Hurricane Ian Disney resort experiences

Cindra

Mouseketeer
If anyone is staying at a Disneyworld Resort today (9/28 or next couple of days) please share your experiences with how it is going. What is available at the resorts? Anything different/special as a result of the weather and parks being closed, etc.

We were staying at the Polynesian during the hurricane. We had a pool room view.

What food was available?
  • Captain Cooks was open except during the storm, which luckily fell overnight - so this wasnt a big impact except for breakfast 9/29
  • Tambu Lounge was open for drinks only - no food.
  • A new Quick Service station was setup in the lobby - Ohana Noodles & Dumplings or Chicken Tenders & Fries were the options for around $10
  • Boxed Lunch / Breakfast - cold lunches.
What entertainment was available?
  • Tambu Lounge for adult make your own entertainment - after a few drinks, we made new friends on both hurricane days.
  • For the kids, they had games with the characters, coloring, trivia, movies and plenty of activities.
  • Meet & Greets and more with the characters - I mean the 1:1 time with Mickey, Pluto, Lilo & Stitch was amazing. The kids had fun.
  • Outdoor entertainment - the pool stayed open until 3:30 or so on 9/28
Did we feel safe?
  • This was my 4th hurricane, my wife & kids' first. I went through Charlie, Frances & Jeanne at Disney, now I add Ian to the list.
  • Absolutely felt safe the entire time.
Did we do anything special to prep for the storm (compared to a normal trip)? Yes.
  • We drove down. This was already planned as driving trip, so that was normal.
  • We took extra water and food (mostly snacks) just in case. We left Friday 9/23 while the storm track still wasnt dialed in.
  • I took extra gas. When I was in FL for Charlie, gas was hard to come by for a couple days (stations were without power, or card readers werent working). I filled up at Speedway on property, and kept two 5gal jugs in the truck.
  • Bought food (and boxed lunches) early when offered knowing it was possible to shut down at any time.
What was the storm like at Disney? Well....just for yourself:

Overall, it was a great trip. We made up for the time in the room and really packed in the park time.
The only issue I really had was the surprise that Mousekeeping was already in my bathroom with the door locked before 9am.... and that was after I spent a couple minutes walking around the room and talking while I made a room tour video:

Talk about awkward!!

Last edited:
Thank you for all of the details. I was at Disney once during a hurricane (so long ago I'm not sure which) and they did such a great job of providing everything possible without parks being open (stayed at Coronado Springs). Sounds like they did a great job again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter