Hurricane Ian - WDW Resorts Related Updates, Planning & Discussion

We are suppose to leave NW Louisiana Friday night and drive overnight to get to WDW port Orleans FQ around 9am Saturday.

Really worried about I-75 and the Toll road.

Our daughter is just distraught and upset about this situation.
We drove in a day or 2 after a hurricane, I believe it was Irma. There were no gas stations open, and traffic was at a standstill from all the people driving back in that evacuated. Push it back. It was scary to be stuck in traffic with hardly any gas stations open

We are suppose to leave NW Louisiana Friday night and drive overnight to get to WDW port Orleans FQ around 9am Saturday.

Keep in mind possible flooding, clearing debris, and long gas lines along the way.

Just wanted to add my perspective here, and this isn't related to any one post or comment...just a general thought. I know it can be frustrating when people are focusing on what may seem like relatively trivial inconveniences and disappointments, especially when the scope of what's happening to so many other people who live in the path of the storm is HUGE and potentially severe. But this is undeniably an incredibly stressful situation, and people aren't always at their best during these times. Don't get me wrong, I've also had to take my share of deep breaths over the last couple of days ;). But the important thing to remember is that people who are impacted by this storm (even if the impact may seem relatively small compared to others) need compassion right now. Or at the very least, they need people to just not react if possible. If you've been impacted by Ian at all, I'm sorry. And if you're in the path of the storm, my thoughts are with you hard right now. Please stay safe.

I don’t expect the cabin to get blown away. It’s more like they want people where they can see them because in this day and age so many people go out and do stupid things to post to Tiktok or whatnot. They don’t want people trying to record videos outside to post and then getting injured on Disney property.
Outbuildings such as the WL cabins and the Poly bungalows are certainly more apt to sustain damage than the main buildings, but I think there's a bigger problem than people in the outbuildings wanting to wander around. Those people have to go somewhere for food and other services. Yes, they might have food in the fridge, but what if they run out? Or what if they get cabin fever? The main buildings enable people to sleep, eat, and even be entertained all in one secure building. Also, CMs then don't have to go outside to the outbuildings to check on guests or take supplies to them. So it's better for guests and for CMs to have everyone in the main building.

BTW, has anyone heard whether Disney is offering special rates to Florida residents for the next few days? I have a friend who took shelter at WDW during a big hurricane about 15-20 years ago.

I don’t expect the cabin to get blown away. It’s more like they want people where they can see them because in this day and age so many people go out and do stupid things to post to Tiktok or whatnot. They don’t want people trying to record videos outside to post and then getting injured on Disney property.
There are a lot of trees around those cabins. I was at the Boardwalk during Irma, and when it was safe to leave the hotel, we took a walk to the other Epcot resorts to see the damage. We saw trees that were knocked over with the roots pulled from the ground. A large tree falling on those cabins with lead to a very dangerous situation for the family inside.

BTW, has anyone heard whether Disney is offering special rates to Florida residents for the next few days? I have a friend who took shelter at WDW during a big hurricane about 15-20 years ago.
They often do, but last I knew WDW wasn't accepting new reservations for anyone until they get everyone already onsite situated. Unless they've opened evacuation bookings in the past few hours.

The Cabins at Copper Creek, The Bungalows at the Poly and the Treehouses at SS are all in danger of being flooded out due to their proximity to bodies of water. The expected rainfall amounts of 12 to 24 inches over the 48 hours of impact will cause dramatic rises in the lakes/rivers that these accommodations are on.
Add in hurricane force winds pushing the water out of its usual place… recipe for disaster.
I’m guessing that was the major reason for the relocation of the guests staying there. Best not to wait til the worse happens to deal with it - proactivity was the best option.

Worrying couple of days for both Disney and universal.

Their attractions and buildings would of been build to withstand hurricane force winds, but..

What about things partially build.

The Tron canopy is wide open and resembles a big sail, what's the chance after all the delays it nearly complete and it gets badly damaged.

Epic universe has thousands of bits of equipment and numerous partly build walls etc, going to some military type operation going on there now to secure everything down.

Don't forget all the campers at Fort Wilderness campground have to be evacuated to "sturdy" accomodations.. That in of itself is a lot of people. Best of luck to everyone there. (we were lucky just missed this by a week!)

Guests must check in to resorts on Sept. 28, by 3 p.m. Please feel free to reschedule your trip or cancel; any customary cancellation fees will be waived.

Guests that are checked in by 3 p.m. Wednesday will be asked to shelter in place at their resort for the duration of the storm, this includes any resort-to-resort transfers.

Guests are strongly encouraged to enjoy food and beverage offerings at the parks and Disney Springs before returning to their Resort hotels.

Dining options for Guests staying in our Resort hotels will vary, and in some cases may be very limited. Where available, restaurants will accept walk-ups only; Guests will not need dining reservations.

Characters will not be available in character dining locations on Wednesday and Thursday.

The Grand Floridian Spa will close at noon Wednesday, Sept. 28.

If anyone’s weathering at CSR, I’m hoping to be on a 6 AM flight and have some hard cider that will otherwise go to waste. Happy to leave it somewhere tonight…

You may, emphasize may, take a look at diverting at Talahassee and driving down US 19 along west coast. Looks that part of state will miss damage. GasBuddy should help locating gasoline.

You may, emphasize may, take a look at diverting at Talahassee and driving down US 19 along west coast. Looks that part of state will miss damage. GasBuddy should help locating gasoline.
US19 is super close to the water in some places. If Citrus County is still showing storm surge danger, 19 might be flooded approaching Crystal River.

US19 is super close to the water in some places. If Citrus County is still showing storm surge danger, 19 might be flooded approaching Crystal River.

Yes, but that part of the state shows to have minimal flooding, and by Friday should be completely clear of the storm. It is a 4 lane divided highway with stoplights and cross traffic. A traveler will need to use Waze or Google Maps to determine real-time traffic patterns. Gasbuddy is invaluable in locating gasoline. A fill-up in Tallahassee should get you all the way to WDW, about 250 miles or so.

We have opted to stay at WDW at the BC rather than moving to Universal tomorrow. We’re due to check out in the morning but Disney has repeatedly assured us we will have a room, they just can’t book it now.

We got a shipt order, made reservations at Cape May for breakfast and dinner and spending our last evening in Epcot with rain threatening to start any minute.

Shame on some of the guests I’ve overheard while at the desk. Screaming and demanding they get rooms extended. Poor CM’s who are already overworked and I’m sure worried for their own personal circumstances!

We have opted to stay at WDW at the BC rather than moving to Universal tomorrow. We’re due to check out in the morning but Disney has repeatedly assured us we will have a room, they just can’t book it now.

We got a shipt order, made reservations at Cape May for breakfast and dinner and spending our last evening in Epcot with rain threatening to start any minute.

Shame on some of the guests I’ve overheard while at the desk. Screaming and demanding they get rooms extended. Poor CM’s who are already overworked and I’m sure worried for their own personal circumstances!
Yes sadly hurricanes affecting WDW brings out the worst and best in people. We have been there for several and have seen some really hateful, guest behavior toward the cast members.

Just got back to the YC from Epcot. The CMs in the parks have been quickly getting things secured, wasn't expecting to see so many things wrapped in saran wrap so early in the afternoon, but they have an efficient system!

No notices from the YC yet besides the pool being closed through Friday. Figured they'd ask us to bring in the balcony furniture, but nothing. We will bring it in regardless.

If anyone is here at the YC and wants to do a Dis meet sometime in the next two days let me know! Stay safe!

Here's a picture from the room a few minutes ago, the calm before the storm.

Attachments

• PXL_20220927_232509800.jpg
    PXL_20220927_232509800.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 38
At OKW they said that Olivia’s open for breakfast and maybe goods to go. They have some food in the shop but not a lot of choice. They are doing lunch kits tomorrow depending on what they get delivered. Got some DVDs and a board game on loan. Never been in a hurricane before so quite worried.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter