Hurricane Ian - WDW Resorts Related Updates, Planning & Discussion

I know there is nothing you can do it about it now, but this might be a good learning lesson for others when renting points during hurricane seasons and consider getting travel insurance.
Since the points you rented do not belong to you and you are not the member, they can't extend your stay on points. They were being gracious actually to discount the room from rack rates. If they charged you more than rack rate it would be price gouging. Stay safe.
It is extremely unlikely that travel insurance would cover this situation. You might be able to buy travel insurance but I have yet to hear of any successful stories from anyone who has tried to put in a claim to travel insurance for points rented from an individual. That is the downside to renting points. It is basically impossible to insure.

Lesson learned for us - Don’t buy tickets thru Undercover Tourist ever again. If we aren’t able to use our Universal tickets, we’re just out the money. Since our use date started yesterday, they will not refund or exchange. My daughter bought her Disney tickets thru them as well but I’m unsure as to whether Disney will give her future credit for unused days due to the storm or if she loses that as well. I’ve always been hesitant to buy tickets from other sources and now I know why. UT was not the least bit helpful/ tough luck for you is their policy.
Ouch on UOR! I would be livid honestly. Have you talked to UOR to find out if they’ll let you apply the ticket to a new one?

As far as Disney goes she’s clear. From the website “Partially used multi-day theme park tickets with a validity window impacted by closure due to Hurricane Ian will be automatically extended to allow use of the remaining unused ticket days through Sept. 30, 2023.”

Ouch on UOR! I would be livid honestly. Have you talked to UOR to find out if they’ll let you apply the ticket to a new one?

As far as Disney goes she’s clear. From the website “Partially used multi-day theme park tickets with a validity window impacted by closure due to Hurricane Ian will be automatically extended to allow use of the remaining unused ticket days through Sept. 30, 2023.”
I think Uni would take care of them. Would not expect Undercover Tourist to do anything though, there isn't anything they can do.

Universal was no more helpful. We were told we’d have to deal with UT on any refunds or date changes. We weren’t wanting a refund, just a change in the start date/ neither place would do it.

I think Uni would take care of them. Would not expect Undercover Tourist to do anything though, there isn't anything they can do.
They wouldn’t. Either place could have done something - UT given us a full credit, allowed us to repurchase with a new effective date. They wouldn’t have lost a dime. Universal could give us credit for unused days. I’m grateful that Disney has a more generous policy.

Looking at a live webcam south of the MK, and it looks like it's breezy, but rain has mostly stopped. I have to say this as an observer and not on site. I'm impressed with the effort WDW made to help guests cope and maintain a sense of normalcy. People are very easily panicked in such situations. Putting the characters out in the hotels to entertain everyone was a great idea. Kudos to whoever thought it up. Also, were there any power interruptions overnight?

They wouldn’t. Either place could have done something - UT given us a full credit, allowed us to repurchase with a new effective date. They wouldn’t have lost a dime. Universal could give us credit for unused days. I’m grateful that Disney has a more generous policy.
That is a bummer. I went to UT's site, as I always buy tix through them. Looks like it is very dependent on the theme park. SeaWorld, Legoland, Busch Gardens are all listed as places that now give your dated tickets leeway through end of the year. Both disney and universal do not have anything listed regarding tickets.

Definitely sounds like whatever relationship those theme parks have with UT.

I hope you have better luck today.
Please try again at the Universal Studios Guest Services window with your tickets and receipt.
I have never been told “ No tough luck policy “ from USO .
I purchased over 10 years ago a 3 Day get day free both park to park access offer from my AAA in Kansas . Never used them and presented at window expecting Sorry because the photocopy’s of everything was barely legible. They basically asked me what I wanted .I asked for the 3 days for grandsons visit during holiday week (he wasn’t even born then … That trip was cancelled and they have extended it to include this holiday week visit.
I also realized I had not cancelled that Hard Rock Reservation and they allowed me to use that deposit towards this years visit.
Please try again . Do not give up.
Goodluck

That is a bummer. I went to UT's site, as I always buy tix through them. Looks like it is very dependent on the theme park. SeaWorld, Legoland, Busch Gardens are all listed as places that now give your dated tickets leeway through end of the year. Both disney and universal do not have anything listed regarding tickets.

Definitely sounds like whatever relationship those theme parks have with UT.
Disney will give us credit for unused days. Universal would not. An extension just thru the end of the year would not have helped us regardless. I’m extremely grateful Disney is extending a year.

My bad for not reading the fine print. We assumed an unused ticket was eligible for exchange but deep in the fine print, it is not. But I certainly won’t ever use them again. The small savings isn’t worth the risk.

I hope you have better luck today.
Please try again at the Universal Studios Guest Services window with your tickets and receipt.
I have never been told “ No tough luck policy “ from USO .
I purchased over 10 years ago a 3 Day get day free both park to park access offer from my AAA in Kansas . Never used them and presented at window expecting Sorry because the photocopy’s of everything was barely legible. They basically asked me what I wanted .I asked for the 3 days for grandsons visit during holiday week (he wasn’t even born then … That trip was cancelled and they have extended it to include this holiday week visit.
I also realized I had not cancelled that Hard Rock Reservation and they allowed me to use that deposit towards this years visit.
Please try again . Do not give up.
Goodluck
Thanks for the information, I’ll have her give it one more try. I’m not overly fond of Universal but I’m trying to learn to love them. lol Not working with us on tickets is making it difficult though- hopefully she just talked to the wrong person or in the frenzy of an upcoming storm? Bad inaccurate info was given,

Sorry to hijack the thread over our ticket saga. I appreciate the tips. We’re going to venture out soon to see what this gs look like around the resort. Rain has stopped, winds seem to be dying down so that’s good news at least!

Looking at a live webcam south of the MK, and it looks like it's breezy, but rain has mostly stopped. I have to say this as an observer and not on site. I'm impressed with the effort WDW made to help guests cope and maintain a sense of normalcy. People are very easily panicked in such situations. Putting the characters out in the hotels to entertain everyone was a great idea. Kudos to whoever thought it up. Also, were there any power interruptions overnight?

Good morning
I live in Celbration …with daylight I am seeing very little debris out our windows but it was kinda scary at 2:00 a.m. for awhile.
If I checked out the back of my house (west maybe ) the weather just seemed like a bad rainstorm No thunder or lightning
but when I opened the front door on the other side ( East, I think )
the wind and rain blew thru the doorway and during the night at 2 it was bad . I kept checking for water leaks etc.
So I guess the wind strength depends on the location of webcam .
So tired of watching the weather.!
Hey nothing like a Hurricane to motivate this moving into new home just throw everything into truck and unload ( dump) in garage and pray it doesn’t
flood the garage too!
That’s why I am not sure about East/west
I‘LL know better if the sun ever rises again!

Currently at kidani. Never lost power though the storm as far s I can tell. Cast member did a great job extending our reservation from Riviera to Kidani because we couldn’t check into Riviera today. There were plenty of kids activities, Russel and Dug did a meet and greet in the lobby and the atmosphere was generally positive. My wife and I were able to have our anniversary dinner at Sanaa last night which made it feel more like a normal day.

Disney will give us credit for unused days. Universal would not. An extension just thru the end of the year would not have helped us regardless. I’m extremely grateful Disney is extending a year.

My bad for not reading the fine print. We assumed an unused ticket was eligible for exchange but deep in the fine print, it is not. But I certainly won’t ever use them again. The small savings isn’t worth the risk.
UT doesn't want to absorb the loss. They'd offer you a refund, IF, Universal would refund UT. UT can't resell a dated ticket.

Deal direct and you might be able to contact someone who could make an exception. UT can't make an exception binding on a third party.

I agree. The savings may not be worth it. Travel insurance might not help. Travel Insurance through Chasr SR does not cover tickets

At GF and this is simply untrue. It’s rainy and windy, comparable to mid afternoon yesterday. The roads in Kissimmee and Orlando are flooded per local news.

Disney will give us credit for unused days.
For partially-used WDW tickets from this week, the expiration will be extended through 9/30/23. Fully-unused tickets that need the dates adjusted will fall under the normal rules of a credit for the ticket towards the new dates.

So sorry Universal isn’t helping. I would try again. Hopefully it was just an ill-trained staff and someone else will be able to assist.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter