Hurricane Elsa

BensWife

DIS Veteran
Well, just saw on the weather channel that Hurricane Elsa is heading to Florida next week, right when we get there. I haven’t had this happen before. I read online that our hotel/tickets will be refundable, and I think our flights (Southwest) will be refunded too if it hits (still a little early to know for sure). When do you make the decision to cancel? We could possibly reschedule for later in July, but then my son will miss summer band, and I have jury duty that I already deferred because it was originally next week when we “should” be gone. I’m on hold with Universal right now, but I’ve been on hold for 55 minutes, so I’m guessing its going to be a while. What have you done in this situation?

At this point, I would just confirm policies.
It's too early to know which direction this will go.
Typically if the park, airlines call it - you should have no issues getting refunds or vouchers.

In most cases, I'd rather have the refund. Good luck!

Well, just saw on the weather channel that Hurricane Elsa is heading to Florida next week, right when we get there. I haven’t had this happen before. I read online that our hotel/tickets will be refundable, and I think our flights (Southwest) will be refunded too if it hits (still a little early to know for sure). When do you make the decision to cancel? We could possibly reschedule for later in July, but then my son will miss summer band, and I have jury duty that I already deferred because it was originally next week when we “should” be gone. I’m on hold with Universal right now, but I’ve been on hold for 55 minutes, so I’m guessing its going to be a while. What have you done in this situation?

So, I'm a little late to the info here...

My 19 yo and her bff are heading to WDW tomorrow morning and planning on leaving Monday. I had no idea about Elsa until about 30 minutes ago.

When are you flying in?

So, I'm a little late to the info here...

My 19 yo and her bff are heading to WDW tomorrow morning and planning on leaving Monday. I had no idea about Elsa until about 30 minutes ago.

When are you flying in?
We were flying in on Wednesday (7/7), but we decided to just cancel. Called Universal and they were amazing. They tried to reschedule for later this month, but the cost difference was WAY too much for us to afford. Our package and the airfare would add $2500 for moving it just one week later. That is crazy! They were so nice and refunded our money. We were able to book a new vacation to Disneyland next week instead for even cheaper than we had paid for Universal. Hopefully, the weather in California will cooperate better with us! 🙂. We are all bummed about canceling this trip, but just not worth the uncertainty. We do plan on trying Universal maybe in the next year or two.

We were flying in on Wednesday (7/7), but we decided to just cancel. Called Universal and they were amazing. They tried to reschedule for later this month, but the cost difference was WAY too much for us to afford. Our package and the airfare would add $2500 for moving it just one week later. That is crazy! They were so nice and refunded our money. We were able to book a new vacation to Disneyland next week instead for even cheaper than we had paid for Universal. Hopefully, the weather in California will cooperate better with us! 🙂. We are all bummed about canceling this trip, but just not worth the uncertainty. We do plan on trying Universal maybe in the next year or two.

That price difference is crazy! But I think you did the right thing. Especially for a first trip. We just got home from our first universal trip today and it was soooo much more rain than we expected. We expected some scattered afternoon showers but it rained several times all 4 days we were there. Morning, afternoon and evening. I definitely wouldn't want to try touring during a tropical storm and certainly not a hurricane.

Sorry you had to cancel but the weather will absolutely cooperate with you here in California!

Have fun at Disneyland!

Here at WDW now, we check in to PBR on Monday for 8 nights. It's been raining pretty good this week so don't expect much of a change for a tropical storm lol. I'll be in the parks until they kick us out.

Here at WDW now, we check in to PBR on Monday for 8 nights. It's been raining pretty good this week so don't expect much of a change for a tropical storm lol. I'll be in the parks until they kick us out.
ditto. We'll figure it out even if it means staying an extra couple of days. Luckily we drove down and have a couple of free days scheduled at home before work monday so if we have to use it we can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter