How's the Wait at Quick Service in the Evening?

soniam

Wooden leg named Smith...
I know the waits have been bad for quick service at lunch in the parks. I was wondering if the waits are better in the evening or even late afternoon. Snack places too. Thanks

I spent a 4 days in the parks and got back Friday night. In my experience, evenings weren’t any better for QS or food in general. Lots of places were closed, some were running out of food that was advertised. Food lines were really long. We ate a lot of snacks we brought and back at the resort.

Lots of places were closed, some were running out of food that was advertise

Starting to think that Universal is part of this problem. We have heard for months now to be patient; they are bringing workers back. It is not getting any better. Increasing capacity lines their pockets, but puts stress on staffing. While Universal seemed to come out on top for how they handle the pandemic, now it looks like they are having the worst of it in staffing and food services compared to other parks. Its like they are trying to walk a fine line on keeping costs to as low as they can while increasing prices to the max. This stresses the staff and visitors even more. Universal benefited from the positive word of mouth at first, but they are quickly losing ground.

Watching this carefully as we try and figure out how many Universal days we are going to do as well as how much off site food we are going to do. Del Taco may be my best friend.

I spent a 4 days in the parks and got back Friday night. In my experience, evenings weren’t any better for QS or food in general. Lots of places were closed, some were running out of food that was advertised. Food lines were really long. We ate a lot of snacks we brought and back at the resort.
Which resort? Was the service better there?

Which resort? Was the service better there?
Cabana Bay. We’ve always found the food there to be good, and large portions. To be clear, the service has been GREAT everywhere! They are working so hard. The bartender at the Hideaway pool bar went above and beyond in addition to remembering us 2 days in a row. Universal just isn’t staffing properly.

Quick service lines in the parks are crazy long. Freestyle machines we’re walkups today except the occasional person who couldn’t understand what “I’m sorry you’re out of refills” meant. Plemty of ice and selections. Except in the Jurassic discovery center. That location was busy.

Yes, still long lines at dinner time, and part of the problem is that anywhere you think is less popular and will have a shorter line was closed for dinner. Reservations in city walk or eating at the resorts are options, but budget a long time if you plan to take the boats because they aren't running many boats either. They were training more boat captains.

To add today's dinner experience: At about 6 p.m., later than planned because Hagrid's was too tempting, we waited in line at Thunder Falls Terrace (one register open) only to be warned as we approached the register that they were out of rotisserie chicken and wings (leaving turkey legs as the only non-vegetarian entree). Knowing the line was long at Three Broomsticks, we headed the other way. Comic Strip Cafe and Captain America Diner were closed. The park was still packed and we weren't the only ones looking for food. Cafe4 was open, but most of my group was not thrilled with the food there two nights earlier, when we tried it because the Lost Continent Kebab House was closed. So, we ended up in City Walk. Bread Box was not too crowded, but other counter service options were very long, slow lines.

There this week. Agree with this. If we got in a place half was closed and menu reduced. Eating was a challenge all week and snack lines disaster. Both son and I complained and they “took info”. Some places were forcing mobile order but app nor their WiFi were functioning. So frustrating since we can’t bring in lunch.

Had the most frustrating meal experience yesterday. We were waiting in the shade for the Turkey leg and hotdog CS stand across from the simpsons ride and some employee moved the whole line into the blazing sun for no good reason. So after we all cooked for 20 mins the guy in front of me didn’t have ID but wanted 2 beers. Then wouldn’t accept it when they said no so they had to call the manager. Then wanted 2 Turkey legs when the answer was still no. Then his credit card didn’t work. The line behind me was legit pissed. Took me about an hour in line and was almost too hot and exhausted to eat. Only one employee running a large stand with 2 registers. We were also sad to note many places closed early at 5-6 and there were lots of hungry people just looking for any food. Universal has to be losing a boat load not staffing these. How many lost opportunities to sell overpriced food? How many would it take to pay another hourly employee? Someone who is making these decisions isn’t good at math. I heard lots of complaining and people talking about leaving early to get fast food.

How many would it take to pay another hourly employee? Someone who is making these decisions isn’t good at math. I heard lots of complaining and people talking about leaving early to get fast food.

It has been like this for months and despite hearing, " be patient, UO is hiring more employees", the lines seem to have gotten worse not better. Now it is crazy busy, but this was not expected and at the very least, UO has been slow to rectify it. While other theme parks are having the same problem, from reports it is not to the same degree. We have a short trip planned in September and a longer one in November and we do not expect it to be different. Our dining plans now include a multitude of off site restaurants and grocery items. Thanks to all you trip reporters who have given us reviews off Orlando eateries.

All of our table service experiences were better. But some of the quality is really down. Our fave go-to The Cowfish is no longer a fave after 2 meals of wrong food, missing items (no beef on a Doug’s fusion roll) and an upset stomach. Mythos was one of the only ones that made the grade. We also liked Confisco Grill quite a bit. Will probably do those 2 on spring break and then some late night fast food runs.

We're staying there in 4 weeks for 3 nights, prior to Disney, and for the first time, I made 2 dinner reservations (Jakes and Margaritaville). I never made dinner reservations before, but I'm hearing about these long lines! Lunch will just try to do early, hopefully avoiding some of the lines.

We were there for a week of July 4th. We had sit down dining reservations for lunch and dinner and just cancelled what we didn't use - we were a party of 8 and I thought having reservations would definitely help our party which included two ecvs. We did not use the food carts for anything other than popcorn due to the lines. We did encounter staff being trained during our meals so help is definitely on the way. You can also bring a small soft sided cooler in with snacks and water if that helps.

When the park eateries are slow to take your order or have a a long we wait in line, go to the onsite hotels to eat lunch or dinner
They are more manageable and you are not waiting an hour in line for your food

hotel restaurants are close by and better staffed presently

anyone can eat at the hotels

This is not just a Universal problem. Look at the news. Places all across the country are suffering from a shortage of workers (for a variety of reasons). Universal can't make employees appear out of thin air. If you chose to go at a busy time, you know what you're getting into.

This is not just a Universal problem. Look at the news. Places all across the country are suffering from a shortage of workers (for a variety of reasons). Universal can't make employees appear out of thin air. If you chose to go at a busy time, you know what you're getting into.

Very true, but Universal should plan accordingly. All of the restaurants around me are short staffed, so they got rid of some tables and allow fewer people in. If Universal is understaffed, then the attendance should be capped at the number that can reasonably be served.

This is true to an extent, but my family took a non theme park vacation last month and did not experience anything like what folks have described here. We actually had our best family trip ever despite having to take covid precautions, etc.

So I am not personally willing to accept the idea that Universal's current staffing situation was inevitable. They chose to lay off employees and then move to full capacity before rehiring everyone. It is on them to fix the issue or risk losing repeat business. (Don't worry. I intend to be patient with team members because I understand that they are doing their best).

This is true to an extent, but my family took a non theme park vacation last month and did not experience anything like what folks have described here. We actually had our best family trip ever despite having to take covid precautions, etc.

So I am not personally willing to accept the idea that Universal's current staffing situation was inevitable. They chose to lay off employees and then move to full capacity before rehiring everyone. It is on them to fix the issue or risk losing repeat business. (Don't worry. I intend to be patient with team members because I understand that they are doing their best).

We can agree to disagree, but I'm glad that you are going to be patient. I see sooo many people around here fussing at workers over long waits when they're doing their best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter