• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane Hillary headups- Sunday 8/20

How many hours are you allowing for driving from SD to DL?
We had planned to hike a bit at Torrey Pines but now we are pretty open to whatever the day brings. I expect to be there by 4 pm to check into our hotel.

Listen to those who have been through major-to-middling rain events in SoCal. A couple of hours of steady rain will put Aviation Blvd/Rosecrans Ave under two feet of water. Even less rain will bring the LA freeways to a dead stop. A mudslide will take out PCH in the Malibu area. Several people will slip into the rivers and drown. And on and on...

Don't mess with this storm. Stay put.

From the latest Tropical Storm Warning for Anaheim/SoCal:
- THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY THAT INCLUDES TYPICAL FORECAST UNCERTAINTY IN TRACK, SIZE AND INTENSITY: Potential for major flooding rain - The flooding rain threat has remained nearly steady from the previous assessment. - PLAN: Emergency plans should include the potential for major flooding from heavy rain. Evacuations and rescues are likely. - PREPARE: Strongly consider protective actions, especially if you are in an area vulnerable to flooding. - ACT: Heed any flood watches and warnings. Failure to take action will likely result in serious injury or loss of life.
Didn't Southern California have several major rain events last Winter?

Listen to those who have been through major-to-middling rain events in SoCal.
My point was, there are two people (now three, including you) on this thread who appear to have been through major rain events, yet their approach is vastly different.

Elected officials and emergency personnel are saying one thing, while event organizers are doing another.
A couple of hours of steady rain will put Aviation Blvd/Rosecrans Ave under two feet of water.

That's an oddly specific intersection. I had to google it. Are your referencing a potential impact on LAX?
Don't mess with this storm. Stay put.
Are you advising people not to drive to, or participate in, the CHOC walk?

Knotts Berry Farm just closed for the entire day.

Due to Hurricane Hilary, Knott's Berry Farm, Knott's Soak City, and the California Marketplace will be closed today, Aug 20. Any Knott's Berry Farm ticket dated for today can be used any one public operating day thru 12/31/23. Any Soak City ticket dated for today can be used any operating day thru 10/1/23.

My point was, there are two people (now three, including you) on this thread who appear to have been through major rain events, yet their approach is vastly different.

Elected officials and emergency personnel are saying one thing, while event organizers are doing another.

That's an oddly specific intersection. I had to google it. Are your referencing a potential impact on LAX?

Are you advising people not to drive to, or participate in, the CHOC walk?
-Who do you choose to believe? Emergency personnel or event organizers?
-That was an oddly specific intersection to demonstrate that extreme flooding can occur at oddly specific places. You won't know until you get there and by then it's too late.
-I'm not advising anything about the CHOC walk. Do what you want.

Due to Hurricane Hilary, Knott's Berry Farm, Knott's Soak City, and the California Marketplace will be closed today, Aug 20. Any Knott's Berry Farm ticket dated for today can be used any one public operating day thru 12/31/23. Any Soak City ticket dated for today can be used any operating day thru 10/1/23.
Actually soak city will still be open. You just stand out in the parking lot and get soaked.

-Who do you choose to believe? Emergency personnel or event organizers?
-That was an oddly specific intersection to demonstrate that extreme flooding can occur at oddly specific places. You won't know until you get there and by then it's too late.
-I'm not advising anything about the CHOC walk. Do what you want.

There is no doubt that there will be isolated areas that end up having severe impacts from this event. There will be plenty of flash flooding and pictures of cars getting stuck in a sea of mud in the desert areas. Also in the urban areas there will be some landslides as well. However for the vast majority of Southern California residents it will be the same as a typical rainy Winter's day.

The Disney decision was clearly made when the forecast was for the storm to move much more slowly and arrive in the evening. I mostly just feel sorry for the CMs that will have to navigate through the mess while going home tonight.

There is no doubt that there will be isolated areas that end up having severe impacts from this event. There will be plenty of flash flooding and pictures of cars getting stuck in a sea of mud in the desert areas. Also in the urban areas there will be some landslides as well. However for the vast majority of Southern California residents it will be the same as a typical rainy Winter's day.
I don't understand. Are you saying that "for the vast majority of Southern California residents" it will be business as usual? Go out and about without a care in the world?

I don't understand. Are you saying that "for the vast majority of Southern California residents" it will be business as usual? Go out and about without a care in the world?
You weren’t asking me, but as a Southern California resident, it’s very much business as usual. We’ve gotten a little bit of rain and no wind. We are by the coast.

Last edited:
Magic Mountain in Valencia (60 miles north of Disneyland) closed for the day. I can't imagine being on one of their coasters in the wind and rain.

1692550136035.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter