• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane Dorian / WDW Theme Parks Discussion

According to the official Hurricane Policy there has to be a 'hurricane warning' issued, which is a specific warning the NHS issues, they haven't even issued a hurricane watch yet for Orlando, which is a precursor to a hurricane warning, are they really not allowing changes to reservations yet?

I have a rented DVC reservation for Monday night (only), I'm still hoping for some Disney magic that Dorian will change course, but I can change my fligths with no problem, the other hotel will cancel I'm sure with no problem, but will Disney really not let my reservation be changed until a hurricane warning is issued?

I can be there as emotional support, but for me that's important. I'm not sure it will be a lot of fun to go through a potential hurricane all alone. She lives on the ground floor and if there will be flooding, she may want to move some of her furniture and rugs. If she needs to evacuate, she wouldn't be alone driving.

She's in Tampa, so it's not like she's at ground zero. Dorian has to travel across the state to reach her.

Finally, if the storm hits and my scheduled trip for Wednesday gets cancelled, delayed, or diverted, she won't get the trip to Disney.

Hi, I am not a Floridian but do live on the east coast with storms and hurricanes. True you don't know what will happen yet, but at least you are thinking of things. I am a mom of a daughter and I would absolutely feel the same way as you, I would feel better being with my daughter. I am sure it can be helpful to her. If you will have less stress and be feel at ease I would absolutely go.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Trying so so hard not to worry myself sick - not easy since worrying is one of my greatest talents :crazy2:. We're not even supposed to land at MCO until about 5pm on Friday, September 6, but I am just so unfamiliar with hurricanes and their aftermath!
By Friday it should be all over at least for Orlando areas. If it comes in as a 4, the coast will get it hard. But Orlando should be ok by Friday other than maybe some damage.

According to the official Hurricane Policy there has to be a 'hurricane warning' issued, which is a specific warning the NHS issues, they haven't even issued a hurricane watch yet for Orlando, which is a precursor to a hurricane warning, are they really not allowing changes to reservations yet?

I have a rented DVC reservation for Monday night (only), I'm still hoping for some Disney magic that Dorian will change course, but I can change my fligths with no problem, the other hotel will cancel I'm sure with no problem, but will Disney really not let my reservation be changed until a hurricane warning is issued?

Just in case anyone is wondering when watches/warnings may be issued, this is from the NHC:

Hurricane Watch:
An announcement that sustained winds of 64 knots (74 mph or 119 km/hr) or higher are possible within the specified area in association with a tropical, subtropical, or post-tropical cyclone. Because hurricane preparedness activities become difficult once winds reach tropical storm force, the hurricane watch is issued 48 hours in advance of the anticipated onset of tropical storm force winds.

Hurricane Warning:
An announcement that sustained winds of 64 knots (74 mph or 119 km/hr) or higher are expected somewhere within the specified area in association with a tropical, subtropical, or post-tropical cyclone. Because hurricane preparedness activities become difficult once winds reach tropical storm force, the warning is issued 36 hours in advance of the anticipated onset of tropical-storm-force winds. The warning can remain in effect when dangerously high water or a combination of dangerously high water and waves continue, even though winds may be less than hurricane force.

We changed our flights to come in on Friday instead of Sun morning. We are now planning park days Sat and Sunday and saving off days for if the parks may be closed later in the week... I am sad to see so much of my planning being tossed up in the air though! All the perfect ADR and fast passes that we may have to switch up lol!

I can be there as emotional support, but for me that's important. I'm not sure it will be a lot of fun to go through a potential hurricane all alone. She lives on the ground floor and if there will be flooding, she may want to move some of her furniture and rugs. If she needs to evacuate, she wouldn't be alone driving.

She's in Tampa, so it's not like she's at ground zero. Dorian has to travel across the state to reach her.

Finally, if the storm hits and my scheduled trip for Wednesday gets cancelled, delayed, or diverted, she won't get the trip to Disney.
What does your daughter think? I'm about her age and I personally would feel better knowing my mom was home safe than have her with me for support. I'm sure some would rather the support. I would tell her your fine coming or staying home and ask her what she would prefer.

What are all the people arriving Tuesday doing? I feel there is a 99.9% chance that my 7:15am arrival into MCO is not happening (bc you know, we were supposed to have a full day Day1 lol). We can only alter our trip to Wed-Sun or Sep 23 - 27...which if we do late Sep, I think I'll still have PTSD from this experience! I just want to get to Disney lol

Thanks for the update. I just mentioned before you posted this that it could be stronger than a Cat. 3 coming into land. The other thing to consider when looking at where this will land is the side you are on. If Orlando is on the East side of this storm when it comes in there will be a lot more problems then if it was on the west side. Also, I think how it impacts inland will be where it hits on the coast and how strong it is. It could be stronger than a CAT 1 reaching Orlando. You just don't know yet.

What are all the people arriving Tuesday doing? I feel there is a 99.9% chance that my 7:15am arrival into MCO is not happening (bc you know, we were supposed to have a full day Day1 lol). We can only alter our trip to Wed-Sun or Sep 23 - 27...which if we do late Sep, I think I'll still have PTSD from this experience! I just want to get to Disney lol
I am Tuesday as well, 9pm arrival, and only flexible to arrive Monday afternoon instead...which isn't very helpful. Not sure what I am going to do yet.

I would go now if you can. Riding out a storm with ppl is no fun much less alone. If it were my kid, I’d go for sure esp if you were going anyway. What I would really advise is have her come to you, but if that’s not an option than I would absolutely go.

So if I have a Disney hotel booked Tuesday Sept 3 - Sept 9. what happens if flight delays push my arrival till wednesday? Can I call disney on Tuesday to tell them I wont be there till Wednesday because of the hurricane?

Can I ask the Floridians a question concerning this situation?

I have a single daughter that is living in an apartment in Tampa for her first experience with this approaching weather. I have a reservation to fly into Tampa on Wed. and then she and I were going to spend a long weekend in the parks. I'm not really worried about this, at this time.

My question and concern is, should I change my flight to tomorrow and help her prepare and ride out any adverse weather? She's 30. I'm 60+. She is off from work on tomorrow and Saturday and won't know if she is required to work again before Wednesday, till weather reports get closer.

I'm really anxious about what to do and would really like some advice from people living in the state. We do have a hotel booked in case she loses power at her apartment.

I live in St Pete, just across the water from Tampa. I think the worst we'll see from this is tons of rain (so flood zones may flood but in both St Pete and Tampa, that happens just about every afternoon in the summer) and extended power outages. Hotels are not immune from a power outage - almost all the hotels in our area had no power during Irma just like the houses. We were without for 8 days with Irma and Denis Philips is projecting similar weather to Irma IF Dorian travels across the state to us. And that's a big if.

Being without power in the FL heat is not just uncomfortable but dangerous for many. Make sure she buys supplies now for both of you - stores lost power, too, and had to throw away tons of food and it took awhile for them to restock. Same went with restaurants and gas stations.

It is lonely, esp when work is closed, stores are closed, restaurants are closed, and you're sitting in a dark hot house reading by candlelight. I'm sure she'd appreciate the company if you're okay going into the unknown.

What does your daughter think? I'm about her age and I personally would feel better knowing my mom was home safe than have her with me for support. I'm sure some would rather the support. I would tell her your fine coming or staying home and ask her what she would prefer.

She is actually happy that I'm considering coming. Half the stress for her, she feels and if she is stuck in a hotel somewhere, someone to play cards and games with.

By Friday it should be all over at least for Orlando areas. If it comes in as a 4, the coast will get it hard. But Orlando should be ok by Friday other than maybe some damage.

I really appreciate this! Thanks so much for the positivity :)

I would go now if you can. Riding out a storm with ppl is no fun much less alone. If it were my kid, I’d go for sure esp if you were going anyway. What I would really advise is have her come to you, but if that’s not an option than I would absolutely go.

Thanks for that perspective. Yes, I thought about that too, but she will have work obligations until it's too late to get out, I'm thinking. If I go and it gets bad there, at least we will be able to drive out together.

Trying so so hard not to worry myself sick - not easy since worrying is one of my greatest talents :crazy2:. We're not even supposed to land at MCO until about 5pm on Friday, September 6, but I am just so unfamiliar with hurricanes and their aftermath!

I feel ya, I'm a horrible worrier myself. I'm supposed to arrive this Sunday for a week stay. My worrying is two fold. Worrying about the ruination of my trip and worrying about my house and safety since I live close to Ft. Lauderdale. I don't want it making landfall near my home but also don't want it to to ruin my tip if it goes closer to central FL. You are in a much better situation not arriving until Friday. Unless central FL has serious damage you should be fine.

Thanks for that perspective. Yes, I thought about that too, but she will have work obligations until it's too late to get out, I'm thinking. If I go and it gets bad there, at least we will be able to drive out together.
That’s what I would I do for sure. It’s scary going through even a tropical storm at times. I’ve ridden out too many to count, but never alone. And communication often goes down too. I would have a stroke if DS was in hurricane & couldn’t contact to make sure he is ok. And like your said, someone just to talk to! No power, tv, anything & you want to save your phone battery just in case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter