HS Marching band Parade Questions

Tracy Savage

<font color=blue>I really don't know about needy,
My sons school is in the MK Main St pre parade. Do they take the same route as the regular afternoon parade? Where is my best photo op place to be?

I'd like to know about the high school marching bands as well....we'll be in the Magic Kingdom on Wednesday watching my son march....am wondering if it is the normal parade route....what's the best place to catch the video? Thanks for any help!

Yes they have to go the same way as the regular parade or they would run into it.

Last time my sons' did it, and I think this is now how they do it all the time, they go front to back.

I stationed myself right at the and of main street in the hub.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmuuILANACQ

4 years before they went back to front and I sat on the second floor of the train station.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA1Y7jimQSc

One warning is that the direction can change because of the weather. If there is bad weather approaching they will run the main parade in the opposite because they can keep the floats under cover longer. So that means your parade will switch also. Since its before the 3:00 pm parade you can double check with the parade setup people on what direction its going to be.

I teach in Alabama, and we did this with our band last April. We were the pre-parade for the Main St Electrical Parade. We started in Town Square and went to Frontierland. We were about 30 minutes before the 9 pm MSEP. We went backstage about 5:00 to change into uniforms and get prepped for parade. It's a very neat experience for the students.

If you have two people with video cameras who know MK well, you can get a continuous video of the entire parade. My dad and a friend's dad ran through the park and stopped at different spots then edited the videos together so that we ended up with the entire parade! It's things like someone staying at the hub where the parade turns while another person runs across the bridge to LV and starts taping there. While they tape, the other person runs through to Frontierland, etc.

We march on 4/20 but don't know what time yet as our band director is keeping it a secret until we have a meeting about the trip on 4/2. Speculation is that a "special announcement" is that we are in the night parade also.

pvtsms2494 please post an update on your experience when you get back and I hope you have an amazing trip! :pixiedust:

We march on 4/20 but don't know what time yet as our band director is keeping it a secret until we have a meeting about the trip on 4/2. Speculation is that a "special announcement" is that we are in the night parade also.

Just so you are not late, the bands perform before the parade.

Also if they did two parades that really wouldn't be very special. You have to gather 2 and half hours before step off, its 15 to 20 minutes for the parade and then packing everything back up.

For my sons', they had to meet up at 12:00 so they were ready to go back stage at 12:30 and they weren't back in the park until 3:30/4:00 so up to 4 hours. I can't imagine losing that much park time for two parades. Also that means the kids miss both parades.

pvtsms2494 please post an update on your experience when you get back and I hope you have an amazing trip! :pixiedust:

My oldest marched before the night parade as well and my middle DD is marching before the night parade on 4/10. It is a great experience!!! The only downside is we had a little bit harder time getting good pictures at night but we did get some.
My oldest marched from Main St. to Frontier Land and they had to meet their group about an hour before their parade time.
Have a great time, it is something you will always remeber!!!

It is official we are in the 8:30 parade just before Spectro. And our band director asked my younger daughter to join them and hold our banner with another sibling. So this will be very special having both my girls in the parade. We were told to have the kids at the gate for 7pm so hopefully we won't be missing too much park time. At least MK is open until midnight. Our tour company is going to be video taping the parade for us so we will have that nice feature to come home to. DH will be behind the scenes with 2DD's because he is part of the pit crew and they have 3 of the guys going to help out with their setup. I will be parking myself on Main St. as close to the bakery as possible to graze while I wait to see them come by. :cool1:
Snack in one hand and box of tissues in the other...

It is official we are in the 8:30 parade just before Spectro. And our band director asked my younger daughter to join them and hold our banner with another sibling. So this will be very special having both my girls in the parade. We were told to have the kids at the gate for 7pm so hopefully we won't be missing too much park time. At least MK is open until midnight. Our tour company is going to be video taping the parade for us so we will have that nice feature to come home to. DH will be behind the scenes with 2DD's because he is part of the pit crew and they have 3 of the guys going to help out with their setup. I will be parking myself on Main St. as close to the bakery as possible to graze while I wait to see them come by. :cool1:
Snack in one hand and box of tissues in the other...

Thats great about your daughter.

Did the director say she had to wear anything special? The reason I ask is that they are very particular about how everyone in the parade dresses and I don't want there to be any surprises.

The last time we did the parade, BTW unless I missed a memo its will not be Spectro but MSEP, our director and asst director marched with the band. Well they get backstage get the band together and first the director realized he grabbed his wife's instead of his red band polo shirt (would never fit) and the CM coordinator didn't like the asst. director's capri pants. So they both wore that day's park t shirt and the asst. director had to wear some pants pulled out of a closet that were 2 sizes too small.

I think I have given out this exact advise before but it would be best if they both wore band uniforms of some sort.

Not all bands start in the front. Both of my kids have marched in different years. They marched on Sunday afternoon before the first parade and they started in Frontierland and marched to the front. I have a great picture of the band with the castle in the background.

My DD's band marched in the afternoon parade in March. We had to meet at the Golden Outpost at 1pm to go backstage. We stepped off around 2:45 just before the 3pm parade. They marched from Main Street to Frontierland. We were back in the parks by 4pm.

The guides suggested we stand first on Main Street towards Crystal Palace and then move to the hub by the bridge to Libertyland. If I had to do it again I would do Main Street and hightail it to Froniterland. Because the parade route was crowded, we had to beg people to let us get front row for pictures and move ASAP after the band marched. The CMs would not allow us to be outside the ropes. We still got good pictures and videos but we almost missed the 2nd go around trying to get to the front. BTW: They have Photopass Photographers who also take pictures.

It was an awesome experience and the CMs that led us were amazing!! Have fun!!!!

I marched in the afternoon parade in 2001 and the pre-Spectro parade in 2003, and both times we took the usual parade route. Then my brother and sister marched in the afternoon parade in 2007 and it was the exact same route that I had taken six years earlier. I'm sure your kid's band director will remind them of this, but watch out for the tracks running down the middle of Main St. Usually they'll try to line up the parade block so they won't be marching on one of the rails, but it's still a good idea to be aware of it. A rolled ankle is no fun!

I hope they have a good time! It's still one of my favorite WDW memories, even though I got yelled at by a CM for walking around backstage without my band shoes on. :rolleyes1

chartle the 2 banner holders will be wearing our park day band shirts and will be in either black yoga pants or black slacks with marching shoes. When we were at practice last night we discussed the outfit with the band director. I watched some you tube videos of the band parades last night and cannot wait for it to be us walking down Main St.

chartle the 2 banner holders will be wearing our park day band shirts and will be in either black yoga pants or black slacks with marching shoes. When we were at practice last night we discussed the outfit with the band director. I watched some you tube videos of the band parades last night and cannot wait for it to be us walking down Main St.

That should be OK just make sure they match and look like they belong with the band. :thumbsup2

Our daughter's band is marching the same night before the Electric Light Parade. We are flying in as a surprise next Thursday. I didn't realize that there would be mutiple bands that night. Can't wait to see her march down our favorite street.

My daughter's band was in the Easter parade 2 years ago. They walked from Main Street around the fron the castle and into Frontierland. We stood in the hub area between the castle & the road to Frontierland.

If you have a photopass (I ordered the CD in advance), there are Disney photographers that take pics of the kids from several different viewpoints. I was able to put them on our photopass card. I took the pics and added borders, years, etc. and then ended up burning each of kids a CD of the photos that were on the CD as well as the pictures that a few of the parents took. The band director displayed them as a slide show and distributed the CD at their spring banquet.

It was awesome seeing your kid be in a Disney parade! You are going to love it and the kids will too!!

Sharon did you just give your Photopass to the photographer after he took the shots or before? We already ordered ours so I don't want to miss on that awesome opportunity.

ohiotodd12 - I was wondering if we were going to be the only band also but you answered my question. :thumbsup2 I will hopefully be able to see to take pictures, fully expecting myself to be a sappy fool! Hope you have a magical time watching DD march down Main St.

How exciting to watch your children in a WDW parade! Did it 4 times! You will be crying your eyes out & they will be complaining about how hot they are! The first 2 parades started in frontierland, but that was many years ago. This route made for more impressive photos. The last 2 parades went from Town Square to frontierland. The first time the band stopped on Main Street & played for about 3 minutes & then moved on. Best places we found for photos were at the hubs at the entrance & in front of the castle and the train station balcony. Must claim your spaces early!

It does take a large chunk of time away from the kids enjoying the park. Please make sure you have plenty of water for them behind the scene where they get prepared! It is not provided. And yes there is a review by Disney for their appearance. Bring extra uniform pieces, shoes, etc. if available.

Have a great time & bring kleenex!:dance3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter