Hurricane Dorian / WDW Theme Parks Discussion

i think you"ll be fine by thursday
We are driving down from NW Georgia via Atlanta on Thursday-I have a friend who is a meteorologist, and he also said we should be fine by Thursday, if the hurricane follows the usual pattern. Thursday is three days after it makes landfall. I'm praying for everyone down there now, but there's no way we would consider cancelling. We'll just get gas well before we cross the Florida line.

We are driving down from NW Georgia via Atlanta on Thursday-I have a friend who is a meteorologist, and he also said we should be fine by Thursday, if the hurricane follows the usual pattern. Thursday is three days after it makes landfall. I'm praying for everyone down there now, but there's no way we would consider cancelling. We'll just get gas well before we cross the Florida line.

Track right now has it hitting the middle of florida Wednesday morning and not getting up towards the top of florida till Thursday morning.

Things can change though

But again though you have till Thursday so you’ll know the real amount of everything before you even leave so that’s a plus.

We are supposed to drive down form Wilmington, NC on Monday. Not sure what we are going to do at this point. We may wait and come on Wednesday as well, it is hard to say at this point. Be safe!
I am currently on the phone with member services. I think I'll cancel Sept 4 & 5 and change arrive to Sept 6. We'll still have 8 days to play, but damn if I'm going to lose some prime fast pass reservations!! First world problems. Also still concerned about the availability of power, gas, etc in the aftermath.

So I was supposed to fly out Wednesday, but it looks like the storm will be right over Florida on that day...so I'm thinking of changing to Saturday. I'm assuming I'll be okay by then?

If the parks close for a day, what happens to people with reservations/fast passes? Will they get vouchers for other dates? Only asking because I have a reservation for Oga’s Cantina on Tuesday at 11:40am that I’m very sad to be potentially missing.

If the parks close for a day, what happens to people with reservations/fast passes? Will they get vouchers for other dates? Only asking because I have a reservation for Oga’s Cantina on Tuesday at 11:40am that I’m very sad to be potentially missing.

Based on my experience with Irma, they won't switch you for another date, but there will be a lot of people cancelling their trips which will open up a ton of dining reservations and fastpasses in the couple days following the storm. It's no guarantee you will be able to get another reservation for Oga's on a day the parks are open, but your odds are better than if you needed to reschedule for another reason.

When we were there during Irma, we had to switch almost all of our park days around due to the parks being closed for 2 days. I was able to get every dining reservation I wanted in the 5 days following the storm. I was able to reschedule our fastpasses and got everything I wanted. You just have to hope that people cancelling their trips cancel their fastpasses in addition to their dining reservations.

Try the touring plans reservation finder to help get a diff day

We are supposed to drive down Friday evening (to SC), spend the night and then drive the rest of the way Saturday the 7th. I'm hoping things will be ok by then. We cancelled for Irma years ago...I just can't do that again.

Damn this brings it closer to Orlando.

Few days out.

Let’s get this thing curving before it even gets to florida and out to sea

It’s not out of the possibility.

Hoping for the best. We don’t want it getting closer to the coast though as that is the worst case scenario for people living up there. We want it to completely curve before it hits Florida

We are supposed to drive down Friday evening (to SC), spend the night and then drive the rest of the way Saturday the 7th. I'm hoping things will be ok by then. We cancelled for Irma years ago...I just can't do that again.

The storm will most likely be a TD by then and no serious problem. The real issue is how much damage there will be in central florida.

For hurricane matthew, all FPs and dining reservations that we had were just gone, but found availability from others' cancellations and rescheduling.
Based on my experience with Irma, they won't switch you for another date, but there will be a lot of people cancelling their trips which will open up a ton of dining reservations and fastpasses in the couple days following the storm. It's no guarantee you will be able to get another reservation for Oga's on a day the parks are open, but your odds are better than if you needed to reschedule for another reason.

When we were there during Irma, we had to switch almost all of our park days around due to the parks being closed for 2 days. I was able to get every dining reservation I wanted in the 5 days following the storm. I was able to reschedule our fastpasses and got everything I wanted. You just have to hope that people cancelling their trips cancel their fastpasses in addition to their dining reservations.
This was my experience with Matthew too.

For those on Twitter, it can sometimes be a useful tool when trying to cut through the clutter of news sources out there. The MCO Twitter account, for example, if often a good source for direct and timely info about their operations:

Just to add, it's easy to access many twitter sites even if you're not registered on twitter.
Google orlando airport twitter and the site pops up.

I think Monday would have been better than Wednesday. I don’t see anything getting out Wednesday personally. But again this thing changes so much. 2am tonight should give a much better track. Good thing the flight changes will most likely be free anyways

worst case you can move to a much cheaper hotel off property if you have to star extra
Yeah. They said on the news this morning there is a high something or other that it will hit before it reaches FL and that could weaken it and change it's direction. Now that isn't a version thing just one of many obstacles he will encounter before FL is reached

How many in your party? I got Oga's for 2 for yesterday while walking over to the park and got 2 for today while eating breakfast. There were more for today when I looked again last night. Point is, they aren't impossible to replace

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter