• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How's the sushi (or Tonga Toast) at the Kona Cafe?

lorenae

I'm going to Disney World!
I'll be staying at Shades of Green, and looking at the menu at the Kona. I've never been there, and wondered if the sushi was decent?

I have heard people rave about Tonga Toast for breakfast, but it sounds terribly sweet to me. Is it something to try?

The Tonga Toast is very tasty, thick french toast dusted in cinnamon sugar and stuffed with banana slices. Sweet, but not as sweet as like a cinnamon roll with icing, IMO. It comes with a strawberry or raspberry sauce but you could skip that.

We ate there in January. I had the pot stickers and small Kona sampler and really enjoyed it! It was nice and fresh and tasted good. (sorry for the pic. blur, it was arrival day and I was tired :))

Attachments

• sushi.jpg
    sushi.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
We’re also staying at SoG and planning on having lunch at Kona while we wait for our room on arrival day.

I had the spicy tuna roll and thought it was rather good.

The tonga toast is good but it’s very heavy. I want to take a nap after eating it!

I'm sensitive to sweet stuff but love bananas and I tried the tonga toast and literally couldn't eat it, it was so sweet.

Tonga Toast is my favorite breakfast item by far. Not just at Disney, everywhere. If you like sweat items and French toast, you’ll love it.

At Kona it comes with a strawberry compote. If you get it at Captain Cook’s, it only comes with syrup. Considering it’s covered in sugar, adding syrup can put you in a sugar coma.

Having been served a piece of Tonga Toast at Captain Cook's that had spent too long under the heat lamp, I can't imagine ever eating a fresh one at any location. If it turned into a cold, greasy, soggy, tough crusted, mushy-inside pile of mess after 2 hours, it must have started as a grease bomb to begin with. It was so unbelievably bad it's one of my favorite memories as a laugh-out-loud awful meal. Made worse by the side of burnt bacon and the "don't bother coming back up here to complain" attitude of the cashiers. Truly the exception in a week of Disney magic.

I am not a fan of Tonga Toast, as I found it to lacking flavor and dry. Too fried tasting. Now I did love the macadamia nut pancakes and have planned to return just for those. :) They did not skimp on the nuts, which surprised me.

I am not a fan of Tonga Toast, as I found it to lacking flavor and dry. Too fried tasting. Now I did love the macadamia nut pancakes and have planned to return just for those. :) They did not skimp on the nuts, which surprised me.

I've only had the Capn' Cooks version of Tonga Toast, but I was very disappointed after reading so much about it. It was soooooo dry. I kept putting more and more syrup on it, but that made it so sweet.

My DH got the Tonga Toast when we were there in June.
I did not think it was like French Toast at all. It was more like cinnamon toast. His was not dipped in a batter and then cooked. It was a very thick bread with cinnamon sugar over the outside and bananas stuffed inside. It didn’t even have that crispy cooked sugar texture that I like my cinnamon toast to have. We would not order it again.

But I agree that the macadamia nut pancakes were worth returning for.

Kona isn't our favorite place on property. The food is usually pretty good but it comes at the expensive of pretty abysmal diner-like service. Staying at Shades (we've stayed there too) I would recommend monorailing over to Grand Floridian Cafe or The wave instead. Their breakfasts (and service) are superior for us.

If you do want to try the tonga toast you can get it at the quick service in the Poly (Captain Cooks). For sushi we like Tokyo Dining or California Grill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter