Hurricane Irma - Surprised where the Fantasy and Dream Are!!!

scrappinginontario

IMG_1210.jpg IMG_1209.PNG I don't claim to know much about ships but will admit to being surprised that at almost 1am Monday morning while Irma is still blasting much of Florida, that the Fantasy and Dream are relatively close to Miami and Key West!! I would have thought they'd be far.0, far away from the storm. Shows how much this novice still has to learn!

I've heard much if the crew from these ships are being housed at Disney Resorts. Praying everyone is safe.

They are plenty far away on the map. The seas could be a little rough. Yet the fuel required to go x amount costs money.

Once the port opens. They will want to get back to operations as soon as possible, they are loosing money minute by minute with only two ships operating now.

Marine Traffic website hasn't been updated in awhile. It still shows the hurricane down by Key West, when I look. I expect whomever is responsible for that site evacuated or at least lost power and can't update.

Marine Tracker is technically showing the Dream and Fantasy, just under Passenger Vessel

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 8.30.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 8.30.54 AM.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 8.32.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 8.32.38 AM.png
    48.3 KB · Views: 35

Thanks everyone! Makes a lot more sense now.

I was reading on one of these threads that people saw many cruise crew members checking in at Pop last Thursday so not sure how many crew are on board and how many are hunkering down at the resorts.

Wondering if the Fantasy might go to only a Western Caribbean itinerary for a while when it resumes and I'd be shocked if the Caribbean ports of Tortola and St. Thomas will be prepared to accept guests for a while. They seemed to get hit pretty hard. Also, not sure what the current course of Jose is.

Praying for all involved!

Thanks everyone! Makes a lot more sense now.

I was reading on one of these threads that people saw many cruise crew members checking in at Pop last Thursday so not sure how many crew are on board and how many are hunkering down at the resorts.

Wondering if the Fantasy might go to only a Western Caribbean itinerary for a while when it resumes and I'd be shocked if the Caribbean ports of Tortola and St. Thomas will be prepared to accept guests for a while. They seemed to get hit pretty hard. Also, not sure what the current course of Jose is.

Praying for all involved!

As far as I know, all crew are onboard, granted I'm not in communication with all departments but the ones I am are 'non-essential': Youth staff, cruise staff, cast - they're all there, apart from ones that debarked and finished contracts but they all got flights out. I know a couple of CM that had to finish vacation early to get onboard due to the ships cutting cruises short....

But Pop is the resort used for all new CMs going out of florida, they stay there a few days and do traditions before embarking on a ship for the first time, wouldn't surprise me if they kept them there.

As far as I know, all crew are onboard, granted I'm not in communication with all departments but the ones I am are 'non-essential': Youth staff, cruise staff, cast - they're all there, apart from ones that debarked and finished contracts but they all got flights out. I know a couple of CM that had to finish vacation early to get onboard due to the ships cutting cruises short....

But Pop is the resort used for all new CMs going out of florida, they stay there a few days and do traditions before embarking on a ship for the first time, wouldn't surprise me if they kept them there.

Any Fantasy new hires in the area were embarked on Thursday.

Others on the way they were working to delay their flying into the area.

The Dream is currently way North of the Fantasy...possibly heading to CC to drop off CMs??

Last edited:
Fantasy is awfully close to Cuba, and the Dream has been taking it somewhat leisurely but seems to be heading towards Castaway Cay

Disappointing that the Dream and Fantasy are hiding out while Royal Caribbean, Norwegian and Carnival are all using ships for humanitarian aid to victims of hurricane.

Disappointing that the Dream and Fantasy are hiding out while Royal Caribbean, Norwegian and Carnival are all using ships for humanitarian aid to victims of hurricane.

To be fair, DCL doesn't have nearly the number of ships the other lines have, or at least the ones you mention providing aid. We could play that same game in comparing how much $$$ the Disney Corporation provides for humanitarian relief compared to those other corporations too, but is that really fruitful?

To repeat, RCCL, NCL and Carnival are such great humanitarians that they have to put out a press release and let everyone know about it... oh and if that increases their profits with the free advertising, then that's just a side effect? They have nothing better to do with their ships right now and they are burning fuel, which can now be written off, not as a loss, but a tax deduction and they get all this free advertising. Not saying they shouldn't be doing it and not saying it isn't laudable that they're doing it, but don't judge DCL, with their much smaller fleet, for not doing the same things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter