• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-board to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane food- what do you buy?

This is what they handed out at work earlier this year (I was able to find the link online):

http://www.sacramentoready.org/Prepare/Documents/21_weeks_to_prepare_red_cross2011.pdf

Don't forget a battery operated (or hand cranked) radio, lots of flashlights and batteries, that sort of thing.

Where I live, we get earthquakes so they recommend not using the gas stove, which will work if the power goes out (just need a match to light it because the thing that makes it light is operated by electricity, as I recall).

Where I live, we get earthquakes so they recommend not using the gas stove, which will work if the power goes out (just need a match to light it because the thing that makes it light is operated by electricity, as I recall).

There are still a few stove types without electronic ignition. I still have a 40+ year old gas stove with a pilot. There are mechanical (piezo-type) igniters like in a backpacking stove or butane lighter, but I'm not sure who still might have one on a home stove.

I heard about it on the radio (and our hotel had signs recommending that guest do it) to fill bathtubs with water just in case municipal water was unavailable. I don't know about drinking, but I think the suggestion was for stuff like filling a toilet tank or maybe just general cleaning.

My big worry was my rental car was in the parking lot, and that a light pole could crash on it.
Yep, you never know if the community water system is going to have working pumps.

Nothing. Let’s face it, most people have enough food in the fridge, freezer and pantry to survive for a while. If we lose power for s significant amount of time, I’m cooking up a ton of perishables. If we don’t lose power, the storm wasn’t that bad. I remember reading a funny editorial about Sandy, saying that everyone might actually have to resort to eating the canned goods this time.

ETA, copious amounts of beer and wine!
I remember the first storm I had to actually eat the canned goods! Hurricane Issac! Ugh! We thought we would cook the perishables b/c we had a gas stove, but it was just too hot & you really didn’t want to eat. You just had to eat a little something...hence the canned goods. By day 3, one grocery store in the city was able to open & had power. We bought such random stuff b/c we were so happy not to have to eat the canned food anymore!

Make sure you have water to flush the toilet. You really don't want to use your good drinking water. We'd just use the pool water. We have a water cooler, so we always have two five gallon bottles of water on hand, plus several cases of water. cheese, crackers, cold cereal. Make sure you have food for your pets. Make sure you have any meds you or your pets require, at least a weeks worth. Keep a copy of your mortgage, insurance papers, pet innoculations (if case you have to board them or they have to go to a shelter).

But if you lose power, eat all the ice cream first before it melts.
Never thought of using the pool water! We usually fill bathtubs but do have a pool!

Never thought of using the pool water! We usually fill bathtubs but do have a pool!

I think it depends on the condition of the pool. I thought the biggest problem with any kind of flooding and the use of water is that there's just so much stuff contaminating it. Is it safe using untreated flood water?

Hardly anything because everyone shows up and buys massive amounts of everything and anything before I can get to it ;)

Water (if I can find it), we usually just fill up empty containers with tap water. Some tuna, chips, granola bars. Peanut butter and bread. I try to always work the before shift, so the hospital provides my food. My friends and I lived off of cookie butter and rice cakes that we brought in with us during Irma. We were locked up for 48 hours.

Hardly anything because everyone shows up and buys massive amounts of everything and anything before I can get to it ;)

Again, I've had one experience. I remember going to Publix and other stores, where they had specialty sections just concentrating storm preparation supplies. Lots of cooking stuff like inexpensive grills, matches, Zippo supplies (couldn't figure that one out), breakfast cereals, bottled water, etc. Most stuff was in its own section, but it was kind of telling that they concentrated a lot of junk food along with the stuff to cook with if there was no electricity.

And the other thing that I've seen there was shelf-stable milk. I can find it at home if I know where to look (especially dollar stores) but in Florida it seemed that this was just something that most grocery stores are assumed to have.

Make sure you have water to flush the toilet. You really don't want to use your good drinking water. We'd just use the pool water. We have a water cooler, so we always have two five gallon bottles of water on hand, plus several cases of water. cheese, crackers, cold cereal. Make sure you have food for your pets. Make sure you have any meds you or your pets require, at least a weeks worth. Keep a copy of your mortgage, insurance papers, pet innoculations (if case you have to board them or they have to go to a shelter).

But if you lose power, eat all the ice cream first before it melts.
If it has melted it's yummy a top most any kind of baked goods or fruit as a sauce. You can also add chocolate chips, dust it with cocoa mix or use a dollop of Hershey's syrup. Learned this the hard way whilst camping as I never found a way to keep ice cream hard no matter how I tried without a decent freezer so finally just went with the flow.
Also makes a great smoothie placed in a Mason jar with some soon to melt ice cubes, mashed up fruit whether fresh or frozen. Leave a little air space in the jar and shake until incorporated.

Love your ideas for alternative water use during an emergency!

Being from Orlando and having a lot of hurricanes in the last few years let me make a few more suggestions.
Do all your laundry now!! you may not have power for days.
Freeze bags of water for extra ice. We really needed ice the days after the storms and it was in short supply.
Clean your bathrooms!! It’s amazing how stinky they get without air conditioning.
If you have a pump for water fill the tub or some buckets with water so you can flush the toilets.
No need to buy bottled water just fill up some jugs/pitchers.
Have a full charge on your phones.
You may also want to get some external batteries and charge them.

I think it depends on the condition of the pool. I thought the biggest problem with any kind of flooding and the use of water is that there's just so much stuff contaminating it. Is it safe using untreated flood water?
Not for drinking...for flushing the toilet.

I'm in the DC area, so not sure yet if we will get hit or lose power but I stocked up on Sunday just in case. So far I picked up 2 cases of water bottles, some tuna and chicken salad kits, apple sauce, chips and salsa, beef jerky, pasta and sauce (I have a gas stove). I pack these items in my lunch anyways so either way it will get used. I also have some portable chargers to keep my phone charged, plenty of candles, and flashlights. Oh and some good books to read :-)

A couple of small things no one mentioned:

if you are going to try boxed mac n' cheese, buy small cans of evaporated milk to cook it with; that way you won't waste your drinking milk, nor have to ice down a large amount of milk.

Smoked deli meats will keep better than roasted ones, especially poultry meats like turkey or chicken. Cured ham is best of all, but you get tired of it after awhile.

A manual can opener is about $1.50 - $3.00 ... invest.*

Always plan for a way to cook without electricity after the storm passes. Use a grill, a gas stove if you have one, or even an open fire in a pit. Microwaves, electric skillets and the like CAN be run off batteries, but they use a LOT of wattage, so they will run batteries down in a flash.

Do not plan to use your car as a generator to charge electronics after the storm; gasoline is a precious commodity. Buy little portable battery backups and make sure they are all charged.*

Remember that even if you do get a generator, you'll also need very long HD extension cords to power major appliances with it. Generators give off fumes and are noisy when running; you will want to locate it WELL away from the window the cords are coming in through -- at least 20 feet.

*For small kitchen items and portable chargers, try shopping at places like Marshalls or TJMAxx; they will usually still have them even when Walmart runs out.

And have instant coffee, though will have to light grill to boil water (man, wish we had gas grill).

I've used sterno to boil water...place two under the grill, pot sitting over flames. And then you can put the extra in thermos for later if you're an all day coffee drinker. A lot quicker and easier than using charcoal just for hot water.

This is the best canned chicken I've found. It's great for making chicken salad or tossed into a pasta salad or on a Caesar salad.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Low-Sodium-Chunk-Chicken-Breast-12-5-oz/42613740

Some of the other canned chicken is way to salty or have a weird "canned" preservative taste to them. :crazy2:

Barilla Protein Plus pasta is the only pasta I eat. It tastes like regular pasta, yet instead of high in carbs, it is high protein. So you can substitute it for meat or other protein in a meal.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Barilla-ProteinPlus-Farfalle-Multigrain-Pasta-14-5-oz/13908658

Get some small jars of mayo. This way if your power goes out, you only have to crack open small jars to use for chicken salad, pasta salad. Toss the un-refrigerated and open a new small jar as needed the next day. Someone else mentioned getting a box of mayo packets, but I don't know where to get one from locally.

Get cans of chick peas & some sesame oil & garlic powder & lemon juice & olive oil. And a potato masher, although a fork will work too. You have all the makings for hummus.

Canned white cannelloni beans or canned unsalted pinto beans are actually quite bland tasting. They take on the taste of salad dressings really well, so they can taste different every day and make a great protein. Add them to the Barilla Plus pasta to make a pasta salad. Add canned corn, canned olives, salad dressing or a drizzle of olive oil & lemon juice or vinegar.

Also:
Canned peaches, pears in juice, not syrup
Canned mandarin oranges
Applesauce
Canned yams
canned veggies
nuts, almonds
Peanut butter
Jam
Bread
snacks
Protein Plus Power Bars - they are not all nutty flavored
Olly Protein Bar - Chocolate chocolate chip flavor tastes like a candy bar, but higher protein

Cans of Sterno - from the camping section
matches or a fire starter

If you have a cat and use Tidy Cats, the plastic jugs are great for keeping extra water to flush the toilets.

Extra batteries
More flashlights than you think you need
Paper books to read - for when your computers, tablets & cellphones run out of power.

If you get earthquakes, don't light matches as, if there is a gas leak, it may create a gas explosion.

Mayo doesnt need to be refridgerated if you scoop what you need on clean spoon and dont re scoop with same spoon. Also they sell boxes of mayo packets. I got one of those to go with my pull tab cans of chicken and tuna.

Mayo doesnt need to be refridgerated if you scoop what you need on clean spoon and dont re scoop with same spoon. Also they sell boxes of mayo packets. I got one of those to go with my pull tab cans of chicken and tuna.

I was just about to comment the same thing! A squeeze bottle will keep you from scooping with an unclean untensil.

Everyone has mentioned sterno and candles. Be careful. If there is a lot of trees down, a fire truck will have trouble getting to you.
That’s why we prefer just to use the grill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter