Hurricane Ian - WDW Resorts Related Updates, Planning & Discussion

Went down this morning and was told the guy last night had bad info, that rooms are available, and they apologized then told me to call guest services to extend. So I asked for a manager because waiting on hold for hours cannot be the only way to handle it. I was right. The manager was able to extend our stay with points and assured me everything was fine. I told him that yes- it was fine now but this was the first definitive info I could get from his staff for the past two days. I also asked him to tell guests to bring in their balcony furniture. He said he would bring it up in the executive meeting because they hadn’t thought of that. To his credit, he was embarrassed.
I’m glad this seems to be settled for me, but it’s incredible to me that the resorts aren’t sharing vital institutional knowledge on storm prep and that there are no 24 hour manager rotations and instead sadly ill-informed staff are having to deal with frustrated guests. For the record, I conveyed all these concerns to him without ever being rude or short with him. He didn’t personally screw this up. But I sincerely hope there are serious lessons learned at the end of this as I was given no impression that they will be able to manage the next few days smoothly.

CM’s at front desk at BLT are telling evacuees that they cannot bring their dogs unless they are service dogs.
I always thought it was a law that during a hurricane pets *are* allowed at hotels. Anyone have any other experience with this?
Private hotels/businesses do not have to take pets.

What the law says is that FEMA, state and local agencies that are doing emergency management plans have to plan for pets as well. Now if FEMA books an entire hotel likely they will have to take them because it is now a government managed shelter.

I think because many people who are at the mercy of government agencies as their only resources are also likely to stay behind because of their pets. This gets them out of harms way in to shelters if they can bring their pet.

Still very calm here, no wind and barely drizzling. Also still no info from the hotel (YC). Going to go down to the lobby in a bit to fill our mugs and see if they have any info on food for the next two days. We have some snacks in the room and plenty of water and wine (you know the important stuff) but would like to know if we will be able to get sandwiches or something at some point. The store was pretty much picked clean besides a few salads last night so hoping to get something at least for dinner tonight at the hotel. Otherwise we'll be living on wine chocolate and cheez-its for a few days!

Still very calm here, no wind and barely drizzling. Also still no info from the hotel (YC). Going to go down to the lobby in a bit to fill our mugs and see if they have any info on food for the next two days. We have some snacks in the room and plenty of water and wine (you know the important stuff) but would like to know if we will be able to get sandwiches or something at some point. The store was pretty much picked clean besides a few salads last night so hoping to get something at least for dinner tonight at the hotel. Otherwise we'll be living on wine chocolate and cheez-its for a few days!
We’re at the BC. Cape May is taking walk ups for meals today but be aware that at some point they may shut off access between the 2 resorts. All restaurants are accepting walk ups. Our qs said they would be restocking supplies throughout the day so just have to check back now and then.

We were scheduled to come down Saturday from Atlanta to head to Universal for Fall break. Debating whether to push it back to Monday or cancel -- we can't really reschedule because of school schedules and other travel but my husband grew up in Florida and is very concerned about not being able to find gas on the way down.
If you can wait until last minute to make a decision, do so. The storm will have cleared the area by Friday morning but who knows how much damage they will have to address?

On another site, I saw a picture of a menu of the options at the yacht club. Adult breakfast boxes with a bagel, fruit, cereal, and OJ were $5 and kids breakfast boxes with cereal and fruit were $4. There were about six sandwiches to choose from for $7 each

On another site, I saw a picture of a menu of the options at the yacht club. Adult breakfast boxes with a bagel, fruit, cereal, and OJ were $5 and kids breakfast boxes with cereal and fruit were $4. There were about six sandwiches to choose from for $7 each
Here is another from Port Orleans…

Disney World Hotels Roll Out Hurricane Meal Kit Menus

As is typical for modified operations during hurricanes, Walt Disney World has begun to roll out its hurricane meal kit menus for guests who are staying on property. A reader sent in the photo below of the hurricane meal kit menu from Port Orleans. Disney World will have limited food options for guests as long as it remains safe to do so.

We were telling CMs at MNSSHP last night that all the candy we got was our hurricane survival kit. We may not have water, but we’ll survive on Snickers and Skittles!

Ok, forgot to bring my phone downstairs to get a picture so bad on the ground reporting from me, but they do have signs up in the YC lobby with food info (meal kits you can get at the quick service locations) and a sign with a QR code to scan to get updates on the hurricane closures.

We also swung by Ale and Compass and they will be open for breakfast lunch and dinner and are taking walk-ups. We did thank the CMs we spoke with for being here through this, definitely appreciate all that they do, especially over the next few days. One of the CMs did mention the ride out crew was scheduled to be here through Friday, so looks like we may be hanging out at the hotel beyond Thursday, but we shall see.

Sitting out on the balcony now while we still can. Rain has really picked up, but there's still no wind.

If water lines breach and lose pressure from enough damage in the system, water starts flowing backwards. Yea. That backwards. Then the water is contaminated and you get a boil notice, tap is not safe, maybe for days. You need to have some drinking water in case this happens. Fill up your coffee pot, your water bottles, your coffee cups, your ice bucket, your second sink, whatever you have. If all you have is a sink and a bathtub, fill one and dispose of water the other way.

Do NOT shower in contaminated water! Take a shower now while the water is clean.

Last edited:
CM’s at front desk at BLT are telling evacuees that they cannot bring their dogs unless they are service dogs.
I always thought it was a law that during a hurricane pets *are* allowed at hotels. Anyone have any other experience with this?
My understanding is that the governor has asked hotel properties to loosen their policies and allow people to bring pets, but it isn't a mandate. There is no law that I am aware of in regard to this.

As is typical for modified operations during hurricanes, Walt Disney World has begun to roll out its hurricane meal kit menus for guests who are staying on property. A reader sent in the photo below of the hurricane meal kit menu from Port Orleans. Disney World will have limited food options for guests as long as it remains safe to do so.

That is the exact menu I saw for theYacht club.

If I were there, I would buy extras of the breakfast boxes since that is all shelf-stable (maybe save the OJ) - I wouldn't count on getting out for a box tomorrow morning...

And the kid one, with the PB, might be the even better extra buy.

And the kid PB sandwich box...

I'm watching all of this unfold on FB, National Hurricane Center
They're doing short segmented updates.

They just did a Rainfall Risk Update:
Magenta = 15" of rain
1664370161900.png

cnn
15 min ago Hurricane Ian prompts closures across Florida
Here are some of the businesses and events that have been shut down or suspended in light of Hurricane Ian's expected impact on Florida.
Airports:
  • Commercial operations at Orlando International Airport (MCO) will cease at 10:30 a.m. ET on Wednesday.
  • Tampa International Airport (TPA) suspended operations Tuesday at 5 p.m. ET.
  • Sarasota-Bradenton airport closed at 8 p.m. ET Tuesday night.
  • The terminal at St. Pete-Clearwater International Airport closed at 1 p.m. on Tuesday.
Theme parks:
  • SeaWorld Orlando, Disney theme parks and water parks, and Universal Orlando Resort theme parks and CityWalk will be closed Wednesday and Thursday.
Football:
  • The Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Tuesday said they were relocating their football operations to Miami-Dade County and also postponing a ceremony for former coach Bruce Arians.
NASA:
  • Kennedy Space Center’s Visitor Complex will be closed Wednesday and Thursday.
  • NASA has rolled the massive Artemis I mega moon rocket back into its hangar at the Kennedy Space Center.
Stores and resturants:
  • At least 11 Waffle House Stores have closed ahead of the hurricane.
  • Publix said it will close stores in 11 counties today.

CMs here at GF are showing these and saying after 3 today, all-day tomorrow, and most likely Friday morning, these are the options. Friday is a total wildcard for them. Good luck everyone. We are at VGF in Big Key. Have booze and snacks. Welcome to meet up and ride out with other Disers

I'm watching all of this unfold on FB, National Hurricane Center
They're doing short segmented updates.

They just did a Rainfall Risk Update:
Magenta = 15" of rain
View attachment 705971

cnn
15 min ago Hurricane Ian prompts closures across Florida
Here are some of the businesses and events that have been shut down or suspended in light of Hurricane Ian's expected impact on Florida.
Airports:
  • Commercial operations at Orlando International Airport (MCO) will cease at 10:30 a.m. ET on Wednesday.
  • Tampa International Airport (TPA) suspended operations Tuesday at 5 p.m. ET.
  • Sarasota-Bradenton airport closed at 8 p.m. ET Tuesday night.
  • The terminal at St. Pete-Clearwater International Airport closed at 1 p.m. on Tuesday.
Theme parks:
  • SeaWorld Orlando, Disney theme parks and water parks, and Universal Orlando Resort theme parks and CityWalk will be closed Wednesday and Thursday.
Football:
  • The Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Tuesday said they were relocating their football operations to Miami-Dade County and also postponing a ceremony for former coach Bruce Arians.
NASA:
  • Kennedy Space Center’s Visitor Complex will be closed Wednesday and Thursday.
  • NASA has rolled the massive Artemis I mega moon rocket back into its hangar at the Kennedy Space Center.
Stores and resturants:
  • At least 11 Waffle House Stores have closed ahead of the hurricane.
  • Publix said it will close stores in 11 counties today.
****s bad when Waffle House closes. Stay safe everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter