HS Rise of Resistance movíng to standby on September 23!

It's going to be long. Hagrid's at Universal had a ridiculously long standby line.
Haha of course the Hagrid virtual was excellent. Nobody knew where to go (the alternate website they were using for hagrids), we rode it four times a day for four days and had other reservations on hand in case we were in the area at the time. Not that I recommend universal for more than 3 days without a water park day, but it was nice to have a lock on Hagrids at any time.

I'm mad happy that Rise is finally going to have a standby queue, even if its temporary. I could simply use the Magic Kingdom Rope Drop plan. At Rope Drop, while everybody & their mama literally run to Rise like they do for Mine Train, focus on MMRR, SDD, TOT & the other "regular" rides & simply Lightning Lane ROR & be done. And if ROR has low wait times at close to the end of the night, which I doubt but still, I could get into standby & ride it a second time. Rope Drop may not be as effective as it used to be but its still effective in other tiny ways. As far as I'm concerned, as long as Disney keeps standby lines, some of the strategies a lot of people used in the past should still apply albeit in different more subtle ways if you look hard enough.

What im curious about is how they keep a standby line knowing the thing breaks dowm constantly. Are they gonna shut the line at 4pm for a 7pm close? Are they gonna kick everyone out that have been waiting there for 2 hours already?

Likely answers are yes and yes.

I'm mad happy that Rise is finally going to have a standby queue, even if its temporary. I could simply use the Magic Kingdom Rope Drop plan. At Rope Drop, while everybody & their mama literally run to Rise like they do for Mine Train, focus on MMRR, SDD, TOT & the other "regular" rides & simply Lightning Lane ROR & be done. And if ROR has low wait times at close to the end of the night, which I doubt but still, I could get into standby & ride it a second time. Rope Drop may not be as effective as it used to be but its still effective in other tiny ways. As far as I'm concerned, as long as Disney keeps standby lines, some of the strategies a lot of people used in the past should still apply albeit in different more subtle ways if you look hard enough.
I hope this strategy works for you. Since Disney has only called this a pause for VQ, I'm not celebrating just yet. I have a feeling it's only temporary until IT can design a way for both VQ and IA$ to run concurrently.

yeah DCR's got 2 VQ's going simultaneously and it's been pretty solid compared to the usual s***show that is Disney IT. I only didn't like that if you had a reservation to DCA, the VQ would start at MK no matter what for RotR when I was trying to get to the Web Slingers VQ in DCA.

I was against the standby que, but today I woke up early just to make the reservation at 7. I did it as soon as my phone turned 7 but I was too slow. Didn’t get in. Now I will have to try again at 1. I rode it before so it’s not the end of the world. But if I don’t get in a 1 there is nothing I can do. Will be there again later this week that time I can get in if I want. No more reservation. Also I wasn’t planning on staying at Hollywood studios all day today. If I do get in at 1 means I will have to stay at Hollywood studios all day. Plus I can’t do anything when the time is almost 1 I will have to wait and do nothing waiting for the time to hit one.

Last edited:
I was against the standby que, but today I woke up early just to make the reservation at 7. I did it as soon as my phone turned 7 but I was too slow. Didn’t get in. Now I will have to try again at 1. I rode it before so it’s not the end of the world. But if I don’t get in a 1 there is nothing I can do. Will be there again later this week that time I can get in if I want. No more reservation. Also I wasn’t planning on staying at Hollywood studios all day today. If I do get in at 1 means I will have to stay at Hollywood studios all day. Plus I can’t do anything when the time is almost 1 I will have to wait and do nothing waiting for the time to hit one.

You don't have to stay in DHS all day if you get a 1pm queue, you just have to stay within 1 hour of travel time or pay attention to the BGs in the app & plan your trip back accordingly. If you had to be in a standby lane for multiple hours in the afternoon, then you would be at DHS all day.

You don't have to stay in DHS all day if you get a 1pm queue, you just have to stay within 1 hour of travel time or pay attention to the BGs in the app & plan your trip back accordingly. If you had to be in a standby lane for multiple hours in the afternoon, then you would be at DHS all day.

yep I got a 1 pm que but about 6 o’clock Disney cancelled it my boarding group 159 was too late. Think the ride was down at 1. Said 360 minutes approximately but after a hour it still said 360 minutes.

LOL why are people happy about this? You want to spend 5 hours in line?

I'm not convinced the lines will be 5 hours most of the time. The reasonn I disliked the VQ is exemplified by the experience of @dcpluto - they were shut out of the option to ride, plain and simple. They even had a 1 PM boarding group, but it was cancelled. With a standby queue, they would have at least have had the choice to ride.

I'm not convinced the lines will be 5 hours most of the time. The reasonn I disliked the VQ is exemplified by the experience of @dcpluto - they were shut out of the option to ride, plain and simple. They even had a 1 PM boarding group, but it was cancelled. With a standby queue, they would have at least have had the choice to ride.

Not with the ride down. They might've wasted hours in line instead and still not been able to ride.

LOL why are people happy about this? You want to spend 5 hours in line?
Would you spend 5 hours in line if you arrive at least 45 minutes before the park opens and high tale it to the ride when the opens? (say during the last week of January)

I feel like there's a good chance Disney won't let it get that long before they close the SB line to avoid posting 5+hr wait times. Maybe after it hits 120 or 180 mins they will turn people away and tell them to come back later. :confused3
If they leave it to guests to self regulate, it will be a long A** line.

Considering pre-pandemic, FoP had posted wait times as high as 250-300 minutes in some cases even exceeding 300 minutes, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney allowed RoTR's standby queue to get just as long. But if they do start to turn people away at a certain time - wouldn't that be similar to people who couldn't get a virtual boarding pass? Except if you do get in line, it comes with a 4 hour wait...

The number of riders that can ride RoTR per day is still the same (assuming no breakdowns) - so some people will still miss out on riding it. The big difference is going to be - if you get in line when it is really long - you won't be able to do anything else, with the virtual queue at least you had the option of doing other things.

In terms of being "stuck" waiting for your boarding group - I suspect the same will happen with the standby queue, the difference is instead of being stuck in Hollywood Studios, you'll be stuck in line.

I really don't see how this adds flexibility as Disney is stating. The only flexibility is - you can choose to wait a really long time, or choose not to. With the previous system, you also had the same choice - but because your wait time was usually much shorter - everyone wanted to try to ride it.

I don't necessarily see rope dropping being any better either, if you're lucky and get there early enough - I suppose you can ride with a short wait, but for the majority of people - even if you rope drop, you still may end up in a 2-hour or longer queue.

Now if you want to rope drop and ride something other than RoTR, I can see that being a big advantage now, since most everyone will run to RoTR and you can probably hope on the other rides with little to no wait.

It will also make the rest of the park less crowded since RoTR will suck up tons of people - so if you're not planning to ride RoTR, it is mostly upside for you.

Once Genie and IA$ launch, it will probably be an even longer wait since the standby people will have to wait to allow the paying customers to ride first.

I hope the "pause" on the virtual queue is short lived imho.

Yea I always thought they should do that as well, it’s more fair.
I would definitely not want this. It would be like giving everyone that shows up at rope drop a random time to return to make it fair. Some people have the ability to be at rope drop. Some people are good with electronics. Making it a true lottery system would piss off a whole lot of people. Also people would just keep switching their park to HS every morning until they got selected and won the lottery. The line vs paying extra actually makes a lot of sense. You are either giving up time you could enjoy other attractions in the park or you are paying for more time to enjoy during your park visit.
It will reduce crowds at other attractions. The other "planning to get ahead" option is to show up at rope drop. Save money, have more time for other attractions but be forced to be at the park at Disney's recommended time.

Well, they seem intent to "test" the stand by queue, as they're also offering APs a bonus reservation at Hollywood this Friday. I'm going to grab the popcorn and watch things unfold this weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter