• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane Dorian / WDW Theme Parks Discussion

We were supposed to land Tuesday morning, so we cancelled our room only reservation that was paid in full. No issues - refund will post in 7-10 business days. After speaking with the resort reservation agent, I was transferred to Guest Services who refunded our two culinary demos that we had on Friday which were non-refundable.

What happens to your pending flights?

We are scheduled to fly out of MCO Wednesday night.
I understand that's probably not happening, but we have been waiting to reschedule as we weigh our options.

We fly down tomorrow morning. Now that the airport is closing, will they cancel my entire booking (including tomorrows ticket) or just the flight home?

Can I just leave my Wednesday flight sit there and figure it out later still? Or am I forced to make a decision now that they are closing Monday?

That being said, the latest NHC is better news.

It's funny how so many of these monster storms kinda just end up petering out.
The 5pm NHC track still has this as a cat 3+ making landfall on the east coast of Florida, then retaining hurricane strength (despite mostly being over land!) almost all the way to the state line-- I don't think that counts as "petering out".

That said, this track looks a little better for the immediate area around Disney World-- just keep in mind that forecast tracks at 4-5 days out aren't particularly reliable and this could really still go anywhere. And storm impacts will extend well outside the center of the storm-- in particular, this is going to dump a lot of rain on Florida as it approaches and moves up the peninsula.

FYI: Just because you have a slight in or out before the airport closure time doesn't mean it won't get canceled. My flight out of Orlando was scheduled hours before MCO closed and it was still canceled.

The 5pm NHC track still has this as a cat 3+ making landfall on the east coast of Florida, then retaining hurricane strength (despite mostly being over land!) almost all the way to the state line-- I don't think that counts as "petering out".

No you're absolutely correct. Poor choice of words!

We flew in at 10/10 last year and landed in Orlando hours before Michael made landfall. It was a last second call and as i watched michaels projectsions keep curving north out of the way to orlando, the only thing left to do was wake up as if we were leaving for the airport and make sure our flight did not get cancelled. Turns out, we touched down like i said before landfall and had a great time. But by the looks of this storm, just stay home and go later in the month or october
We went to HHN on 10/10 and didn’t notice anything but a little rain in the afternoon.

Dies anyone know what the Disbey page said. I keep getting Stitch. And right now I really don't feel like seeing him.

So this might be a really silly question but I’m very clueless as to hurricanes and the aftermath of hurricanes. My question is what are things generally like after a storm like this one. We arrive on September 7th for a 7 day trip and I’m wondering how, if any, a storm like this could impact our trip. I’m assuming the storm will be well over by Saturday the 7th but wondering about things like travel/gas/groceries. Any advice is appreciated. We are driving in from Kentucky btw

So this might be a really silly question but I’m very clueless as to hurricanes and the aftermath of hurricanes. My question is what are things generally like after a storm like this one. We arrive on September 7th for a 7 day trip and I’m wondering how, if any, a storm like this could impact our trip. I’m assuming the storm will be well over by Saturday the 7th but wondering about things like travel/gas/groceries. Any advice is appreciated. We are driving in from Kentucky btw

Some of this has been discussed in this thread already.

Potentially gas shortages throughout the state, lack of power, flooding, closures of stores, restaurants, downed trees, flooding. Really too early to tell until storm makes landfall.

Does anyone know when is the latest time I can contact Disney to reschedule my trip? I have booked my BA flight through Disney. Departing next Wednesday, assuming that all will go to plan unless the flight gets canceled.

I understand that's probably not happening, but we have been waiting to reschedule as we weigh our options.

We fly down tomorrow morning. Now that the airport is closing, will they cancel my entire booking (including tomorrows ticket) or just the flight home?

Can I just leave my Wednesday flight sit there and figure it out later still? Or am I forced to make a decision now that they are closing Monday?

I was supposed to fly in this morning and fly out late Tuesday through Jetblue. I called and cancelled and was refunded for my full round trip ticket, not just the return flight. I paid with points, so those were just returned to my account, but I did find out that had I paid with money it would have been returned to me as a credit which could be used anytime within the next year.

If I were you, I would cancel/reschedule and not fly into the mess tomorrow. If you call now before you are scheduled to leave, the airline will likely refund your money or waive all fees and re-book you, or give you a credit for the amount you paid to be used in the next 12 months. They won't cancel your booking on their own. If your return flight gets cancelled, it is going to be up to you to try to get yourself re-booked on a different flight-- people were on the phone for hours and hours and some could not get out for days. Everyone that was on a flight for Monday that is now cancelled are already trying to find other flights later in the week- if it is bad and the airport remains closed a couple of days and your Weds flight gets cancelled- you are competing with all the other people who are already trying to re-book from Monday and Tuesday to try to get on the earliest flight.

The hurricane isn't going to go away-- it looks like the best case scenario (and unlikely according to the spaghetti models) is that it skirts the coast and is not a direct impact. You are still likely looking at a couple of days of rain (maybe even torrential rain) and high winds even if it is not a direct hit. Less damage- but still not much fun in the parks. Having ridden out Matthew at the resort-- there is no way I would fly down there knowing that a Hurricane was coming especially for a short trip. Yes- WDW did the best they could on taking care of everyone during Matthew--- but I wouldn't exactly call it fun (at least not for DH and I). Yes, they will try to get the parks re-opened as quickly as possible-- but if they do sustain quite a bit of damage and there are tree branches and trees down in the parks-- it could talk a while to clean up and get things moving again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter