HRH or PBH for 2 family with 7 and 5 year olds?

magickingdomprincess

DIS Veteran
So initially I told myself I'd book the least expensive hotel for our 2 nights, and with the APH discount that's PBH. But, looking at the hotel locations, it seems further than HRH. Which hotel would be better with a 7 and 5 year old? Is one pool area better than the others? Do they both have slides? Can you hop between hotel pool? The price difference is $20/night. Just not sure if It's worth it. Thoughts please! TIA!

First, yes, if you are staying at PBR you can hop over and use the pools at the other onsite hotels.

Second, both have slides (though PBR has more than one pool, I do believe only the largest, main pool as a slide.)

Third, as for which is better, that depends on personal tastes. There is definitely a "theme" difference between the two. Personally, I've always considered PBR to be more "romantic" than the other on-site hotels, but its main pool is very family friendly. And yes, if you were to walk from PBR to the parks, you would first walk right by the HRH. So yes, HRH is closer, but if you use the water taxis the distance isn't enough to be much of a difference.

With kids your age, I'm not sure the theme difference between the two parks will really make much of a difference. Personally, I'd probably do as you were thinking and go with the cheapest of the hotels. My only caveat to that might be if you are looking at Club rooms. I much prefer the club lounge at PBR over the HRH. Also, PBR is a bit more spread-out as well given it was made to look like a Mediterranean village.

First, yes, if you are staying at PBR you can hop over and use the pools at the other onsite hotels.

Second, both have slides (though PBR has more than one pool, I do believe only the largest, main pool as a slide.)

Third, as for which is better, that depends on personal tastes. There is definitely a "theme" difference between the two. Personally, I've always considered PBR to be more "romantic" than the other on-site hotels, but its main pool is very family friendly. And yes, if you were to walk from PBR to the parks, you would first walk right by the HRH. So yes, HRH is closer, but if you use the water taxis the distance isn't enough to be much of a difference.

With kids your age, I'm not sure the theme difference between the two parks will really make much of a difference. Personally, I'd probably do as you were thinking and go with the cheapest of the hotels. My only caveat to that might be if you are looking at Club rooms. I much prefer the club lounge at PBR over the HRH. Also, PBR is a bit more spread-out as well given it was made to look like a Mediterranean village.

Thanks for the reply! I really can't decide! In general I like the PBR theme better, but HRH seems like more "fun." Probably for the money we'll just keep our existing ressie, or I'll keep trying to decide till the HRH option isn't available any more!

We stayed at PBH recently and loved it. That Beach Pool area at PBH is wonderful and would be great for younger kids (well and kids of all ages, my 12 year old loved it, but know if he was younger he would have loved the sandy zero entry side and the little kids area. We didn't find the walk to the park any problem, but my son may have when he was younger - took us about 12 minutes at a moderate pace. The water taxi's runs super regularly and was such a lovely boat ride. I don't think we waited more than 5 minutes any of the times we wanted to take the boat. I would suggest requesting the West Wing if you can get it - was super location for us - close to the Beach Pool and the boat dock.

PBH has an awesome Gelato/ice store.

Lemon is oooohhhh sooooo good... with scoop of Raspberry.

My kids love it. Also, Sal's Market helps for a quick unplanned meal or two. Pizza and sandwiches.

But HRH looks like it could be fun too. Probably can't go wrong.

It's a shame Cabana Bay didn't have Express Passes because I think that's the best for kids. Lazy River.. 2 pools (and awesome poolside drinks for the adults...), Bowling Alley...

PBH is farther from the parks but for kids 5 and 7 the boat ride from PBH to the parks might be a big attraction itself. We have never stayed at HRH but have at PBH with similar ages and they definitely loved the pool.

We stayed at PBH recently and loved it. That Beach Pool area at PBH is wonderful and would be great for younger kids (well and kids of all ages, my 12 year old loved it, but know if he was younger he would have loved the sandy zero entry side and the little kids area. We didn't find the walk to the park any problem, but my son may have when he was younger - took us about 12 minutes at a moderate pace. The water taxi's runs super regularly and was such a lovely boat ride. I don't think we waited more than 5 minutes any of the times we wanted to take the boat. I would suggest requesting the West Wing if you can get it - was super location for us - close to the Beach Pool and the boat dock.

Thanks so much, this makes me feel much better about staying at PBH! I just looked up the beach pool and it does look fun for the kids. And thank you for the west wing suggestion! It sounds like the perfect location! Maybe we'll get lucky and get it! Is the best way to make a room request to call?

PBH has an awesome Gelato/ice store.

Lemon is oooohhhh sooooo good... with scoop of Raspberry.

My kids love it. Also, Sal's Market helps for a quick unplanned meal or two. Pizza and sandwiches.

But HRH looks like it could be fun too. Probably can't go wrong.

It's a shame Cabana Bay didn't have Express Passes because I think that's the best for kids. Lazy River.. 2 pools (and awesome poolside drinks for the adults...), Bowling Alley...

Yeah, Cabana Bay does sound like fun, but we're definitely in it for the EP! Thanks for the tips on the Gelato store and Sal's Market. The lemon/raspberry sounds delicious! I've been meaning to check if the hotel has counter service/fast food options.

PBH is farther from the parks but for kids 5 and 7 the boat ride from PBH to the parks might be a big attraction itself. We have never stayed at HRH but have at PBH with similar ages and they definitely loved the pool.

I think the boat ride will probably be the way to go, especially if it runs as often as it sounds like it does. This will be the first time going to UO/WDW without a stroller for DS7 (still 6 now and will just be 7 when we go) so probably any time we have a chance to ride instead of walk will be good for him.

Thanks so much, this makes me feel much better about staying at PBH! I just looked up the beach pool and it does look fun for the kids. And thank you for the west wing suggestion! It sounds like the perfect location! Maybe we'll get lucky and get it! Is the best way to make a room request to call?

Yeah, Cabana Bay does sound like fun, but we're definitely in it for the EP! Thanks for the tips on the Gelato store and Sal's Market. The lemon/raspberry sounds delicious! I've been meaning to check if the hotel has counter service/fast food options.

I think the boat ride will probably be the way to go, especially if it runs as often as it sounds like it does. This will be the first time going to UO/WDW without a stroller for DS7 (still 6 now and will just be 7 when we go) so probably any time we have a chance to ride instead of walk will be good for him.

I would call for a particular request and it will be added to your reservation.......:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter