Hurricane Ian - WDW Resorts Related Updates, Planning & Discussion

For those watching weather reports about flooding and other damage in the area. Please remember that "Orlando" (the city) is 10 miles from WDW. Also, Orange County" is huge and extends from the WDW area to within 20 miles of the East Coast. Weather conditions at WDW may be very different that what you are seeing on the TV.

All good with you I hope?

Might want to also check social media. UniNewsToday on Twitter says lots of reports of flooding around Universal.
Not outside of my windows on Universal property. We are getting ready to walk around now. I can see cars out driving around on the roads. We face the city side, not the park side. There many be some roads but maybe all reports are of the same road? We’ll see the canal here in a minute.

My daughter just updated me on what Universal told her. They said they authorized UT to modify tickets and UT absolutely could modify tickets with no lids on their part if they chose to. They’re choosing not to because while they won’t lose money, they won’t make it either.
Or Universal gave your daughter bad info OR, most likely, the policy change from Universal hasn't filtered down to UT reps

UT was sold. Decisions have to come from TX. There might be a delay in communicating.

That said dealing direct makes it easier if you need changes or exceptions

Here at Boardwalk we never lost power and I can’t see any damage on the Boardwalk from my room. Had a small amount of water seep under the door but nothing significant and the towel I had there soaked most of it up. I’ll update if I see any damage when we walk the resort.
We are also at the Boardwalk. We have a pool view 1 bedroom 3rd floor. The carpet in the bedroom is wet right by the door and the wood floor in the living room had a lot of water by the door. They left carts in the hallway with extra towels/bedding so I grabbed some towels and cleaned up. The pool looks perfectly fine except for one awning by the pool bar may have damage.also a path near the pool is flooded. We are going to walk around the lobby while my husband takes a work call so I’ll check things out.

Thanks for the information, I’ll have her give it one more try. I’m not overly fond of Universal but I’m trying to learn to love them. lol Not working with us on tickets is making it difficult though- hopefully she just talked to the wrong person or in the frenzy of an upcoming storm? Bad inaccurate info was given,

Good luck. It’s ridiculous if they won’t refund or exchange tickets for days when their park was closed. How were you even supposed to use them for gosh sake?

edit: posed before I read your update. Hopefully UT will change the dates for you.

Last edited:
For those watching weather reports about flooding and other damage in the area. Please remember that "Orlando" (the city) is 10 miles from WDW. Also, Orange County" is huge and extends from the WDW area to within 20 miles of the East Coast. Weather conditions at WDW may be very different that what you are seeing on the TV.
This is all I could find of an official nature--no time hack on it, just the date. (And, I am sure this is a situation where there are rapidly changing conditions...)

https://www.orlando.gov/News/Press-...leases/City-of-Orlando-Hurricane-Ian-Update-4

City of Orlando Hurricane Ian – Update #4

City Urges Residents to Stay Off Roadways

September 29, 2022– ORLANDO, FL – The City of Orlando would like to share some important information on Hurricane Ian.

Currently, the city is receiving multiple reports of flooded roadways. We are urging residents to continuing shelter in place and stay off the roadways. There are reports of flash flooding at multiple locations, including the following:
  • Primrose Drive and Colonial Drive
  • Semoran Boulevard near Lake Underhill Road
  • Semoran Boulevard and Hoffner Avenue
  • South Orange Blossom Trail
  • Orange Avenue and Silver Court
  • Richmond Heights
  • Woodgate Boulevard

We are also at the Boardwalk. We have a pool view 1 bedroom 3rd floor. The carpet in the bedroom is wet right by the door and the wood floor in the living room had a lot of water by the door. They left carts in the hallway with extra towels/bedding so I grabbed some towels and cleaned up. The pool looks perfectly fine except for one awning by the pool bar may have damage.also a path near the pool is flooded. We are going to walk around the lobby while my husband takes a work call so I’ll check things out.
We are in a one bedroom on the 4th floor with a similar view. We had no water come in by the balcony doors.

My friends live in Reunion, about a 15 minute drive just south of WDW. They had a lot of flooding last night.

I’m very curious to hear about how Joe’s ditches fared during the storm (General Joe Potter, that is, who designed the drainage systems when WDW was constructed). So far, sounds like it might have turned out pretty well.
I think they've withstood far worse. I've never heard of bad flooding/overflowing at Disney. Torrential downpours are not that uncommon either whether a hurricane is blowing through or not.

Operational update for Orlando International Airport - all approach roads flooded

Orlando International Airport has provided a status update on its plans to reopen following Hurricane Ian.

Since commercial operations at the Orlando International Airport ceased at 10:30 a.m. yesterday, an emergency plan was put in place in order to secure the facility.
There are no scheduled flights today at MCO.
All roads leading into Orlando International Airport are closed due to flooding at this time. This includes all major and secondary arteries including Jeff Fuqua Blvd and Heintzelman Blvd, and Bear Rd and Cargo Rd. Our staff will conduct a damage assessment of the entire facility complex to ensure it's safe to resume operations.
Commercial operations are expected to resume sometime Friday, 09/30/22, pending on damage assessment. Whenever a specific time is decided, we'll share it on our social media channels and website.
Travelers are advised to contact their airlines directly for information about their specific flights.

The carpet in the bedroom is wet right by the door and the wood floor in the living room had a lot of water by the door.
Are you talking about the door to the room from the corridor? Or the sliding doors to the balcony?

Even people currently there need to remember that conditions can be very different just a little bit away. Not hurricane related, but similar here in WNY in the winter. We have had blizzard conditions with feet of snow & just 1/2 mile away, absolutely nothing, not a single snow flake. Things can be wildly different just outside your view in all weather situations.

They wouldn’t. Either place could have done something - UT given us a full credit, allowed us to repurchase with a new effective date. They wouldn’t have lost a dime. Universal could give us credit for unused days. I’m grateful that Disney has a more generous policy.
UT would lose money though. They would just be giving you a free ticket that they already paid for. Focus your anger on Uni.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter