Hurricane Irma?

Hi All. We are due to fly out from Manchester, UK to MCO arriving at 2.30pm Saturday. I know no one can answer these questions with any degree of certainty and I wouldn't normally ask but we are getting married in FL on the following Thursday and I'm starting to panic now.
Is the general consensus that we will be getting in just before the storm hits and should be okay in regards to flights?
The notary is meant to be coming to the beach club on Monday to sign off the wedding license, is it safe to assume this probably won't happen now?
On all current models, should the weather have passed by Thursday for our wedding?

A few of the recent comments here about not going if you were paid have me really nervous, but i would rather deal with the reality of the situation than pretend its not happening. The planned wedding just adds another layer of complexity in regards to cancelling or changing plans.

It's really too soon to tell, BUT...

Yes, as current predictions go, I don't think any model has anything really impacting this area on Saturday. Your flights in should be fine. As to what happens Sunday and Monday, that is all still up in the air. Same with predictions for the end of the week; if the storm doesn't really hit this area, things should be fine. If it comes right through Central Florida as a Cat 5 hurricane, there's really no telling how much damage could be done and how long it would take to get everything back to normal. For now, I would just suggest keeping an eye on the weather and waiting to see what the projections are in the next 24-48 hours.

Current view at my local gas station. Get your gas filled up while you can. Gas prices will likely just continue to rise

This is why we went to propane for generators...We have a bunch of battery and small time solar chargers.
All my camping gear goes to good use this time of year. Do Vienna Sausages have an expiry date?

Its amazing to me all the people who are moving their flights to actually make it in before it hits. My flight is on Friday and even with that I am stressing that I will not have enough time / have sufficient waivers in place to make a decision if this thing tracks into FL. We are talking a Category 5 storm. I've been in Orlando area for Cat 2 and I've seen that knock solid brick walls over. You should not be racing to get into FL if you have a later flight, you should sit tight and watch the forecast before deciding. With any luck, the forecast changes or flight waivers are issued!

It's one thing if you live somewhere already. It's another thing if you are going into a region that is forecast to get a hurricane. That is optional. Especially when WDW has a hurricane policy and you can reschedule.

Disney may have a liberal hurricane policy but simply rescheduling dates isn't easy or even possible for everyone. If I don't go, I don't get to go. It's just a trip. I'll be fine. Rescheduling however is not an option for me.

I've got 11 people flying to WDW from 5 different states on 9/15...
Looks like this is going to be dissipating by then, wherever it ends up hitting... Still ultra nervous and keeping a close eye on the models.

First time organizing a trip in prime hurricane season; our hand was kind of forced though as it was the best month for my west coast CM friend with his block-out dates/work schedule.

You might consider bringing your water with you. If a cat. 5 hits anywhere in Fl there will possibly be no deliveries anywhere! This is a huge storm and being on the road, with evacuations going on, will be a awful. IMHO...if you don't have to travel to FL this weekend, stay put.
This. I live 130 miles from the TX coast, in an area that got only a little wind and rain with zero flooding. Store shelves were bare for a couple days before Harvey hit; and many stores, restaurants, and other businesses were shuttered. Even now, it's difficult to find gas (and when there is a station with gas available, the lines are insane). If you're going to FL, be prepared. Take supplies with you.

Its amazing to me all the people who are moving their flights to actually make it in before it hits. My flight is on Friday and even with that I am stressing that I will not have enough time / have sufficient waivers in place to make a decision if this thing tracks into FL. We are talking a Category 5 storm. I've been in Orlando area for Cat 2 and I've seen that knock solid brick walls over. You should not be racing to get into FL if you have a later flight, you should sit tight and watch the forecast before deciding. With any luck, the forecast changes or flight waivers are issued!

Of course you are right, I think it's just extremely difficult for people (like me) to abandon something they have spent months planning and 3 years of saving money for because of something I don't really understand, as we do not experience these things in England.
If it indeed goes over WDW and without being too sensational, could a Cat 5 pretty much destroy a park?

Has anyone heard any news in terms of Night of Joy this weekend? Will Disney refund those tickets since they are apparently now allowing people to cancel reservations under the hurricane policy?

Of course you are right, I think it's just extremely difficult for people (like me) to abandon something they have spent months planning and 3 years of saving money for because of something I don't really understand, as we do not experience these things in England.
If it indeed goes over WDW and without being too sensational, could a Cat 5 pretty much destroy a park?

Storms usually weaken as they make landfall. Orlando should not take a cat 5 hit.

Question: Just went to Moana Mercantile and there was plenty of food like bread, cheese, etc. Are folks going to be stocking up on food from the resorts? Should I go ahead and grab a loaf and some peanut butter and a few other things? I'd rather not, but I'd also rather not stand in line for a $10 sandwich box if this thing swings our way.

Yes, I would. This is Moana Mercantile last year.

image.jpeg

Another question: just trying to plan since it looks like it could possibly really come close. Should we park our van at Disney Springs parking garage if it looks like it's headed close?

That's what I did last year. CBR's parking lot is surrounded by trees. I wasn't taking that chance. Afterwards there wasn't any real damage but I'm glad I did it anyways

In Tallahassee the sams club is now out of water. Was there yesterday and got mine and it was fully stocked so to those that can bring your supplies with you

Southwest will already let me move my flights for no additional charge, but I think I'm going to wait until Thursday to make the call on our flight home. We're due to fly out Monday at 5:20pm. I just wonder whether to move it to Tuesday or be extra safe and move it Wednesday.

I also just put in a garden grocer order for some lunchables, bread, pb&j, chips, cokes, and caprisuns. I think with the case of water and snacks we already have packed, that should get us through a lockdown situation if it comes to that. I do NOT want to wait in crazy lines for boxed meals. Just need to pick up some paper plates, napkins, and plastic knives at the DG this afternoon, and I think we're good to go.

Because we are driving I am still "watching and waiting" I am giving it till Thursday night / Friday morning (we are due to arrive Sat). I'm not sure what we will do if we have to reschedule. I booked free dining and it was a huge factor in our being able to afford the trip. I paid completely with Disney Gift cards so we have to go at some point but it could mean NEXT year :(

I never said it was nothing to scoff at. I said that no one knows what it will do and that is fact. Anything else is not. It may still barely graze FL like Matthew did. No one knows today what it will do.
Hurricanes are huge weather systems. From all gathered data the best central Florida can hope for at this point is a wet, sloppy mess and some unkown effect on park schedules -even if Irma turns sharply north and misses the FL coast. The meteorologists now are not just guessing in the dark. They have studied other weather factors and current systems, have live data from within the storm, and consulted lots of historical parallels to inform their insights. The science on this thing is real.

Having said that, I just hate it for everyone weighing whether to go on with trips this week. I've been at that point of decision before and it is no fun whatsoever when your long-planned vacation is at stake. In fact, as I recall it was a special kind of heartache. I'm hoping for safe and happy outcomes for everyone.

I know that I'm asking a question that most are here seeking the same answer for, but what is the best course of action here? My family is planning on flying into SFB on the 7th and will drive to Disney that evening. We are scheduled to stay until the 14th, so our trip falls right in the middle of Irma hitting, if it hits. Being a couple days out from our trip, and still a ton of uncertainty around what will happen with Irma, what is the best advice for those that travel to Disney often or live in the Orlando area? I think it's too early to make a decision today, but I want to have a solid plan in place should we need to make other arrangements.

I would not head that way now. My experience with hurricanes - I was born in New Orleans and grew up in Chalmette. I currently live in Houston. Our house flooded in Betsy and the entire parish that I grew up in flooded in Katrina. I am currently living in the aftermath of Harvey.

Thinking that pixie dust will make it okay is ridiculous. Thinking that because you have planned this for 2 years makes it okay is ridiculous.

Also - I am speaking for the residents of Florida now - they don't need any more people around right now. If you are thinking that you will be fine in the hotel - think about the hotel workers who would rather be with their families and taking care of things in their homes instead of making sure that the Mickey waffles are still coming. I would hate to think that some resident had to wait for a first responder because they were over at the park pulling people out of The Poly who could have chosen to have not been there. Even if Orlando is spared, cities send people to the areas that have been hit. Don't go.

It's a vacation. Do it some other time. If your biggest complaint is that you cancelled the trip and Orlando dodged the hit - then you are fortunate.

Okay - off of my soapbox and back to helping out all of the people who are currently living in my house while theirs are under water.

It's extremely unlikely that a storm would do destructive damage to one of the parks. Hurricanes dissipate quickly over land as they lose their "fuel" which is warm water. However I can't say it could never happen. I live 150 miles inland in North Carolina, where we had a highly destructive Cat 3 storm come right through my home in the 1980's. We were without power for over a month and the damage to properties in my town was extreme. Still, that was a highly extraordinary storm.

I think a lot of this depends on how it tracks. If it goes right up through FL, then yeah, it will be somewhat weakened a bit before it hits Orlando (still very dangerous). I haven't looked at all the models but if it does into the gulf then comes back at Orlando that would be worse. Also if the right side of the storm is on land, the potential for tornadoes is much higher. I know how much planning and saving it takes for a good Disney Trip and trust me, I know how much it sucks being stuck in limbo, but waiting for more information is the best course of action if you can afford it. I think its a lot worse for people who won't have waiver options with flights and have to make a difficult decision to forfeit a lot of money for fees to change/cancel flights or risk traveling into a disaster zone.
We are hoping the forecast is more certain by tomorrow or Thursday before we make any decisions. We would certainly be out a lot of money if we had to change the reservation as we booked through the enchanted escape offer and there likely is no availability for anything in the near future. Its going to be a bitter pill to swallow as I have put many hours of reservation and FP+ hunting into this trip!

As far as what you can expect during/after a hurricane in Orlando. I have been through two when I was attending school in Winter Park. They blew by pretty quickly with a lot of wind/water but once it passed the weather was nice. However, store shelves were cleared before the storm and took awhile to restock. That combined with the loss of power makes it very miserable for awhile afterwards. Not particularly the relaxing environment you want.

Called Disney and Hurricane Policy is in effect, they are not playing around with this storm. We are moving our trip into October or November as it is just not worth it to me to spend all this money and deal with rain and sitting in hotel with a storm of that magnitude.

I reached out to them this morning as well but they said all operations are running normal?

I just spoke them right after posting this and that is what the CM told me.

Legit in effect? We were scheduled to arrive on resort 7th-12th and need to make a decision by noon today! If policy is in place, I will absolutely cancel and reschedule - not worth the risk!

This is what the CM on the phone at 6:30 this morning told me.

I'm really curious why they are telling you its in effect? My agent called this morning and they arent letting anyone change yet without a fee, I called after I read all these and they told me the same thing, no hurricane warning in effect yet so they cant let you change without the fee. . . The hurricane policy is not in effect is what we've been told.
We're set to arrive at Fort Wilderness sunday with a camper. I really hope they either put the policy in effect soon or the storm passes because a camper is not where I want to be in a hurricane.

Just spent over an hour on hold to speak to a CM who had no clue about the policy and said I can't do anything about it until they announce a warning. Not sure who the person talked to who said WDW was already allowing people to change as this is not the case. Have to call southwest next.

Edit: not the case according to the person I spoke to, didn't mean to sound snarky if I did. Just working and scatterbrained and stressed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter