Hurricane Irma?

It is absolutely still there. Just looked and it is on the scrolling banner under the picture of the airport. Many posters also said they are receiving emails about flights being cancelled that were scheduled for Sat or Sun.

EDITED: No sooner did I say that when it changed to them monitoring the situation lol.

It seems like the website notice may have been put up prematurely/by mistake? Yesterday evening the MCO twitter feed said the information was unconfirmed.

I feel for everyone dealing with the uncertainty right now. Conflicting information really doesn't help. It was certainly frustrating last year when we were at Disney during Matthew.

I'm sure that depends on the weather, but keep in mind they don't want the aircraft to stay in Orlando so they will try to get y'all out of there.
Yep, they are stopping all scheduled flights after 5. That gives them time to clear the board of anything running late.

So we are here now, AKL Kidani, have been watching very closely. Thought we were okay since we are scheduled to leave this Saturday at 5:20 via Frontier. I haven't seen/heard of the MCO closure except on this thread. Where can I get more information?? Do you think they might move our flight up or just cancel entirely? Now I am so worried and don't know what to do...

As a meteorologist and a Disney nut, this is tough to watch. I hate all of the decisions you all are having to make. If it were me, I would reschedule. I know that's easier said than done for some and I think the resorts are safe. However, it could be a major mess with lots of damage afterward with massive power outages. It could also be a scary experience if the eye goes over or is just to the east, especially for those that have never been a hurricane. Could it still go far enough east where this doesn't happen? Sure, but I'm becoming more concerned.

I am not trying to scare anybody, but I do think it's prudent to think of the possible impacts. I'm certainly not judging anybody's decision. You all have my prayers and best thoughts!

It is absolutely still there. Just looked and it is on the scrolling banner under the picture of the airport. Many posters also said they are receiving emails about flights being cancelled that were scheduled for Sat or Sun.

EDITED: No sooner did I say that when it changed to them monitoring the situation lol. It might have been because I visited the page last night and then it reloaded after I posted. I would still expect them to close, just perhaps not as early as 5pm Friday. For Matthew they closed 8pm Thurs and the worst of it blew through in the wee hours of the morning on Friday.

Do you mean not as early as 5 PM Saturday?

NHC now has tropical storm winds not hitting Orlando until Sunday morning. I wonder if MCO saw that had decided to try to keep the place open a little longer.

It seems like the website notice may have been put up prematurely/by mistake? Yesterday evening the MCO twitter feed said the information was unconfirmed.

I feel for everyone dealing with the uncertainty right now. Conflicting information really doesn't help. It was certainly frustrating last year when we were at Disney during Matthew.

Wow that would be unfortunate. People cancelled because of that message.

As a meteorologist and a Disney nut, this is tough to watch. I hate all of the decisions you all are having to make. If it were me, I would reschedule. I know that's easier said than done for some and I think the resorts are safe. However, it could be a major mess with lots of damage afterward with massive power outages. It could also be a scary experience if the eye goes over or is just to the east, especially for those that have never been a hurricane. Could it still go far enough east where this doesn't happen? Sure, but I'm becoming more concerned.

I am not trying to scare anybody, but I do think it's prudent to think of the possible impacts. I'm certainly not judging anybody's decision. You all have my prayers and best thoughts!
What if reschedule wasn't possible? We aren't scheduled to leave until 16th.

EDITED: No sooner did I say that when it changed to them monitoring the situation lol. It might have been because I visited the page last night and then it reloaded after I posted. I would still expect them to close, just perhaps not as early as 5pm Friday. For Matthew they closed 8pm Thurs and the worst of it blew through in the wee hours of the morning on Friday.

Yeah I had the same thing happen to me and had to refresh. No worries. Like I said it was still unconfirmed (to me) but then I found confirmation.

Do you mean not as early as 5 PM Saturday?

The message on Orlando International's site changed. Last night it stated they were ceasing operation of commercial flights at 5pm Saturday. Now that same banner simply states that they are operational and monitoring the situation.

What if reschedule wasn't possible? We aren't scheduled to leave until 16th.

Well that is obviously a better time as the storm will be long gone. In that time frame, it's just a question of how much damage there is around the area and how that affects things. You definitely have time to watch it play out.

The message on Orlando International's site changed. Last night it stated they were ceasing operation of commercial flights at 5pm Saturday. Now that same banner simply states that they are operational and monitoring the situation.

Yeah just in your edit you said 5 PM Friday.

Cmon moderators.

Uh.... are you behind in the thread? We had some trolls but for a pretty good time now just useful positive information and a place for people to vent over their changed and/or cancelled plans.

There is something about long threads that seem to bother people on the DIS. Would you rather it be a ghost town? It pretty much is anymore without hurricanes and free dining.

I just read on MCO website they are cease at 5pm on Saturday? What is you have a flight scheduled that day that is like at 6pm what happens is it cancelled??? just curious how it works

Since recommended arrival time for domestic departures is 2 hours in advance and international is 3 hours, MCO shutting down at 5PM, those who had a 6PM flight would already be at the airport by 4PM. That is if the 6PM flights are not cancelled.

As if this morning, Orlando International Airport has not made a decision.
https://www.clickorlando.com/weathe...rport-halting-flights-on-saturday-due-to-irma

They are basically retracting an earlier message that they were closing at 5PM. They said a decision will be made later today.

MCO has taken it off their website and rumors I'm seeing says they are now playing it by ear. Someone found that on the site but I don't see it. On phone though.

Did they take it out now?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-09-07-09-10-21-141_com.android.chrome.png
    Screenshot_2017-09-07-09-10-21-141_com.android.chrome.png
    391.1 KB · Views: 34
I'm considering delaying my trip. We're supposed to fly in on Friday at 3:05 and it looks like I might be able to reasonably adjust my trip to start next Thursday. I know there's no way of knowing for sure - but is it reasonable to expect that MCO will be operational by then if I'm able to shift all of my plans?

I'm considering delaying my trip. We're supposed to fly in on Friday at 3:05 and it looks like I might be able to reasonably adjust my trip to start next Thursday. I know there's no way of knowing for sure - but is it reasonable to expect that MCO will be operational by then if I'm able to shift all of my plans?

I was suppose to fly in Friday too and I rescheduled for next Friday. The again my trip is short and any kind of closing or disruption would have cut my trip in half. I'd say reschedule if you can. If you can't, then just go, be prepared and hope for the best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter