Hurricane Irma?

Oh.... and I am getting my dog a pet bunny for Christmas (yes, my dog - he loves little animals, he is 7lbs, and has no friends...) and I have decided I will name her Irma if she's a girl. :lmao: Something to look forward to for when we come back.

I've been following this thread and feel so bad for those of you who had to go through the hassle of changing/canceling your plans. I would have done the same because it is so much more important to be safe. Hopefully those who are there during this will be okay. I've been following Jose because we arrive on 9/21 but it looks like that one won't be much of an issue. I hope all of you in this monsters path will be safe and that by some miracle, it ends up being not as bad as it looks.

Hope DVC people still planning to check in this week don't have local grocery orders. Florida stores are being stripped bare as we speak:

img_1270.jpg

Capture_1504647951510_10645893_ver1.0.JPG

And GAS is a problem. The few gas stations that have gas have lines about 45 cars deep for one or two remaining pumps. I filled up yesterday but stopped back by the gas station last night to top off at one I knew had gas. Some people are having a hard time finding gas to get to work this week. At my daughter's cheer practice last night, some mentioned they may not be able to come to practice on Thursday because they live too far away and with the gas shortage don't think they will be able to make it! My husband commutes an hour each way to the military base and is hoping he can fill up on base before he leaves today (he filled up yesterday).

I didn't care about folks coming to Disney before. It was like whatever, if they want to sit through a storm, but now that supplies are seriously low where locals can not find water, food, and gas, I really hope many reconsider. The roads are bad as folks down South are evacuating. Schools here are starting to close, some today, some tomorrow, which will add to the number of people on the road leaving town. But many of those have purchased supplies locally to take with them. Others have been sure to gas up their boats and jet skis as well, so everyone is filling up everything even if they have no plans to use them.

If I buy groceries it would be vegan cream cheese, vegan cheese, etc etc. No one wants that stuff. One of the few perks of having a different diet, I guess? I have seen many photos of shelves stripped bare except for all the specialty foods. It's really not that bad so if you missed out on groceries you should give it a try!

I couldn't find gas last night without 2 hour waits and places being out of regular. As a result, I had to get up at 4:30am to go get some, and I only knew to do that because I have a friend who manages a station near me and he told me when they were expecting a refuel truck. I was trying to stretch what's left in my tank until payday, but that stopped being an option with this mess.

I keep 3 cases of water in my pantry at all times during hurricane season, so I didn't have to fight for that. I also have canned tuna, chicken, and salmon in my emergency box, which is good because that stuff was long gone too.

In lieu of standard bread (which I don't usually have in my house) I got flour tortillas, whole wheat hot dog buns, and Cinnamon Swirl Raisin Bread. I figure I can put canned meat on either of the first two just as good as sandwich bread! I grabbed one of the last jars of creamy peanut butter - I'm glad everyone still knows chunky peanut butter sucks ;) - and some Nutella because why not. I also got some individual size shelf-stable juice, cranberry and pineapple-orange, to use as mixers for vodka and rum! Priorities, you know.

Lesson learned: Before the next one, I'm buying some gas cans!

As much as I don't want to, I've decided that we will need to cancel or change our reservation. Even if Irma swings east and Orlando isn't hit, the traffic alone will most likely make it impossible to navigate (we were driving down). To top that off, I'm rather ill (stupid sinus cold) and probably would be useless in any sort of emergency situation. Plus, I just can't bring myself to drive into a category 5 hurricane when locals are evacuating.
Unless she miraculously dissipates, I'm just waiting for Disney to issue the warning at this point.

Yes, a low probability of an eastward movement and a relatively high probability of a northward movement into and through Florida. Hence my use (which I don't mean to aggravate people with) of "track shopping." Or put another way, choosing one of the "Eastern outliers' on the spaghetti maps and waving it to all as a sign of hope. Heck, if I was facing a trip cancellation/rebooking nightmare I'd want to be hopeful too and would probably be doing exactly the same thing.
With the current models, Central Florida should still get some rain and decent wind speed, but won't take the brunt of the force.

But I'm personally waiting until Friday before making any decisions, as models can still change by then. It's just significant that all models shifted east for their 00z readings today and the two most reliable models are near identical.

Personally if the current model holds, I'd still go, but if it looks like Orlando is going to get hit hard when Friday's models roll out I'd avoid at all costs

I'm trying to stay positive and wait it out but I'm nervous that even if Orlando does end up with just some rain and gusty winds from it going up the coast that MCO will close out of caution on Sunday regardless before I can get down there. Ugh I know more about hurricane than I ever could have wanted to.

Last edited:

I understand the desire to continue with vacation plans. However, if you go to Disney now then you are going to pay thousands for a vacation that is far less magical than the same vacation would be in the next few weeks. I wish only the best for those who decide to go ahead and go.....but it's not going to be the trip that you've been dreaming of. Everything is harder in the rain. I've been to Disney in beautiful weather and I've visited in pouring down rain. Better weather equals a better trip....at least that has been my experience.

As someone who is here at WDW right now and very likely cutting our vacation short, if you can move your whole trip penalty-free to another time, do it. I know ADRs and FP make that challenging but in the big picture, I think you'll be happier than having a hurricane trip. We are thankful for the 2.5 days we have had here and that we were able to come at all, but still sad we will miss the special things we had planned for the rest of our trip (and all the unplanned "special" things that always come up too.)

Guests are already flying home early (loads of them on the monorail last night after Park close said they booked flights for today/tomorrow/Friday instead of the weekend.

We are supposed to fly home Sunday at 8pm. We are having loads of fun but also taking all the proper precautions so we are ready for all scenarios. We've rented a car and car seats, stocked up on food, etc.

We're waiting until the path is definite before we make our final call on when we'll head home.

Stay safe everyone!

What will be required of Disney resort guests if an evacuation order is given for Orlando, and how likely is that to come? I'm here now and scheduled to fly home out of Sanford midday Monday. Looking for advice.

What will be required of Disney resort guests if an evacuation order is given for Orlando, and how likely is that to come? I'm here now and scheduled to fly home out of Sanford midday Monday. Looking for advice.

Also, wondering this? If you do not have a car, would they send in buses?

As someone who is here at WDW right now and very likely cutting our vacation short, if you can move your whole trip penalty-free to another time, do it. I know ADRs and FP make that challenging but in the big picture, I think you'll be happier than having a hurricane trip. We are thankful for the 2.5 days we have had here and that we were able to come at all, but still sad we will miss the special things we had planned for the rest of our trip (and all the unplanned "special" things that always come up too.)

Guests are already flying home early (loads of them on the monorail last night after Park close said they booked flights for today/tomorrow/Friday instead of the weekend.

We are supposed to fly home Sunday at 8pm. We are having loads of fun but also taking all the proper precautions so we are ready for all scenarios. We've rented a car and car seats, stocked up on food, etc.

We're waiting until the path is definite before we make our final call on when we'll head home.

Stay safe everyone!

Luckily they could find flights. Most flights out of Tampa are sold out. I looked yesterday after hearing flights were sold out. All flights to where were would go were sold out on Friday, three left for Saturday. I agree, people are going to have a miserable "vacation" by insisting on coming. But it is the CM that I feel bad for, having to be stuck in the hotel and try to put on a happy face when they would rather be home with their families. Many of the employees are stuck there pulling extremely long shifts.

The projected steering current changes aren't going to start until Saturday, not tomorrow. Until then, Irma will continue to be pushed north/northwest (and that process will give us all a chilling preview of what it can do as it passes by leeward islands). Come the weekend, the trough moving it will begin to be degraded by a system coming in from the South. That will cause Irma to start heading more northerly just about the time she is right below the keys.

Which is why there is a mandatory evacuation starting in that area tomorrow.

.... It's movement is going to update prior to Saturday. In my area we're projected to start feeling tropical force winds Saturday. So by then, we should know if it's going to make a hard right

There's a mandatory evacuation in the keys yesterday.

Actually after getting up and checking, it's already started to make a right turn

Also, wondering this? If you do not have a car, would they send in buses?

Where would they evacuate thousands to? Just like with Houston, it would be more dangerous to have cars and busses on the road when the storm hits.

so I know why the music was off last night! I heard about 10 seconds of on hold music and for the last 10 minutes it has been a very grating constant high pitched ringing sound..... I couldn't sleep I was so worried about getting things moved around this morning.... I really hope I have better luck with CM I get this morning! I know this is a first world problem over a luxury item (a vacation) .... but it still has me anxious.

So we are still trying to figure if we are going to cancel we leave Friday until next Thursday I heard with Mathew they closed the park for 2 days then opened as normal. That was a cat 1 I don't know how much damage this will make.WDW says that they make the building to hold in a hurrican.but who knows. I would not wait to buy water there I would pick it up now along with some snacks in case you have to say in your hotel. They said that water is sold out. We just went through Harvey and I can promise it was all would out. Be safe and just be prepared
Haven't been able to find this answer in the wdw hurricane info....my plane leaves at 8 am...I will be there til the 13th. If the parks close for a day or 2, will I be given tickets for the missed days to use at a later date? Also I have a dessert party booked for the 11th...I know we don't get a refund if the fireworks are cancelled but I assune we would if the entire party is cancelled right? Anything else I need to be aware of? Staying at Pop, packed some extra clothes, food to avoid the box meals and flashlights. I will make sure to get some water ASAP when we get there.

The only place on Disney property they evacuate is the campgrounds. They move them into the resorts. Most people who live near the coasts come to Disney to ride it out. Disney World is one of the safest place you can be during a hurricane.

I got through with no wait at exactly 7 am, was able to cancel our 9/10-9/16 reservation, $200 penalty waived. Oh well, that's that. :(

I really hope this turns out well for those who choose to travel into the hurricane. I live about 300 miles inland from where Katrina made landfall. Keep in mind this is stronger than Katrina. There were tornados, trees down, no electricity or phone service for a week. There was no gas within 200 miles and the stations didn't have electricity to pump the gas. Again it took a week to recover, it was no vacation. Do not expect anyone to be there to care for you, be prepared to feed and care for yourself for a few days. I hope for all of Florida this thing turns but it's a gamble.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter