating that supposedly comes from a senior administration official that basically describes the shutdown as a permanent means of shrinking the government, rather than a temporary standoff over border funding? It was published on a partisan site that I'm not going to link to, but the gist of it was that there is no interest in resuming/preserving most of the functions that are currently shut down, so it doesn't matter if it goes on forever because, from this perspective, the government is working better now than when it is fully operational.

I'm not saying it isn't absurd but it is a sentiment I'm seeing in some places. It is along the lines of "if you work for a dysfunctional organization don't be surprised when you encounter dysfunction". The overall notion of not being surprised when your dysfunctional employer is dysfunctional I get but that doesn't mean it is their fault.

I turned down a Federal job right out of college because I had no desire to work for that mess of an employer.

But objectively speaking, this level of dysfunction is rare. It isn't like teachers worrying about summers without pay, or construction workers coping with weather-related shutdowns, or even autoworkers dealing with every-few-years layoffs based on economic ups and downs. This has now happened twice (shutdowns long enough to impact pay). Twice. In the 60+ year history of the federal government as we understand it today.

I have, but my representative is all over social media supporting the shutdown and calling for a wall at any price, so I doubt I'll hear back at all. I've got one of those reps who hasn't held a single public event in the district since being elected and acts as a rubber stamp for a certain set of policies regardless of how they impact the people he represents, so I really wasn't expecting anything different.

GOOD FOR YOUR REP!

Has anyone seen the letter that is circulating that supposedly comes from a senior administration official that basically describes the shutdown as a permanent means of shrinking the government, rather than a temporary standoff over border funding? It was published on a partisan site that I'm not going to link to, but the gist of it was that there is no interest in resuming/preserving most of the functions that are currently shut down, so it doesn't matter if it goes on forever because, from this perspective, the government is working better now than when it is fully operational.

But objectively speaking, this level of dysfunction is rare. It isn't like teachers worrying about summers without pay, or construction workers coping with weather-related shutdowns, or even autoworkers dealing with every-few-years layoffs based on economic ups and downs. This has now happened twice (shutdowns long enough to impact pay). Twice. In the 60+ year history of the federal government as we understand it today.

I did see that, and frankly it doesn't surprise me, but it does sadden and infuriate me.

The problem is that this shutdown isn't an "honest" shutdown. They keep calling back more and more employees so that most people don't feel the actual effects of what a non-functioning government looks like. But you can't keep expecting people to work without pay forever (pretty sure there's a constitutional amendment in there somewhere about that...)
I mean, I'm sure the government is working better when the things that effect people are still being done, only now they're being done for free.

As for people expecting dysfunction: No. Nope. Noppity nope nope nope. The United States government is one of the largest and most powerful institutions in the history of humanity. It is not unreasonable to expect it to perform its basic day to day functions consistently. And one of those most basic of functions includes collecting, budgeting, and spending the taxpayers money.
if this crappola were going on in almost any other country in the world we'd be appalled and consider the country non-functioning. And we'd be right.

ETA: Colleen, I know you aren't arguing that we should expect dysfunction. I just used your post as the jumping off point for my thoughts.

I am glad to see the outpouring of support from creditors, business, restaurants, etc to those affected by the shutdown. Jose Andres is once again stepping up to the plate again. Anytime I am near a restaurant of his I will definitely be a patron.

Jose Andres is indeed doing awesome and compassionate things. But it's absolutely ridiculous to expect private business to bail out the freaking United States government.

On Delta's earnings call this morning they said they'd lost 25 million in revenue from the shutdown. Nice, huh? I wonder how long before corporations start demanding an end to this nonsense. Combine that with the hideous lines at places like Atlanta (a major Delta hub), and I'm pretty sure they can't be happy with this stuff.

It is also interesting to note what's NOT happening right now includes stuff that people want to have happen if it's THEM affected by it....litigation is one example. With the shutdown, lots of civil matters have ground to a halt. If it was YOUR case, you'd care. The point is that it is always someone's case. And, these people do not deserve this.

I did see that, and frankly it doesn't surprise me, but it does sadden and infuriate me.

The problem is that this shutdown isn't an "honest" shutdown. They keep calling back more and more employees so that most people don't feel the actual effects of what a non-functioning government looks like. But you can't keep expecting people to work without pay forever (pretty sure there's a constitutional amendment in there somewhere about that...)
I mean, I'm sure the government is working better when the things that effect people are still being done, only now they're being done for free.

As for people expecting dysfunction: No. Nope. Noppity nope nope nope. The United States government is one of the largest and most powerful institutions in the history of humanity. It is not unreasonable to expect it to perform its basic day to day functions consistently. And one of those most basic of functions includes collecting, budgeting, and spending the taxpayers money.
if this crappola were going on in almost any other country in the world we'd be appalled and consider the country non-functioning. And we'd be right.

ETA: Colleen, I know you aren't arguing that we should expect dysfunction. I just used your post as the jumping off point for my thoughts.

I was going to say it isn't an honest shutdown. My DH's job, for instance, is a federal law enforcement job with an agency that has been around since the 1700s. His job is essential-it is not a "bloated" part of government. Right now, it seems fine because he is going to work. Even if he could go without a paycheck...how long can he go without vacation or sick leave or contributions to his retirement or medical coverage (the current term for that it will continue for 12 months)? What would happen if we wanted to buy another house or car?
Then there are things like equipment, vehicles, travel, etc. Sure these things can be put off for a few weeks, but not indefinitely.

I don't think anyone supports or encourages keeping the govt shutdown going. That's like saying one group wants dirty air, undrinkable water, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter