HS Day- Mama Melrose or Il Mulino

starousse

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

Want to keep dinner local because we have Slinky fast passes for the evening. Haven't been to either of these yet. MM looks like it's on par with Olive Garden and IM gets some negative reviews as well. Surprisingly, they're not too far off on price point. Which one would you do?

Thanks!

Probably won't be as helpful as someone who has been to both, but we've done Mama Melrose a few times and like it quite a bit. The menu selection isn't far off from an Olive Garden, but in our experience the quality is far better. My go to is the steak with maybe the best mac and cheese I've ever had. It's heavy though. The Dis podcast did a review on it not too long ago and it was overall positive, to their surprise. You also have the benefit of not having to leave the park, although IM isn't that far either way.

This is east Il Mulino by a country mile. Our June trip to Mama was a disaster that prompted my girls to change our 3 strikes and your banned restaurant list to the never again list. At Mulino I really loved the ribeye and the Cernia.

While I wish that they would update their menu, I'd say Il Mulino (although the menu is quite extensive so maybe it doesn't really need to change). I like their carpaccio appetizer and the fact that you can get a half-order of some entrees. We find that they don't try to hustle you out as quickly as other restaurants because they cater to conference attendees as well as vacationers more than a lot of the Disney restaurants do. Just remember that you can't charge it using an MB because it's not a Disney hotel.

We enjoy eating at Mama Melrose. Never had a bad meal there, but rarely an amazing one. Still probably better than Olive Garden.
If you are not on the DDP, Il Mulino without a doubt. A much better and extensive menu with amazing food. Worth the walk.

I honestly loved Mama Melrose when I visited last month (and no, I do NOT like Olive Garden). I have a soft spot for the Muppet Courtyard and it was nice to visit there and be able to stay in the park for dinner. We got a flatbread and a pork chop entree and it was one of my favorite meals in my years of going to Disney. I really like the vibe and decor inside. It fits with the Hollywood Studios theme, which I love, and it was fun.

I don't need a full-fledged Italian meal before or during running around the parks and going on ToT or Slinky so sharing a few things at MM was great and convenient. Service is not the best, but it's Disney and it's packed so I understand.

Depends on how much you are willing to spend. Il Mulino is about double the price.

I don't see it as being double the price at all. Average entree at both places is around $23-$30. When I say average entree, I'm talking about fried calamari, a bowl of pasta or chicken parm. Not the rack of lamb.

I honestly loved Mama Melrose when I visited last month (and no, I do NOT like Olive Garden). I have a soft spot for the Muppet Courtyard and it was nice to visit there and be able to stay in the park for dinner. We got a flatbread and a pork chop entree and it was one of my favorite meals in my years of going to Disney. I really like the vibe and decor inside. It fits with the Hollywood Studios theme, which I love, and it was fun.

I don't need a full-fledged Italian meal before or during running around the parks and going on ToT or Slinky so sharing a few things at MM was great and convenient. Service is not the best, but it's Disney and it's packed so I understand.

Thanks for the input. I agree with you. As long as it's not horrible, I like the fact that it's right there. I also have a soft spot for the Muppets :)

I prefer Il Mulino every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Mama Melrose is an average experience at best (my opinion) and is like saying my favorite team, the Cleveland Browns are as good as my most despised team, the Pittsburgh Steelers. :rotfl2::goodvibes:laughing:

I like both, however given a choice I would head to Il Mulino in a heartbeat. It is way better than MM in my opinion. With that said, I have never been disappointed with the food at MM, and enjoy the atmosphere. I do not find that Il Mulino has any atmosphere other than quieter. So I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

If it were me, I'd do MM if I'm still going to stay in the park after dinner to do more rides or shows. The boat ride back and forth takes valuable time (or some may look at it as a nice break from the crowds though). If I were going to be done for the night, hands down Il Mulino, to do a leisurely dinner to end the evening.

Disclaimer: I have never eaten at either, but thinking the difference is location, in vs. out of park.

Il Mulino is much better, IMHO, you just need to allow enough time to get there and for the meal as it's definitely a more leisurely-paced meal than MM. MM is fine. Just be prepared for a long wait as they seem to often run late seating people. If food is more important, go to Il Mulino. If time is better spent simply staying in DHS, I would do MM.

In your case I would choose MM. Il Mulino is better food, but the atmosphere is more “date night” than what it seems you are looking for. That doesn’t mean it’s not family friendly- just more of a place that you want to sit and savor- and take your time. In fact when I was down last year with my sister and her 3 little ones- they saw us coming from a mile away and they gave us a quasi-private room in back.

MM gets a bad rap- but as far as theme park sit down standards go- you could do worse (ie Tony’s).

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. We were planning on spending the full day at HS, so I was thinking a break from the park without going to far would be nice. I'm sure the food is better at IM, but we're already doing like 3 signature places this week, so maybe MM will end up being a little more of a casual and cheaper night.

I wondered why I hadn’t heard of Il Mulino when I was deciding where to eat dinner on our HS night, as I thought I knew the HS restaurants, and then saw that it is in the Swan/Dolphin. Now I don’t feel so stupid!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter