Hurricane Dorian - SWA/Delta/AA/JB waivers available

We are flying in Sunday due to get into MCO at 11:45AM on a direct flight. My guess is worst case we might be delayed depending on winds/rain and the timing or we might be right on time. Last year we flew around the outer bands of Florence on our way down and we were early coming in - so you never know. 'Tis the season! I am not loving the idea of missing a minute of vacation but I know that is just me being a little selfish. Thankfully, I was planning on avoiding the parks except for dinner on Sunday night - but we shall see, Mother Nature is in control for now :) Hopefully Dorian will collapse by Thurs/Friday and it will just be some rain for the weekend to keep away major crowds :)
Same here. Our flight is supposed to land at 11:25 am on Sunday. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed that this storm dissipates before it hits or at least doesn't intensify. I am just worried about GETTING to Florida.

I’m not sure what airlines everyone is using. We’re flying delta and were able to switch our flights for Sunday morning to Saturday morning and they waived the change fee which is usually $200 a ticket. We did pay the difference in ticket cost between the originals and the new ones. Called Disney and they were also able to help me add a day to my package.

I’m not sure what airlines everyone is using. We’re flying delta and were able to switch our flights for Sunday morning to Saturday morning and they waived the change fee which is usually $200 a ticket. We did pay the difference in ticket cost between the originals and the new ones. Called Disney and they were also able to help me add a day to my package.

No change fees with Southwest just have to pay difference right now. Waiting for them to waive that as well then will change.

Orlando is not on the list but I have a flight on Sept 1 to MCO and when I went in to change the ticket this is the message that flashed up. I am flying CLE - MCO thru MDW
Your flight(s) are eligible for a change at no additional cost. Flights with no additional cost will display as "Available".
DEPART FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS
  • Departure airport must be: Cincinnati, OH - CVG, Cleveland, OH - CLE
  • Arrival airport must be: Orlando, FL - MCO
Note: Changes made outside the conditions listed above will not be protected under our established reaccommodation practices and may result in a higher fare.

Orlando is not on the list but I have a flight on Sept 1 to MCO and when I went in to change the ticket this is the message that flashed up. I am flying CLE - MCO thru MDW
Your flight(s) are eligible for a change at no additional cost. Flights with no additional cost will display as "Available".
Note: Changes made outside the conditions listed above will not be protected under our established reaccommodation practices and may result in a higher fare.

Thanks this is new in the last hour I am calling now.

I’m flying out of Columbus Aug 31 😬

You dont have to call you can do it all online. That is how I saw it. I went to manage my reservatation to change my ticket and the message popped up.

I am unable complete it online as I have a lap infant in the group. I have A-List so they answered instantly when I called the members line.

THANK YOU for posting that because it would have been a while before I tried to do the change online again just to see if the message popped up.

I am unable complete it online as I have a lap infant in the group. I have A-List so they answered instantly when I called the members line.

THANK YOU for posting that because it would have been a while before I tried to do the change online again just to see if the message popped up.
Plus we got the pick of any flight before the other people and the flight sell out. I am so happy I got the flight I really wanted in the first place but it was very expensive.
I’m flying out of Columbus Aug 31 😬
Check your flight by going in and doing the change flight option That is where I had the message pop up. I changed my Sept 1 flight to any open flight for another day no additional cost.

We just changed our Southwest flights from Saturday morning to Friday afternoon. We did it online and there were no additional fees. :)

So...I'm not a particularly experienced flyer, especially not in this kind of situation. Looking for some advice here. We are flying in on Southwest from MKE on Sunday and our flight is scheduled to land at 12:50 PM. They are allowing us to change our flight, and we are considering changing it to land at about 10:00 AM Saturday morning. Do you guys think this is early enough that the flight wouldn't be canceled? I'm not too worried about riding the storm out at the resort...I just want to be on the ground before it gets bad. Obviously they wouldn't fly in bad weather anyway. This is our DVC welcome home visit, and we borrowed points to make the reservation. Because of our use year, if we don't use them we'll be out the points. TIA for your help/advice!!

So...I'm not a particularly experienced flyer, especially not in this kind of situation. Looking for some advice here. We are flying in on Southwest from MKE on Sunday and our flight is scheduled to land at 12:50 PM. They are allowing us to change our flight, and we are considering changing it to land at about 10:00 AM Saturday morning. Do you guys think this is early enough that the flight wouldn't be canceled? I'm not too worried about riding the storm out at the resort...I just want to be on the ground before it gets bad. Obviously they wouldn't fly in bad weather anyway. This is our DVC welcome home visit, and we borrowed points to make the reservation. Because of our use year, if we don't use them we'll be out the points. TIA for your help/advice!!

To be clear I was flying out of MKE Saturday afternoon (2PM) and moved my flight to Friday evening. Based on tracking I just want the best chance possible.

You can get a cheap hotel by the airport and then catch the DME in the morning.

Is anyone worried about Monday flights or should it mostly be settled by then? I’m flying home from MCO Monday night. I don’t mind being in the park in the rain, I’ve been eyeing a tiki rain coat anyway! But I am worried about being stuck.

Is anyone worried about Monday flights or should it mostly be settled by then? I’m flying home from MCO Monday night. I don’t mind being in the park in the rain, I’ve been eyeing a tiki rain coat anyway! But I am worried about being stuck.
That all depends on where your inbound flight is coming from. When there is a hurricane airlines get their planes out of the path of the storm to prevent damage to the plane. Also depends on the timing The storm is not suppose to hit FL till Saturday . But if your inbound flight is coming from a city that will be impacted by the storm on Monday and if your out bound flight requires a connection city impacted by the storm then chances are your flight will be canceled or delayed. All depends on the timing. Also remember your plane may come from one city and the crew scheduled to fly your flight can come from a totally different city. We had a storm in Nashville. Our plan got diverted to Austin and our flight crew was diverted to Denver. Needless to say by the time the two got to Nashville the pilots had timed out and were no longer legal to fly anymore for the day so our flight was cancelled. A lot of people don't realize there are two moving parts to a flight. The plane and the flight crew and most of the time the crew flying your flight is not the same crew that just landed on the plane you are about to board. SWA has issued a travel alert from Sat to Mon. and encouraging people to alter flight plans

Last edited:
We are flying in Sunday due to get into MCO at 11:45AM on a direct flight. My guess is worst case we might be delayed depending on winds/rain and the timing or we might be right on time. Last year we flew around the outer bands of Florence on our way down and we were early coming in - so you never know. 'Tis the season! I am not loving the idea of missing a minute of vacation but I know that is just me being a little selfish. Thankfully, I was planning on avoiding the parks except for dinner on Sunday night - but we shall see, Mother Nature is in control for now :) Hopefully Dorian will collapse by Thurs/Friday and it will just be some rain for the weekend to keep away major crowds :)
We are scheduled to land at about 9:15am Sunday from Cincinnati. Hoping Dorian decides to take a turn northward or significantly weakens by then! Not sure what to do as we've never been in this situation before.

We are scheduled to land at about 9:15am Sunday from Cincinnati. Hoping Dorian decides to take a turn northward or significantly weakens by then! Not sure what to do as we've never been in this situation before.
Southwest gave us the option to move our flights for free so we rebooked for a Sat 6 am flight at zero cost and added a night at Coronado Springs ( we are dvc so it will be fun to be in a hotel for a night ). Takes some of the stress away and gain a night vs possibility of losing a night. Everything I have seen is showing it still off shore Sat. Better to gain a day and have to deal there than be stuck in an airport! Still hoping Dorian breaks apart and this is all for nothing lol

First time for me having to worry about any of this, so I'm not sure if we are in the clear. We fly from Indianapolis to MCO on Saturday non-stop arriving at 8:25AM-SW has Saturday on the list. Should we try to change flights? We have to drive 2.5 hours to get to Indy and are driving up on Friday night.

Reading your posts to get some insight on what to do? First time flying to Mco from Pit with family scheduled for Monday at 830AM arrival. SWA shows notice in app that we can change flight but I’m wondering if Dorian will be mostly passed by then? No experience on what airlines typically do. Will our flight just get delayed a little and I don’t need to make any changes? What if totally canceled? What does Disney do? because we’ll miss a hotel stay if this happens (unfortunately, I didn’t get trip insurance 😑) I was thinking of heading Sat before storm and get hotel near MCO airport, but is that wise to head to the storm? I was originally just nervous about our first time flying now I’m getting very anxious!

Reading your posts to get some insight on what to do? First time flying to Mco from Pit with family scheduled for Monday at 830AM arrival. SWA shows notice in app that we can change flight but I’m wondering if Dorian will be mostly passed by then? No experience on what airlines typically do. Will our flight just get delayed a little and I don’t need to make any changes? What if totally canceled? What does Disney do? because we’ll miss a hotel stay if this happens (unfortunately, I didn’t get trip insurance 😑) I was thinking of heading Sat before storm and get hotel near MCO airport, but is that wise to head to the storm? I was originally just nervous about our first time flying now I’m getting very anxious!
Hum you might want to change your flights while there are still seats available. On Sunday into Monday Dorian will be come a hurricane with 100 mph winds and it will be in Orlando so the likelyhood of your flight getting cancelled is very high. I would try for a Friday night flight or early Sat morning arrival into MCO if you can find seats on a flight. If you want too we have stayed at the Country Inn and Suites by the airport. Its a clean hotel with free breakfast and several places to eat nearby and it is a 8 minute drive from MCO and they have free shuttle service pick up till 11p.m. If you flight gets canceled remember so does the fights for hundreds of other people and finding a seat on another flight will be difficult so making your changes now is in your best option. If you flight gets canceled more than likely without insurance you will loose the money paid for the hotel but that is Disney's call as to if they will refund your money. YOu would need to call them to see if they will refund the money. If you paid cash for a reservation you would have till today (Wed.)to cancel it and get your money back. Disney reservations have to be cancelled 5 days before arrival. The current map of storm path430228

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter