• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane Dorian / WDW Theme Parks Discussion

We are driving down to BWV from Wilmington NC on Wednesday. Thought about canceling Wednesday, but decided to take a wait and see for another day. We did, however, cancel our Wednesday dinner reservation in case we are driving down in rain and just want to take our time. Hoping the storm doesn't impact the Carolinas and lessens to a tropical storm by that point. 🙏

If I absolutely had to be at Disney during a hurricane it would be at WL or AKL. you have a lobby, can walk around, restaurants right there , and wouldn't feel cooped up in a room.
Have been in hurricane at WL. We had to stay in room. There was no walking around the lobby.

The 11 am NHC track is basically unchanged from the previous track, but they did bump up the peak forecasted wind speeds to 130 mph, category 4 status.

Can I ask the Floridians a question concerning this situation?

I have a single daughter that is living in an apartment in Tampa for her first experience with this approaching weather. I have a reservation to fly into Tampa on Wed. and then she and I were going to spend a long weekend in the parks. I'm not really worried about this, at this time.

My question and concern is, should I change my flight to tomorrow and help her prepare and ride out any adverse weather? She's 30. I'm 60+. She is off from work on tomorrow and Saturday and won't know if she is required to work again before Wednesday, till weather reports get closer.

I'm really anxious about what to do and would really like some advice from people living in the state. We do have a hotel booked in case she loses power at her apartment.

Can I ask the Floridians a question concerning this situation?

I have a single daughter that is living in an apartment in Tampa for her first experience with this approaching weather. I have a reservation to fly into Tampa on Wed. and then she and I were going to spend a long weekend in the parks. I'm not really worried about this, at this time.

My question and concern is, should I change my flight to tomorrow and help her prepare and ride out any adverse weather? She's 30. I'm 60+. She is off from work on tomorrow and Saturday and won't know if she is required to work again before Wednesday, till weather reports get closer.

I'm really anxious about what to do and would really like some advice from people living in the state. We do have a hotel booked in case she loses power at her apartment.
Look up Denis Phillips on Facebook. Seriously. He is a no nonsense meteorologist out of Tampa Bay.

We are driving down to BWV from Wilmington NC on Wednesday. Thought about canceling Wednesday, but decided to take a wait and see for another day. We did, however, cancel our Wednesday dinner reservation in case we are driving down in rain and just want to take our time. Hoping the storm doesn't impact the Carolinas and lessens to a tropical storm by that point. 🙏
We are supposed to drive down form Wilmington, NC on Monday. Not sure what we are going to do at this point. We may wait and come on Wednesday as well, it is hard to say at this point. Be safe!

I hope everyone stays safe and Dorian doesnt hit Florida too hard or do too much damage!

My question is purely out of curiosity about AFTER a hurricane comes through and what the impacts are in Orlando and on the parks.

My Dh and I have a 28th anniversary trip Sept 10th-13th and I'm sure Dorian will be gone but what is the aftermath? A week out will there be issues related? Airlines? Damage? I know Orlando isnt coastal so usually it isnt as bad.

Biggest curiosity is crowds. Do people postpone a week or two and then the parks are packed right after a hurricane passes? We wont be terribly impacted either way because it's not a commando-hit-all-the-rides kind of trip, but I'm interested if anyone has experience.

Also, is the weather usually better? Thought I read that usually weather is good for a bit because the hurricane "sucks up" all the moisture, etc in the area?

We were there when Irma blew through 2 years ago. We arrived Friday night. Irma was hitting mid-day to evening on Sunday, although the rain started earlier than that. Parks were closed Sunday and Monday.

A week out, airlines should be back to normal. Damage depends on how the storm tracks and what strength it is when it hits. Irma hit the Keys first as a Cat 4 and worked its way up the penninsula. By the time it reached Orlando, it had lost a good bit of steam. I think it passed Orlando as a Cat 1. There was damage. Jungle cruise and Kali River Rapids were both closed for the remainder of our trip. I don't know how long it took to get those two rides open. There were also various areas of the parks that were closed that week due to downed trees and other damage. Disney worked quickly to get things cleaned up, but there was a lot to do.

We had MNSSHP tickets for Tuesday night so we skipped doing a park during the day and hit the MK starting at 4:00. I don't remember if the parks had a delayed opening that morning or not. Crowds were pretty low, although the lines for the special character meet and greets were still long. Wednesday and Thursday were really dead in the parks. Some rides were walk ons, others had 10-15 minute waits. By Friday, crowds had really picked up. Friday and Saturday in the parks were much more crowded. There were a lot of people that chose to delay their trips by a week or two due to the dire predictions of how strong Irma was going to be.

Weather after the hurricane was awesome. Dry and sunny. Humidity seemed lower than normal for Florida in September. And temperatures were a little cooler, at least for the day or two after the hurricane. But mosquitoes were much, much worse than normal. Probably due to standing water left after the hurricane blew through.

Look up Denis Phillips on Facebook. Seriously. He is a no nonsense meteorologist out of Tampa Bay.

I mean no disrespect but besides emotional support what could you do? I would hope she knows to listen to weather reports and precautions, advise they are giving . If i were her I would feel better knowing my 60+ year old parent was safe at home .

Just thought I'd share a bit of our experience during Hurricane Frances in 2004. We were scheduled to arrive (driving down) on Sunday the fifth of September and were really torn whether to cancel or not. Like many of you, I recall watching the radars and cones, looking for any small wobble one way or another. At its peak, Frances was a Cat 4, and we agreed that we definitely weren't going to risk that. Fortunately, she weakened to a Cat 3, then was predicted to make land as a Cat 2. We were staying at Shades of Green that year and called the resort who told us to come on down, if we wanted to make the trip. So, we decided to go but ended up having to hang north an extra day as Frances slowed down (actually did a little wobble backwards!). All of the Disney parks were closed September 4 and 5, with the Magic Kingdom, Epcot and Typhoon Lagoon opening Monday the 6th and all reopening Tuesday (I believe). I will say that it was just my husband and myself, and our decision to travel might have been different if we had kiddos, as we did experience some nasty weather on the way down. The hotels on the trip down were filled with folks evacuating north which was quite the experience.

Again, we were not on property during the hurricane but arrived immediately following, and Disney does do a great job getting things going again. But, keep in mind that it's not only the physical effects on the parks, etc., but the cast members as well. On our trip, we heard of cast member staffing issues, as they had damage at their homes to address. Even if Disney isn't in direct line for a hit and the parks are open, depending on the intensity and size of the storm, there still could be issues with events limited or cancelled. I do recall reading live postings of folks here on the forums who were in the parks during other storms, and although Disney does its best, being holed up in the resort isn't really all that magical (long lines for less than stellar food at the food courts, etc.).

I will say that after things settled, we had gorgeous weather with lower crowds as many folks did cancel. And, this actually ended up being one of our favorite adventures (and adventure it was!). But, please listen to the experts and don't put your family at risk, if things look bad. We all know how much time, energy, money and emotion are invested in a Disney trip. But, no vacation is worth risking life or limb. Good luck to everyone and please stay safe!

Trying so so hard not to worry myself sick - not easy since worrying is one of my greatest talents :crazy2:. We're not even supposed to land at MCO until about 5pm on Friday, September 6, but I am just so unfamiliar with hurricanes and their aftermath!

I mean no disrespect but besides emotional support what could you do? I would hope she knows to listen to weather reports and precautions, advise they are giving . If i were her I would feel better knowing my 60+ year old parent was safe at home .

I can be there as emotional support, but for me that's important. I'm not sure it will be a lot of fun to go through a potential hurricane all alone. She lives on the ground floor and if there will be flooding, she may want to move some of her furniture and rugs. If she needs to evacuate, she wouldn't be alone driving.

She's in Tampa, so it's not like she's at ground zero. Dorian has to travel across the state to reach her.

Finally, if the storm hits and my scheduled trip for Wednesday gets cancelled, delayed, or diverted, she won't get the trip to Disney.

The 11 am NHC track is basically unchanged from the previous track, but they did bump up the peak forecasted wind speeds to 130 mph, category 4 status.
and it slowed again...was showing 2am Tues over FL this morning.

Those lobbies are also comprised of mostly glass. You may still be confined to your room during the worst part of the storm.

During the worst part of Hurricane Irma, I sat in a rocking chair in front of the massive plate glass window in the back of the Animal Kingdom Lodge lobby watching the storm. I didn't feel unsafe for half a second.

Notice how the hurricane is forecast to slow down as it approaches the coast. That could mean one of two things: 1. If the slowdown happens farther east than currently forecasted, the storm could turn more to the north before it makes landfall. 2. If the slowdown happens after landfall as predicted, it could exacerbate the heavy rain/wind potential over the Florida peninsula.

Trying so so hard not to worry myself sick - not easy since worrying is one of my greatest talents :crazy2:. We're not even supposed to land at MCO until about 5pm on Friday, September 6, but I am just so unfamiliar with hurricanes and their aftermath!
I am with you on that. I am suppose to be there Thursday afternoon. I am worrier myself. Doesn't help I suffer from migraines. So I am going to have a giant migraine all this time. My medication won't work lol

Have been in hurricane at WL. We had to stay in room. There was no walking around the lobby.

Was there during Irma, there were no restrictions about walking around the lobby - *maybe* between like midnight and 6-7 AM but that's it.

Those winds are upon landfall at the coast and would only extend to a 15 miles radius (at the moment, could get a bit larger). If you look at the forecast discussion posted by NHC the forecasted winds for the inland track have actually been downgraded since the last update - now 65mph.

Those winds are upon landfall at the coast and would only extend to a 15 miles radius (at the moment, could get a bit larger). If you look at the forecast discussion posted by NHC the forecasted winds for the inland track have actually been downgraded since the last update - now 65mph.

True, unless the hurricane is moving a lot faster than predicted, areas that far inland wouldn't see sustained winds anywhere near the landfall intensity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter