Hurricane Damage

PinMan

Mouseketeer
is some of the ports damaged to the point of they're not available to stop at , what are they ?

Most of the ports closed were closed due to a combination of damage. In some cases the port facilities were damaged, some the island itself was damaged, some both. The islands are very quickly coming back online. San Juan is opening this week I think, St Maarten is close to opening if not already, St Thomas shouldn't be far behind. Those are the ones I know of off the top of my head. Key West is open again.

It's amazing (appalling) that San Juan is going to open for cruises when a significant portion of the PR population still doesn't have potable water or electricity, etc. I'm all for supporting the tourist economy, but whatever resources have been putting the tourism industry back together I would rather have seen rebuilding infrastructure for actual residents.

It's amazing (appalling) that San Juan is going to open for cruises when a significant portion of the PR population still doesn't have potable water or electricity, etc. I'm all for supporting the tourist economy, but whatever resources have been putting the tourism industry back together I would rather have seen rebuilding infrastructure for actual residents.

Yeah but that turns into a political debate, and nobody likes those. I do my best to give back through humanitarian channels but also know that by spending money down there on a crise helps the whole economy.

I received this email from Royal regarding the damaged ports today:

Last week, we were pleased to share an update after our encouraging meetings with officials from San Juan and St. Thomas, and in anticipation of a St. Maarten visit that took place earlier this week. Today, Royal Caribbean® is excited to announce that these beloved ports are nearly ready to welcome us home.

On November 10, 2017, Adventure of the Seas®will set sail for St. Thomas for the first time since September, when the islands were first impacted by hurricanes. We're also committing to return to both San Juan, Puerto Rico and Philipsburg, St. Maarten by the end of November.

The progress on these islands has been truly inspiring, and in partnership with the U.S. Virgin Islands government, Royal Caribbean has committed to completely restore one of St. Thomas' most popular tourist attractions — Magens Bay — in time for the Adventure of the Seas sailing.

With power and water fully restored to St. Thomas, and most downtown shops, restaurants, bars and operations fully functional, guests will be able to experience the diverse and extensive array of dining, shopping and activities they've always enjoyed on the island. Including boat and catamaran excursions, and some of the Caribbean's best beaches, like Secret Sands Beach, Secret Harbor Beach Club, Lindquist Beach, Abi Beach and Honeymoon Beach on Water Island.

By December 1, 2017, Royal Caribbean plans to resume calling at all three ports with all of our Caribbean ships, including Oasis of the Seas®, Allure of the Seas® and Harmony of the Seas® — and we can't wait to take you there.

Helping San Juan doesn't take away from the rest of the island. They are separate from each other. And helping SJ brings in money which helps the island more than just leaving it alone.

Worth noting is that even if St. Thomas is open as a port, there may be limitations on shore excursions. St. John is still entirely without electric power.

State of the restaurants of St. John, with pictures: http://newsofstjohn.com/2017/10/17/an-update-on-the-restaurants/

Sounds like they are emphasizing boat/catamaran excursions as well as beach excursions. We usually like the catamaran/snorkel type excursions anyways. Though we do like that skyride up St Thomas.

Does anyone know how Tortola is doing? Do they have an estimated re-opening date yet?

Tortola do not have an estimated date. A lot of the infrastructure at JVD and Virgin Gorda was destroyed, but may not be too difficult to get running. A lot of the pleasure boat fleets are a mess.

Tortola do not have an estimated date. A lot of the infrastructure at JVD and Virgin Gorda was destroyed, but may not be too difficult to get running. A lot of the pleasure boat fleets are a mess.
I wish Disney would see if they could change ports for our Dec 1 cruise that is supposed to have a day at Tortolla. I would like to support the island of course, but on a five night cruise we only had two ports anyways (besides CC). Disney has said they will just make it a sea day. So disappointing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter