• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hulk, RRR, and Dragon Challenge for Coaster Wimps?

Claire82013

Earning My Ears
I'm going to be at Universal Studios for (essentially) the first time this summer. I've been there for a day before, but the only coaster I went on was the Mummy. I'm unsure about riding the Hulk, RRR, and Dragon Challenge as I've never been on roller coasters that involve inversions before. I have been on Expedition Everest, Tower of Terror, and Mission Space (Orange) in Disney World and really enjoyed them. Any advice/insight about riding these for the first time? Is the G-force on Mission Space comparable to the G-force on Hulk, RRR, and Dragon Challenge? I'm fine with heights and dropping, but I'm somewhat worried about the sensation of G-force involved with inversions.

DH won't do Hulk or RRR, but he's done Dragon Challenge, Everest, TOT, MS Orange, and Rock n Roller Coaster. I have done EE, MS Orange, and Rock n Roller Coaster. MS Orange doesn't compare to a coaster. It's one of those things that either you don't realize that you are spinning furiously and you just feel like you are being pushed, or you feel the spinning think you are about to pop. I love EE and MS Orange. Not so much Rock n Roller Coaster, because my glasses keep trying to fall off and I am always afraid that my stuff is going to fall out. The inversions on Rock n Roller Coaster don't feel anything like MS Orange. It's not really much of a g force sensation. DH says that Dragon Challenge is more intense than anything you have listed as riding and more than Rock n Roller Coaster. He likes it but barely. A co-worker who is a huge coaster fan said that he was regretting RRR on the way up. He said he would do it again but probably only once per trip.

I don't thim the coaster part of rrr would get me,but the vertical climb would! Didn't do it or hulk on my first trip but loved dragon challenge I did find one more loopy than the other and that one was a bit tougher for me. I do plan on doing hulk this fall. But seriously don't think rrr will ever be on my to do list because of that incline!!

I'm unsure about riding the Hulk, RRR, and Dragon Challenge as I've never been on roller coasters that involve inversions before.

RRR isn't an inverting coaster. :)

From wiki...

When the train reaches the top of the lift, it drops back to the ground reaching a maximum speed of 65 miles per hour (105 km/h). Following the drop, the train goes through a non-inverting loop (meaning that the train doesn't go through an inversion), which is nicknamed "The Double Take". Then the train makes an upward right turn into one of the several mid-course brakes. It then drops back down going through a hole in a wall before entering a left upward helix. This section of the coaster is nicknamed "The Treble Clef". Next the train enters a quick element nicknamed, "The Jump Cut" which is similar to a non-inverting corkscrew. The train then drops back down before climbing back up into the second mid-course brakes. Following a small drop to the left, it travels straight before making a right turn, followed by a left, and then another right leading into the third set of mid-course brakes. Another drop is followed by the brakes leading into an s-bend/turn. The train then travels into an inclined loop, then the train enters the fourth set of brakes after going back up. Finally, the train drops back down, and goes over a small hill before entering the final brake run where the train enters the station and the riders song ends

I despise the start where you're flat on your back and being raised up. But the rest of the ride is actually REALLY good, and you don't invert.

Hulk is terrifying and Dragon Challenge is worse. :) (but I'll take either of them, once in a day, over Dr Doom or Pteranodon Flyers)

Yep, hate the hill climb for RRR, but the rest of the ride is AMAZING (if you don't get beaten too badly...try for a row as close to the front as possible.) I've counted it out, it takes 12 seconds to get to the top. I chat with my kiddo and look at the clouds (it's a long 12 seconds, but totally worth it IMO, BUT I am a coaster junkie, with the exception of tower drop rides.)

As I get older, I'm really only good with the smoothest of inverting coasters. The ones that rattle you around too much bother my neck and my equilibrium too much. That said, Hulk used to be one I loved, but now not so much. But RRR is fine by me for whatever reason. The two Dragon Challenge coasters are right on my edge. I'll do them, but there's always a risk of adverse outcome. As much as I enjoy coasters, it's just not worth it to ride one, have it go badly and then be stuck sitting very still with an ice pack on my head for a half an hour.

BTW ... aging sucks.

As I get older, I'm really only good with the smoothest of inverting coasters. The ones that rattle you around too much bother my neck and my equilibrium too much. That said, Hulk used to be one I loved, but now not so much. But RRR is fine by me for whatever reason. The two Dragon Challenge coasters are right on my edge. I'll do them, but there's always a risk of adverse outcome. As much as I enjoy coasters, it's just not worth it to ride one, have it go badly and then be stuck sitting very still with an ice pack on my head for a half an hour.

BTW ... aging sucks.

Hulk is so much better since it's revamp last year. Not sure when you last went, but we noticed a big difference last September from previous years.

RRR, I only ride the front row. Will happily wait for it and TM got to know me as we asked so often last few years. I can't cope with that brain rattling anymore........nor that dizzy feeling that leaves you with.

Went on the cars near the back the year after it opened.......never again. Had to go back to the RP for a couple of hours........front row all the way.

Funnily enough I find Duelling Dragons the smoothest of them all.........we all feel things differently I suppose......but yeah the older I get the less my brain likes being rattled around.

Yeah ... I retired Hulk from my rotation prior to the refurb. I thought about giving it another whirl a few weeks ago, but decided not to risk it. Getting old isn't for cowards, but it is inevitable.

I rode hulk for the first time this year, and as long as it isn't the front seat, I actually think rockin roller coaster over at Disney is scarier. It was just a smooth, fun ride I didn't have time to get scared of.

BM inverted coasters such as Dragons Challenge are intense in the sense that they will keep you constantly looping, rolling, and twisting, so you might feel a bit dizzy at the end. The drops are not very steep or fast. The red side gives you some air time. Hulk is smoother and less intense because you are not spun around so much. Even the launch will not seem as fast as it looks from the ground (it's slower than rock n rollercoaster). RRR is bumpy, but it's the least intense. I felt much more ill on mission space than any of the coasters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter