Hurricane Hillary headups- Sunday 8/20

clallen72

Earning My Ears
Major storm warning for Southern Cali as Hurricane Hillary comes up the west coast in the coming days (est hit SoCal areas by Sunday 8/20) . It probably will be a lesser storm by the time it hits land, but still likely to drench the area for the week.

Possible flash floods, which can take out roads, block canyons, create mudslides. So be sure to stay informed if you are travelling around the area at this time. Hopefully, it won't impact the Parks much.

What about the airports? Do you think they’ll be closed on Monday and Tuesday?

United has absolutely nothing up about changes. I'd think Sunday and Monday may have delays, but usually at this point airlines have travel alerts up if they are anticipating things being really hairy.

American and Southwest only lists one city in Mexico for an alert - Los Cabos. Nothing in Southern California.

The current track and timing shows it out of there by Monday evening.

I'm not a meteorologist, so take this with a grain of salt. I think it is unlikely that any airports in the area will close down completely for this. They might delay flights or cancel a handful of flights if a particularly heavy thunderstorm cell randomly blows through the area around one of the airports (just like they do in Orlando some times in the afternoons), but I don't think this is the same type of situation as hurricanes slamming into Florida over the years, where everything closes and people evacuate to escape or hunker down to stay safe from the storm.

For us here in Southern California, this hurricane looks like it will bring (potentially heavy) rain and some winds (and I say this as of now) on Sunday and Monday, but it is not expected to be a hurricane that is making landfall in California. As OP mentions, this will probably be a lesser storm by the time it comes into the area, though we will feel the effects of the storm as it passes by us. This could certainly all change within the next day or two, but as of now, it is looking like a rain storm that will pass through, just like other rain storms do from time to time.

I don't want to be flippant, or suggest that there aren't potential dangers involved in any sort of storm, but rainy days at Disneyland can be some of the best!

From the LA Times:

By the time the system makes it to the southwestern U.S., officials believe its hurricane-strength winds will have weakened — lessened by landfall or cooler waters, depending on its path. But there's still a good chance that tropical-storm-force winds will hit the Southland, an event that the region hasn't seen since 1939...Projections show the storm has about a 50% chance of hitting Southern California late Sunday or early Monday as a tropical storm, meaning sustained winds at or above 39 mph.

Does Disneyland do the Rainy Day Parade like DisneyWorld does?
I just found video of one from last February with a web search, but it wasn't like the one at the MK. No parade name banner, no CMs in cute yellow and red rain outfits, no "Singin' in the Rain," just a few of the Main Street transportation vehicles carrying characters and some generic Disney music.

I do think it will rain and probably have wind, but these storms often lessen in intensity as soon as they are over land. San Diego might be harder hit than Orange County. As a local I’m keeping an eye on the weather forecast but I’m not freaking out by any means.

Forecast currently calls for rain Sunday and Monday, but possibly starting Saturday in the evening.

Could really be a bummer for the CHOC Walk on Sunday 8/20. :(

Last edited:
Just a reminder, the majority of injuries/fatalities with hurricanes relate to inland freshwater flooding, so be cautious traveling to and from the park, because those dangers may still be present. We had people swept away in their cars here in California over the winter during flooding with sad and unfortunate results.

Don't drive into flooded roadways.

Otherwise unless you live in a flood plain, you should be fine, and if you're at the park, you should be fine too.

We were at the park one day (maybe 12 years ago) when the santa ana's were howling and I remember watching CM's with chainsaws limbing and cutting up trees around the park that were moving or in danger of falling; but the rides were all open and we had a good day.

Oh dear. :-( This is their first real CHOC Walk in years, right? (Not counting the substitute events they've had since the pandemic.) I hope that, since people have already registered, not actually attending the walk won't affect their donations. I know this is a big fundraiser for CHOC.

I do think it will rain and probably have wind, but these storms often lessen in intensity as soon as they are over land. San Diego might be harder hit than Orange County. As a local I’m keeping an eye on the weather forecast but I’m not freaking out by any means.

Forecast currently calls for rain Sunday and Monday, but possibly starting Saturday in the evening.

I don’t think it will affect the walk since the rain isn’t expected until mid day on Sunday.

What about the airports? Do you think they’ll be closed on Monday and Tuesday?
The FAA has put out warnings to expect flight impact but nothing about closures. It's a wait and see situation. If there are strong winds, they may ground flights for a period of time (they did this the last big storm).

There is a flood watch in effect starting Sunday (Aug 20) night through Monday night noted for Burbank, Longbeach and Los Angeles. But all that is wait and see...its just a 'watch' and likely impact the surrounding streets more than the airport itself.

I think the real issue here is SoCal residents are not prepared for severe weather *at all*. When we got heavy rains last fall and spring it was like armageddon around here (San Diego County). Meetings cancelled, cars skidding all over the road, “severe weather” school pick up procedures. They do not know how to drive in any kind of weather.

We are just back from vacation so the proverbial pantry is bare and I went to the store and expected to see no bottled water, chips, batteries, etc (as we would on the east coast and Canada when a storm was brewing) and it was like any other friday. People talking about enjoying the coming rain, maybe we’ll make something cozy, etc. Personally I picked up some extra jugs of water we can use at the beach if they aren’t needed and yes we’re planning to make some serious comfort food Sunday (I’m looking at you Osso Bucco) but as we are coastal I’m charging the flashlights, cancelling plans and not taking any chances. After what happened in Maui (different, I know, but still) I do not want to be caught unprepared.

As PP mentioned its the flooding and power outages due to heavy winds that are my concern. I was supposed to go to dland on Saturday with my eldest but we opted to cancel because the last thing I want is to get stuck on the 5 headed southbound with a bunch of frenzied drivers Saturday night.

I am sad for the CHOC walk as well as I fear it will be impacted even if things lessen. If I were travelling from out of state I would plan to be flexible with your plans (perhaps use Sunday as a rest day) and hope that all it brings is some moody weather that will make lines short! And I’d pack that rain gear!

I think the real issue here is SoCal residents are not prepared for severe weather *at all*. When we got heavy rains last fall and spring it was like armageddon around here (San Diego County). Meetings cancelled, cars skidding all over the road, “severe weather” school pick up procedures. They do not know how to drive in any kind of weather.

We are just back from vacation so the proverbial pantry is bare and I went to the store and expected to see no bottled water, chips, batteries, etc (as we would on the east coast and Canada when a storm was brewing) and it was like any other friday. People talking about enjoying the coming rain, maybe we’ll make something cozy, etc. Personally I picked up some extra jugs of water we can use at the beach if they aren’t needed and yes we’re planning to make some serious comfort food Sunday (I’m looking at you Osso Bucco) but as we are coastal I’m charging the flashlights, cancelling plans and not taking any chances. After what happened in Maui (different, I know, but still) I do not want to be caught unprepared.

As PP mentioned its the flooding and power outages due to heavy winds that are my concern. I was supposed to go to dland on Saturday with my eldest but we opted to cancel because the last thing I want is to get stuck on the 5 headed southbound with a bunch of frenzied drivers Saturday night.

I am sad for the CHOC walk as well as I fear it will be impacted even if things lessen. If I were travelling from out of state I would plan to be flexible with your plans (perhaps use Sunday as a rest day) and hope that all it brings is some moody weather that will make lines short! And I’d pack that rain gear!
You are correct that we as a state are not prepared for extreme weather, in part because we very rarely get it. It can be problematic we we do get something impactful.

As for the stores being full stocked, we are used to weather people blowing these storm watches out of proportion. They really do take it to ridiculous levels and 9 times out of 10 the weather ends up being non-eventful. So we are trained to ignore all the dire warnings.

That being said, who knows what will come of this one. We’ll find out this weekend!

I just found video of one from last February with a web search, but it wasn't like the one at the MK. No parade name banner, no CMs in cute yellow and red rain outfits, no "Singin' in the Rain," just a few of the Main Street transportation vehicles carrying characters and some generic Disney music.
We had pretty heavy rain in early January last year and this is what they ran for the Christmas Fantasy Parade, it was still a pretty cute show.

When the rain was "lighter" (not puddling in the streets but not weak by any means) they ran the full parade minus some of the vehicles/dancers that would pose a hazard if wet.

Here's the official tropical storm watch notice from NWS this morning for the Anaheim area (one of many notices released this morning for various parts of Southern California):

Hilary Local Watch/Warning Statement/Advisory Number 9
National Weather Service San Diego CA EP092023
829 AM PDT Fri Aug 18 2023

CAZ554-182330-
/O.NEW.KSGX.TR.A.2009.230818T1529Z-000000T0000Z/
Orange County Inland Areas-
829 AM PDT Fri Aug 18 2023

...TROPICAL STORM WATCH IN EFFECT...

A Tropical Storm Watch means tropical storm-force winds are possible
somewhere within this area within the next 48 hours

* LOCATIONS AFFECTED
- Santa Ana
- Anaheim
- Irvine
- Fullerton

* WIND
- LATEST LOCAL FORECAST: Equivalent Tropical Storm force wind
- Peak Wind Forecast: 40-50 mph with gusts to 70 mph
- Window for Tropical Storm force winds: Sunday afternoon
until early Monday morning

- THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY THAT INCLUDES TYPICAL FORECAST
UNCERTAINTY IN TRACK, SIZE AND INTENSITY: Potential for wind 39
to 57 mph
- PLAN: Plan for hazardous wind of equivalent tropical storm
force.
- PREPARE: Efforts to protect property should now be
underway. Prepare for limited wind damage.
- ACT: Act now to complete preparations before the wind
becomes hazardous.

- POTENTIAL IMPACTS: Limited
- Damage to porches, awnings, carports, sheds, and unanchored
mobile homes. Unsecured lightweight objects blown about.
- Many large tree limbs broken off. A few trees snapped or
uprooted, but with greater numbers in places where trees
are shallow rooted, especially in coastal and valley
locations that don`t typically experience strong winds.
Some fences and roadway signs blown over.
- A few roads impassable from debris, particularly within
urban or heavily wooded places. Hazardous driving
conditions on bridges and other elevated roadways.
- Scattered power and communications outages.

* FLOODING RAIN
- LATEST LOCAL FORECAST: Flood Watch is in effect
- Peak Rainfall Amounts: 1-3 inches, with locally higher
amounts

UNCERTAINTY IN TRACK, SIZE AND INTENSITY: Potential for major
flooding rain
- PLAN: Emergency plans should include the potential for
major flooding from heavy rain. Evacuations and rescues are
likely.
- PREPARE: Strongly consider protective actions, especially
if you are in an area vulnerable to flooding.
- ACT: Heed any flood watches and warnings. Failure to take
action will likely result in serious injury or loss of life.

- POTENTIAL IMPACTS: Extensive
- Major rainfall flooding may prompt many evacuations and
rescues.
- Rivers and tributaries may rapidly overflow their banks in
multiple places. Small streams, creeks, canals, arroyos,
and ditches may become dangerous rivers. In mountain areas,
destructive runoff may run quickly down valleys while
increasing susceptibility to rockslides and mudslides.
Flood control systems and barriers may become stressed.
- Flood waters can enter many structures within multiple
communities, some structures becoming uninhabitable or
washed away. Many places where flood waters may cover
escape routes. Streets and parking lots become rivers of
moving water with underpasses submerged. Driving conditions
become dangerous. Many road and bridge closures with some
weakened or washed out.

* TORNADO
- LATEST LOCAL FORECAST:
- Situation is unfavorable for tornadoes

UNCERTAINTY IN TRACK, SIZE AND INTENSITY: Tornadoes not expected
- PLAN: Tornadoes are not expected. Showers and thunderstorms
with gusty winds may still occur.
- PREPARE: Little to no preparations needed to protect
against tornadoes at this time. Keep informed of the latest
tornado situation.
- ACT: Listen for changes in the forecast.

- POTENTIAL IMPACTS: Little to None
- Little to no potential impacts from tornadoes.

* FOR MORE INFORMATION:
- readyoc.com

You are correct that we as a state are not prepared for extreme weather, in part because we very rarely get it. It can be problematic we we do get something impactful.

As for the stores being full stocked, we are used to weather people blowing these storm watches out of proportion. They really do take it to ridiculous levels and 9 times out of 10 the weather ends up being non-eventful. So we are trained to ignore all the dire warnings.

That being said, who knows what will come of this one. We’ll find out this weekend!
Oh yes, the media is its own storm. :)

We experienced a tropical storm when we were in Baltimore and honestly it was really wild and cool where we were north of the city, but some of the harbour and coastal areas had nasty flooding. Guess the memory of that had me a little nervous so I figured a few extra water jugs and batteries wouldn’t hurt. With school starting next week I also don’t really mind the excuse to cancel plans. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter