• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane Dorian / WDW Theme Parks Discussion

That’s what I would I do for sure. It’s scary going through even a tropical storm at times. I’ve ridden out too many to count, but never alone. And communication often goes down too. I would have a stroke if DS was in hurricane & couldn’t contact to make sure he is ok. And like your said, someone just to talk to! No power, tv, anything & you want to save your phone battery just in case.

Oh my gosh!!! I hadn't even thought about that yet. I've been so focused on whether I should go, what flight I can get out of here tomorrow and whether I'm putting myself in danger.

I knew someone on DISboards would help me make the decision and I think this is definitely the tipping point.

The next one, if and when it comes, we will both be better prepared emotionally, maybe.

She is actually happy that I'm considering coming. Half the stress for her, she feels and if she is stuck in a hotel somewhere, someone to play cards and games with.
Sounds like you head down now then and ride it out with her if you are able.

Oh my gosh!!! I hadn't even thought about that yet. I've been so focused on whether I should go, what flight I can get out of here tomorrow and whether I'm putting myself in danger.

I knew someone on DISboards would help me make the decision and I think this is definitely the tipping point.

The next one, if and when it comes, we will both be better prepared emotionally, maybe.
Good luck & stay safe! Hopefully it’s a non issue & y’all just get a longer trip!

Those winds are upon landfall at the coast and would only extend to a 15 miles radius (at the moment, could get a bit larger). If you look at the forecast discussion posted by NHC the forecasted winds for the inland track have actually been downgraded since the last update - now 65mph.
Tinkerbelle,
I mean no disrespect for what I am about to say, but I saw that you posted something similar earlier. I am going to give you a little advise from someone who lives on the Gulf coast to someone who lives in Canada. I have lived on the coast for 5 decades, been through more tropical systems than I can count, and as a law enforcement employee I have been in the conference calls with the NHC. Ignore the size of the storm and windfields as they currently are. The storm will expand as it intensifies and the windfield will as well. In fact, most major hurricanes will have an eyewall reconstruction at some point where the eye will seem to fill in then return even stronger than before. I know you are trying to be helpful, but this is a monster storm and unfortunately people have to make decisions now with the information at hand. If you wait til the last minute when things are certain, then it will be too late. That is just the nature of the beast.

I hope everyone stays safe and Dorian doesnt hit Florida too hard or do too much damage!

My question is purely out of curiosity about AFTER a hurricane comes through and what the impacts are in Orlando and on the parks.

My Dh and I have a 28th anniversary trip Sept 10th-13th and I'm sure Dorian will be gone but what is the aftermath? A week out will there be issues related? Airlines? Damage? I know Orlando isnt coastal so usually it isnt as bad.

Biggest curiosity is crowds. Do people postpone a week or two and then the parks are packed right after a hurricane passes? We wont be terribly impacted either way because it's not a commando-hit-all-the-rides kind of trip, but I'm interested if anyone has experience.

Also, is the weather usually better? Thought I read that usually weather is good for a bit because the hurricane "sucks up" all the moisture, etc in the area?

Haven't been to Florida right after a hurricane but here it can either be quite pleasant after one or hotter than Hades after one. I don't remember necessarily having rain. And it wasn't so much humid. Just HOT.

Tinkerbelle,
I mean no disrespect for what I am about to say, but I saw that you posted something similar earlier. I am going to give you a little advise from someone who lives on the Gulf coast to someone who lives in Canada. I have lived on the coast for 5 decades, been through more tropical systems than I can count, and as a law enforcement employee I have been in the conference calls with the NHC. Ignore the size of the storm and windfields as they currently are. The storm will expand as it intensifies and the windfield will as well. In fact, most major hurricanes will have an eyewall reconstruction at some point where the eye will seem to fill in then return even stronger than before. I know you are trying to be helpful, but this is a monster storm and unfortunately people have to make decisions now with the information at hand. If you wait til the last minute when things are certain, then it will be too late. That is just the nature of the beast.
Couldn’t agree more. A 4 is no joke! At it’s current track most if not all to of state of FL will definitely feel a significant impact. The only thing I will add is that intensity is the least accurate part of the forecast...which that could be good or bad.

Couldn’t agree more. A 4 is no joke! At it’s current track most if not all to of state of FL will definitely feel a significant impact. The only thing I will add is that intensity is the least accurate part of the forecast...which that could be good or bad.

I haven't said much today, because I am having my usual Katrina anxiety and I don't want to be accused of being dramatic.

My dear friend from Chalmette currently lives in Delray Beach and I am worried sick about him right now.

By Friday it should be all over at least for Orlando areas. If it comes in as a 4, the coast will get it hard. But Orlando should be ok by Friday other than maybe some damage.

You do realize that Katrina made landfall as a 3? It was bigger and hopefully slower but still wind speed had it at a 3.

There can be extreme damage inland from a storm that strong.

I don't mean that harshly, just that sometimes people don't realize that you don't have to be on the coastline to have extreme damage.

Tinkerbelle,

Thank you for replying. I agree with everything you said. I was trying earlier to give people different scenarios, so they can make an informed decision about what is best for them.

Have said for the past ten years how I would love to live in Florida, not in Orlando, but maybe right across the line. I am really now rethinking that as I know I just couldn't handle this stuff. I really couldn't. I guess if your used to it, it might be easier for you, but this has really got me to thinking I am good in NW Georgia.

According to the official Hurricane Policy there has to be a 'hurricane warning' issued, which is a specific warning the NHS issues, they haven't even issued a hurricane watch yet for Orlando, which is a precursor to a hurricane warning, are they really not allowing changes to reservations yet?

I have a rented DVC reservation for Monday night (only), I'm still hoping for some Disney magic that Dorian will change course, but I can change my fligths with no problem, the other hotel will cancel I'm sure with no problem, but will Disney really not let my reservation be changed until a hurricane warning is issued?

I'm at YC now and scheduled to fly pit Monday and asked at the front desk this morning how I add a night if/when my flight is cancelled. I was told it is too soon to add the night and that the storm is bring closely monitored and to check back with then when things are more definitive. I'll check with them again in the morning

One thing I did notice is that they are saying it is going to make category 4 status a little earlier now. That could be a good thing, and I emphasize could. For those that don't know, it is hard for a storm sometimes to remain at those strengths because it is using much more fuel to keep up that intensity. Think of it as your car. You use more gas the faster you drive. I am hoping that it expends so much energy before landfall that it quickly downgrades. The best case scenario, of course, would be for it to turn north and just head out into the atlantic, but if it doesn't, hopefully it will lose its intensity.

I haven't said much today, because I am having my usual Katrina anxiety and I don't want to be accused of being dramatic.

My dear friend from Chalmette currently lives in Delray Beach and I am worried sick about him right now.

Hi I would not think you are being dramatic. You have every reason to be worried. Katrina was a horrible storm that did so much damage. You never know what a storm can do. I hope your friend will be okay :goodvibes

Can I ask the Floridians a question concerning this situation?

I have a single daughter that is living in an apartment in Tampa for her first experience with this approaching weather. I have a reservation to fly into Tampa on Wed. and then she and I were going to spend a long weekend in the parks. I'm not really worried about this, at this time.

My question and concern is, should I change my flight to tomorrow and help her prepare and ride out any adverse weather? She's 30. I'm 60+. She is off from work on tomorrow and Saturday and won't know if she is required to work again before Wednesday, till weather reports get closer.

I'm really anxious about what to do and would really like some advice from people living in the state. We do have a hotel booked in case she loses power at her apartment.

I say go. My daughter is 31 and I am 60+ as well. She will be a bit scared and you will be worried if you don't go. I would go. In 2014 here in Michigan, we had a horrible flood (declared an emergency and FEMA was here), and my mom was visiting from Arizona. Even though she was 81, it was a comfort to have her here. I was in WDW in 2004 for Charley with my daughter and her friend, and it was pretty scary. As a mom, you can't go wrong showing up for moral and emotional support, and even if she doesn't admit it, your daughter will be glad you came. (note: Stay at disney if you need to and can get a room,. Great place to be in a Hurricane)

Tinkerbelle,

I have said it more than once. I'm repeating what I've read posted by Denis Phillips - a meteorologist that these boards and numerous Facebook groups recommend heeding his advise as he is known for a level-headed and no nonsense approach. I may be from Canada but I've experience numerous hurricanes in Florida and I've felt the stress of the uncertainty that comes with them. I understand that the windfield CAN grow and that the intensity and track are both uncertain. I was merely stating that the 11am update downgraded the intensity for Orlando. Elsewhere in this thread I've clearly stated that there is still a huge margin of error this far out. The impacts to Orlando (and everywhere else on the SE US coast) are unknown at the moment. I don't understand how saying this is a monster storm or that it will be the biggest to hit FL in 30 year (another poster, not you) is helpful at this point.

I was scheduled to fly in on Sunday. On Tuesday night I made the decision to push my flight out to Thursday, Sept 5th (I paid the change fees myself as my airlines has not yet issued waivers). I am monitoring it to decide if it would be best for my family to push it further. I am, in no uncertain terms, recommending that anyone wait to make changes or prepare. Everyone needs to do what is best for their personal situation.

I'm at YC now and scheduled to fly pit Monday and asked at the front desk this morning how I add a night if/when my flight is cancelled. I was told it is too soon to add the night and that the storm is bring closely monitored and to check back with then when things are more definitive. I'll check with them again in the morning
Thanks … of course if Dorian comes I would expect finding a room (especially right now, one of their slowest times of year) is not the problem … I'm just surprised their official policy is that we can't change anything yet for those of us who haven't arrived, and I may not be able to change my Monday night reservation officially until after I'm supposed to have left! Of course having rented points I have to deal with the middle-man too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter