Hurricane Dorian and Irma

If it makes you feel any better... I was there before, during, and after Irma and it wasn’t horrible. We got stuck in WDW when flights were canceled in advance of the storm and couldn’t get out until a day or two after Irma passed. All that week before the storm, crowds were going down, down, down. The lines were so minimal that the day before the parks closed, we rode some rides a few times in a row without having to get off, because there was no one else waiting in line. I remember watching one couple posing near the Peter Pan wait time sign, because it said 5 mins. All the restaurants had open ADRs. Anastasia and Drizella in MK had no one waiting to meet them so they went for a ride on the carousel and were goofing off during the ride, catcalling a little girl dressed as Cinderella. Honestly, it was awesome except that we were worried about the impending storm. But we got through the storm just fine and in retrospect, my family was “lucky” enough to be in WDW during some of the very lowest crowd levels of the past decade. If Dorian hits, I’m assuming the crowd levels will be low again... there’s always a silver lining!

And who doesn't mind getting stuck at WDW an extra day or two? :)

Serious question, do the outdoor rides close in the rain if there is no lightning?

According to latest update from NHC Dorian is expected to hit Orlando area as a Major Hurricane on Monday morning430334

In 2017, I planned a family reunion at VGF in a GV and booked it 7 months in advance and was there Sept 10-11, 2017 and planned MNSSHP and guess what - Hurricane Irma hit florida, WDW was shut down, MNSSHP was cancelled, and most restaurants and services at VGF were closed.

Now in 2019, I planned the same exact family reunion, booked VGF in a GV about 7 months in advance, booked MNSSHP for Sept 2 and guess what, Hurricane Dorian is now scheduled to hit Orlando on that same dates and there is a possibility of the same thing happening again.

Why me????
FYI - I am located in South Florida and my home really got trashed from hurricane Irma when I was in WDW....seriously like a ton of damage from fallen trees.

Not to be mean, but you LIVE in Florida and seem surprised that hurricanes hit Florida in September. Did you just move here? LOL

That big time stinks, but just to possibly help a little with the stress, Irma was a Category 5/4 bruiser. A beast of a storm. Dorian looks to just barely be a Hurricane 1 if it makes huricane strength at all. By the time it gets to Orlando it will most likely be a big rain event, but nothing to shut down the park. A rain storm sometimes keeps the crowds at bay and it could only be 2 days of rain.

Good luck.

Thanks for the positive vibes, I am stressing out myself

It still will not hit Orlando as a cat 3. The coastal area, quite possibly, but it will fizz quickly.

Sure, but it doesn't need to hit Orlando as a cat 3 to start to have an impact on folks' travel plans.

Hurricane Matthew skirted up the east coast of Florida as a cat 3 (the eye never made even close it to Orlando) and that was enough to shut down Orlando International Airport for 24+ hours.

Sure, but it doesn't need to hit Orlando as a cat 3 to start to have an impact on folks' travel plans.

Hurricane Matthew skirted up the east coast of Florida as a cat 3 (the eye never made even close it to Orlando) and that was enough to shut down Orlando International Airport for 24+ hours.
Indeed... it doesn’t even take a tropical depression to mess up travel plans.

It may be Category 2 when it comes across the state heading to the Gulf Coast. Category 3 at landfall. I think it all depends on that front out of Canada.

In 2017, I planned a family reunion at VGF in a GV and booked it 7 months in advance and was there Sept 10-11, 2017 and planned MNSSHP and guess what - Hurricane Irma hit florida, WDW was shut down, MNSSHP was cancelled, and most restaurants and services at VGF were closed.

Now in 2019, I planned the same exact family reunion, booked VGF in a GV about 7 months in advance, booked MNSSHP for Sept 2 and guess what, Hurricane Dorian is now scheduled to hit Orlando on that same dates and there is a possibility of the same thing happening again.

Why me????
Last year during Labor Day weekend my flight to home was cancelled on my way home from Disney because of a hurricane, and I had to stay in ATL. Katrina also hit during Labor Day weekend. Last time going in Sept! I booked these rooms 11 months ago, so I'm making the most of it and staying at Copper Creek Sat-Wed. Lemme know where the hurricane party is!

Aug 28 update

Estimated to be Hurricane Category 3 and aiming for Orlando for Monday at 2pm (when I was planning on going to MNSSHP Monday 4pm)

Attachments

• Dorian.png
    Dorian.png
    101.5 KB · Views: 1
We were at the Contemporary before, during and after Irma (Photos below in my signature). Best trip ever for us, sad for a lot of others that lost their homes or had damage. We have a trip this weekend at Disney's Hilton head resort. We rented points that are not refundable so we are watching the storm very close.

Question
What does it mean for my vacation plans if a hurricane warning is issued within 7 days of my arrival date?

Answer
If a hurricane warning is issued by the National Hurricane Center for the Orlando area—or for your place of residence—within 7 days of your scheduled arrival date, you may call in advance to reschedule or cancel your Walt Disney Travel Company Disney Resort Hotel Package and most room only reservations (booked directly with Disney) without any cancellation or change fees imposed by Disney.

If you have products and services provided by third-party suppliers included in your vacation—such as airlines, hotels, car rental agencies or travel insurance companies—you will continue to be responsible for any non-refundable payments, as well as cancellation or change fees assessed by those suppliers. The policy does not apply to certain special events or dining experiences.

This policy also applies to Disney's Vero Beach Resort or Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort in the event a hurricane warning is issued for those destinations. If you have questions or you wish to reschedule your vacation due to a hurricane warning, please call (407) 939-7675. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call.

Disney is no stranger to the whims of Florida's summer weather. The resort, which is open year-round, had to temporarily close its gated attractions for Hurricane Irma in 2017 and Hurricane Matthew in 2016. A storm-related closure would push this to three instances over four years, a rare sight at Disney World, which prides itself on being open 365 days a year.

A lot can happen between now and this weekend to change Dorian's direction and intensity, and any Jedi mind trick that Disney can do to keep the storm out of harm's way would be greatly appreciated by the state's tourism industry, as well as its residents.

Well no one better cruise with me. I got canceled 2 years ago because of Irma, and been watching all week if I’m getting canceled fir this Saturday. Yesterday they finally said the fantasy cruise should be ok to sail, but it’s been a tough week.

Well no one better cruise with me. I got canceled 2 years ago because of Irma, and been watching all week if I’m getting canceled fir this Saturday. Yesterday they finally said the fantasy cruise should be ok to sail, but it’s been a tough week.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/advisory/
Tropical Weather Update
August 29, 2019 – 10:30 a.m.
We continue to closely monitor the path and progress of Hurricane Dorian to ensure our Guests enjoy safe and comfortable cruises, and to make certain our ships steer clear of the storm. The safety of our Guests and crew is always our foremost concern.
Disney Dream – Friday, August 30
Based on Hurricane Dorian’s current location and projected path, we have determined that it is safe for Disney Dream to set sail on Friday as originally scheduled. Once the ship departs Port Canaveral, it will keep a safe distance from the storm. Depending on its path, there is a possibility that we may need to modify the itinerary, including not being able to return to Port Canaveral on Monday. We will continue to monitor weather forecasts throughout the sailing and adjust as needed.
Guests that do not want to sail on Friday, must call us at 866-325-3905 or 407-566-7032 by noon on Friday. Guests will then have until October 31, 2019 to choose a new sail date. They may change their reservation to a later date without incurring a change fee, though there may be a difference in price depending on the new sailing selected.
Disney Fantasy – Saturday, August 31
At this time, based on the current predicted storm timing and path, we do not anticipate any changes to the Disney Fantasy sailing on Saturday, Aug. 31.
Disney Dream – Monday, September 2
We are closely monitoring potential implications for the Disney Dream sailing on Monday, Sept. 2. We encourage Guests to monitor our website for updates.

it looks like I will have to cancel my disney trip this weekend and I have a VGF grand villa reserved for MNSSHP

it looks like I will have to cancel my disney trip this weekend and I have a VGF grand villa reserved for MNSSHP

I'm so sorry your plans have been messed up again!

I definitely agree with Deb & Bill to avoid September in the future, but October doesn't statistically look that great for Florida either:
Hurricanes by month

I wouldn’t cancel my trip. By the time it gets to Disney it will just be a lot of rain and wind. I’d much rather ride it out in a Grand Villa at the Flo than my home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter