• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HS Band Parents- how much does it cost you?

Wow! Things have gotten way more complicated since I was in the marching band. We were a very competitive and well-respected band (our school's first homecoming king was captain of the drum line) in an extremely competitive region but we didn't go away to band camp or hire lighting designers, etc.

Wow! The only thing we pay for is band camp before school starts, around $200. We also paid for the instrument and the reeds.

On my 7th year of being a band parent (out of 12 consecutive years if all last kid does band too like his older sisters).
~$500 + shoes as needed. Multiple fundraisers held through year to help offset cost if needed. The band boosters also do a good job raising and managing money to help with trip costs/trailer etc.
We have 4 competitions-one local, 2 out of state (day trips) and one overnight to super regional in St Louis. All covered by the fees. It is a competitive band, but the director doesn't do large trips like to Disney in order to keep costs low.
Band is a class. If you are in the class-you are in Marching band, including concert season.
My kids aren't colorguard or percussion though. I think those have lot of extra costs (but our color guard and drumline are often very competitive!)

Our band kids had to buy gloves for their uniforms, and pay travel expenses. DD went to WDW one year, and DLR another. They did a lot of fund raising, and we can also designate up to $200 of our annual state taxes for student expenses. We still do the tax credit thing for other students each year, even tho our kids have long-since graduated.

Our biggest expense was private lessons, and sending our kid to band camp during the summer. She also performed in two national honors bands, one in D.C. and one at Carnegie Hall. Grandma helped with those expenses.

My 13-year-old just made the marching band for this coming season. It cost us $275 for the season, $30 for drum supplies, mallets, $30 for shoes. Our boosters raise the funds to cover other expenses. We are going to Disney World this April, 2020, and that is estimated to cost around $900 for her to go. I have an annual pass for discounts, so my husband, my younger daughter, and I will also be going. Seeing her march down Main Street will definitely make me cry. :)

About 500 a year, not including a big trip every two years that was optional. This doesn’t include instruments, which we bought. We also paid for summer band camp at a fantastic University program which was separate, and private lessons. Expensive but totally worth it. My son now marches in his University band and is leaving on an international trip this coming week. It’s a great experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter