Hurricane Idalia - WDW Resorts Related Updates, Planning & Discussion

We are here and so torn about what to do. Supposed to leave Thursday. We drive, so we are debating on whether to leave tomorrow morning and beat the storm or ride it out and extend our stay. For anyone else here now, what are you doing?

Thanks for this thread @GADisneyDad14 🙂
We were due to fly home Wednesday evening. We made the call today to extend and fly home on Thursday afternoon. It's really a tad too early to make that call but 2 things drove us to do so, #1, they can extend us in the room we are in and #2, I was worried waiting longer could reduce the choices we have for return flights. We have to be home Saturday morning. We aren't really worried about weather here in Orlando but we have to fly to Charlotte on the way to Tennessee and that means flying over/through the storm. We are hoping that by Thursday it's out of our flight paths

What’s everyone’s experience navigating Pop Century during these storms? Of course my split stay with AKL starts Thursday. If Idalia stays the course predicted right now I’m not overly worried, but if there’s a shift, how do resorts where you have to walk outside to get food and drink operate?
Will we be required to stay in rooms? Will they limit food court hours?

What’s everyone’s experience navigating Pop Century during these storms? Of course my split stay with AKL starts Thursday. If Idalia stays the course predicted right now I’m not overly worried, but if there’s a shift, how do resorts where you have to walk outside to get food and drink operate?
If the storm changes track and comes over Orlando, you will be asked to stay in your room. Make sure you have food and drinks on hand, as the food court will not be operating. They will let you know when the shutdown will occur so you can prepare. Sometimes they sell boxed meals you can take back to your room to eat during the time you have to stay in your room.

The good thing is that Idalia appears to be a fast moving storm, and so far the track does not look like it will impact WDW directly. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Often FW, the Poly Bungalows, and WL Cabins are the first closures announced when Disney deems the storm strong enough. If it’s been a bad storm, FW can take awhile to reopen (like several days if not longer), so much potential there for downed trees/limbs and cleanup can take a long time. I can’t remember off the top of my head how long it was closed after Ian but I recall it being awhile (granted that storm was more of a direct hit compared to the current forecast here). TBD if we’ll get to that point with this storm, but I hope your weekend trip works out for you!
My understanding from a CM yesterday, Treehouses at Saratoga as well - they literally sit amongst trees.

Idalia is now a Category 1 Hurricane with winds above 75 miles per hour as of 7 AM Tuesday Update.

Data from a NOAA Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate that maximum sustained winds have increased to near 80 mph with higher gusts. Rapid intensification is likely through landfall, and Idalia is forecast to become an extremely dangerous major hurricane before making landfall on Wednesday.

Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 15 miles from the center and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 160 miles.

Dave

Predicted Orange and Osceola county forecasts are saying winds 20 to 30 mph, gusts possible to 45 Mph, 4am to 8pm Wednesday. With 1 to 3 inches of rain. I would expect the parks to have limited hours, or possibly be closed on Wednesday.
Let's hope the predictions are accurate, and there is no damage sustained in the area.

Last edited:

9AM WDW Update: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/weather-updates/
  • For Guests staying at Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground: As we continue to monitor the weather, we are asking that all Fort Wilderness Guests remove and stow all outside items, including tents and décor, and take in camper awnings by 6 PM on Tuesday, August 29. If you’d like to depart early or discuss alternate options for your vacation, please contact us at (407) 939-2744.

Of course my split stay with AKL starts Thursday.
Oh man, of course! But on the bright side you have that to look forward to after the storm. Hopefully Idalia will be on its way out or already gone.

Last year Hurricane Ian went across Florida on a Wednesday evening and into Thursday, the eye passing close to WDW around 4 AM on Thursday. We were staying at WL, and were supposed to switch rooms that day. Disney was not allowing any check ins or room switches on Thursday, so we stayed another night in our room, and switched on Friday. So, if the hurricane is bad, they will lock it down and keep everyone safely in place. We were informed that if we left the resort, we would not be let back in. Also during the height of the storm, we were asked to stay in our rooms and not be out in the hallways unless it was an emergency. Disney was very clear with communication, and was sending text messages and push notifications through the MDE app.

Hoping for all there or headed there that Idalia continues to track North of Orlando, as you will not get the SW winds coming back down from the Atlantic like we did with Ian.

Some additions to the WDW weather page as of 11am ET: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/weather-updates/

• For Guests staying at Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground: As we continue to monitor the weather, we are asking that all Fort Wilderness Guests remove and stow all outside items, including décor, and take in camper awnings by 6 PM on Tuesday, August 29. If you’d like to depart early or discuss alternate options for your vacation, please contact us at (407) 939-2744.
  • Travel Flexibility: At this time, change and cancellation fees imposed by Disney will be waived for check-in dates of August 28, 2023 through September 4, 2023. Guests currently staying at our Disney Resort hotels whose travel plans have been impacted by the storm may receive a discounted rate to extend their stay through the evening of August 31, if needed, by visiting the front desk.
  • Evacuees & First Responders Support: Florida residents evacuating from the storm and first responders assisting in storm-related recovery efforts may also receive 50% off Disney Resort hotel stays on the evenings of Aug. 29-31, 2023. For evacuees, please call 407-W-DISNEY for details. For first responders, please call 407-828-3200(Option 3). This applies to new bookings only and is based on availability.
  • Storm Recovery: Walt Disney World is prepared to once again serve as a staging area for storm-related recovery efforts for the state of Florida.

Some additions to the WDW weather page as of 11am ET: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/weather-updates/

• For Guests staying at Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground: As we continue to monitor the weather, we are asking that all Fort Wilderness Guests remove and stow all outside items, including décor, and take in camper awnings by 6 PM on Tuesday, August 29. If you’d like to depart early or discuss alternate options for your vacation, please contact us at (407) 939-2744.
  • Travel Flexibility: At this time, change and cancellation fees imposed by Disney will be waived for check-in dates of August 28, 2023 through September 4, 2023. Guests currently staying at our Disney Resort hotels whose travel plans have been impacted by the storm may receive a discounted rate to extend their stay through the evening of August 31, if needed, by visiting the front desk.
  • Evacuees & First Responders Support: Florida residents evacuating from the storm and first responders assisting in storm-related recovery efforts may also receive 50% off Disney Resort hotel stays on the evenings of Aug. 29-31, 2023. For evacuees, please call 407-W-DISNEY for details. For first responders, please call 407-828-3200(Option 3). This applies to new bookings only and is based on availability.
  • Storm Recovery: Walt Disney World is prepared to once again serve as a staging area for storm-related recovery efforts for the state of Florida.
EXCELLENT to see them doing right by Evacuees and First Responders- unlike under Cheapek where they locked everyone out of booking and then played some nasty pricing games on those stuck at WDW.

I was at Pop Century for Charley which went right over us. They told everyone to stay inside and they closed the food court but it reopened it after the storm went through. It was scary because we were directly hit and the storm still had hurricane winds. Pop was completely fine.

We are at WL right now and were scheduled to fly home early tomorrow (Wednesday). We decided to stay an extra night - they could accommodate that - and after American waived change fees, we moved our flight to early Thursday. It just seemed the sensible course to take and fortunately it has worked out okay so far. Stay safe, everyone!

We are at WL right now and were scheduled to fly home early tomorrow (Wednesday). We decided to stay an extra night - they could accommodate that - and after American waived change fees, we moved our flight to early Thursday. It just seemed the sensible course to take and fortunately it has worked out okay so far. Stay safe, everyone!
We were due to fly home Wednesday evening. We made the call today to extend and fly home on Thursday afternoon. It's really a tad too early to make that call but 2 things drove us to do so, #1, they can extend us in the room we are in and #2, I was worried waiting longer could reduce the choices we have for return flights. We have to be home Saturday morning. We aren't really worried about weather here in Orlando but we have to fly to Charlotte on the way to Tennessee and that means flying over/through the storm. We are hoping that by Thursday it's out of our flight paths
We also decided to stay, and added on a day to leave Friday now, just in case. If Thursday looks ok, we might still head out. It will be a last minute decision. Stay safe!

I’m hoping the chances of losing power at Pop is minimal. But how long is my cable going to be out? Oh, it’s back on!! How common is it for the power or cable to go out at Pop?
Yes of course many people have larger concerns about their homes and lives. I know this sounds selfish. Also just trying to see if I need to hit the guest shop for a deck of cards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter