Hurricane Irma?

Sometimes people don't take things seriously enough to leave. That's why there are warnings about how bad it could be. I've been one of those stubborn people. Dire warnings work. I think we all hope it's not as bad as everyone thinks it will be.

Just my .02
For anybody second guessing your decision that you cancelled, you should not feel that way. Hurricanes are unpredictable and can change at any time. I was just on CNN and the hurricane bounced back and forth between a category two and a three in the Orlando area in about a half hour. I have been through hurricanes and storms and have seen things get better or worse at the same time right before a direct hit. You just don't know and better to be safe than sorry. You have made the best decision for you and your family and look forward to your next trip. Good luck to everybody!

Right. As hard as it is to accurately predict exactly where it's going, the intensity forecast is even less accurate.

Kind of beating myself up for canceling last night, like others have posted. DH really wanted to go, but I was getting too stressed over it. I didn't mind the thought of being cooped up in the room, and I'm not afraid of storms, but like I mentioned before it seemed ridiculous to be going into what could be a bad situation when others were trying to get out.

Thankful that the storm is weakening, and praying that everyone remains safe. I will console myself with the fact that I am saving enough by canceling my free dining portion of the trip to pay for our annual passes. And, with the storm weakening, hoping that there will be no issues flying in on Wednesday.

Good luck to all!

oh my why would you want to be going into an area when everyone else is leaving. This just does not make sense. Its also wishful thinking that you believe the storm is weaking. Its a Cat 4 hurricane and still very very dangerous. You are being smart in cancelling your trip. Stay safe

No idea how anyone could be second guessing their decision to cancel based on the current forcast

This is going to cause a massive amount of damage. Orlando right now will still get 110 mile per hour winds

My family lives near orlando and are doing everything they can to prepare. While people are on here are worrying about rides, they and everyone around them are worried about lives and their homes being destroyed

No idea how anyone could be second guessing their decision to cancel based on the current forcast

This is going to cause a massive amount of damage. Orlando right now will still get 110 mile per hour winds

My family lives near orlando and are doing everything they can to prepare. While people are on here are worrying about rides, they and everyone around them are worried about lives and their homes being destroyed

A person with common sense.

THANK YOU.

I have friends in Gainesville, so they're keeping me updated. And the updates are not good. Lot of good vibes being sent from my neck of the woods!

As someone who lives a half-mile from the ocean in South Carolina, it's heartbreaking when I see someone use the words "only a Category 3." Please don't underestimate the power of a hurricane. Just for some perspective, Hurricane Katrina was a Category 3 when it made landfall in Louisiana.

I was at Disney last year during Matthew -- a storm that for all intents and purposes "missed" Orlando. We still had plenty of wind, rain, outdoor furniture and benches blown over, etc.

I'm not trying to unnecessarily scare anyone. I just realize a lot of people don't live in hurricane-prone areas. Please do some research on what hurricane strengths mean.

Here in South Carolina, we're still anxiously awaiting to see if the current track holds and we are spared. We had our windows boarded today -- just in case. Hope it was an unnecessary precaution.

Prayers for safety for all in Florida and anywhere in this storm's path.

Quoted you because I think it's important for some to remember your words.

No one should feel bad about cancelling. You have done the right thing. The winds would have to reduce a whole lot more to lessen the chance of danger in Orlando.

One small correction, though. Katrina did NOT make landfall in Louisiana. She made landfall in Waveland MS. And did catastrophic damage for many many miles from that location.

So orginally I was planned to arrive the 10th & 2 days ago I called to reschedule to arrive the 14th. I was thinking that would be fine because at that point the hurricane was leaning towards going east. Now I'm really second guessing that decision especially because we will be driving from Michigan next Wednesday. The way the storm is updating its looking like that is not going to be possible.DH says if these dates don't work then I need to cancel the trip all together he doesn't want me to reschedule for end of September. But of course he hasn't spend the last 2 years saving & planning this trip..super stressed out. Ugh sorry I had to vent somewhere & I know these problems are so very petty and small compared to what other people are going through..

I say "come on down"! What we need on these boards are more friends that hated their vacation because it was stormy while they were here. The threads could go on forever. There's nothing like walking from building 24 to River Mill at POR in a hurricane to get a box lunch for your starving kids because the vacation is more important than safety. Just sayin.

People might think I'm mean and horrible for saying this, but I'm going to say it anyway:

Regardless of what happens with this storm: if you choose to travel to Orlando over the next 3 days for vacation with the current information being what it is: that is a selfish move.

It sucks to cancel and I'll be mad and crying if I have to cancel if Jose hits or the damage is bad from Irma, but at least I can be mad in comfort and safety.

I have family in the path of this storm and they are doing everything they possibly can to get out.

Right on. Thank you for sharing and being so smart about it.My thoughts are with you.

I posted a similar warning (perhaps more direct and terse) but the moderators pulled me last night because I was too doom and gloom...

I simply do not understand anyone not taking up Disney on rescheduling. Even thinking of going down "next week" makes little sense. At best a million people will be turning around and heading back south to clean up the messes.

Even if Disney doesn't get hit, there are over 650,000 mandatory evacuees heading north plus hundreds of thousands more voluntarily evacuating plus if the storm goes up the center east of Florida there will be no place to go and no fuel or food to service anyone.

This will have massive implications on infrastructure, food, gas, etc. Many folks will have no where to go. Many are literally currently stranded on highways throughout Florida right now and the storm hasn't even hit.

This storm is two-to-three times the width of Florida with Cat 3 potential. I'm completely baffled by even the thought of going to Disney next week.

FEMA Chair also just reported that Florida will face massive devastation from this storm. Hopefully that gives moderators the credibility that this is not doom and gloom reporting...it's simply common sense.

We were scheduled to fly in last night till the 16th. We canceled and hope to reschedule. Each there own, but we did what was best for the family. I did cancel all our fast passes and dining ressies! I hope it help cheer up someone a little. Stay safe down there. Once the storm passes we will rebook. In the mean time we are road tripping for a little fun! Still missing school but oh well!

I have family in the path of this storm and they are doing everything they possibly can to get out.

Unfortunately its impossible to evacuate the entire state, and most want to stay with their homes.

Anyone close to the coast need to leave though IMO.

Finally got our flight cancellation text for Sunday from United. I was able to get a full refund very quickly. Sad we had to cancel this year's September trip, it's been an annual thing for us for a long time. Cancelling our Pop reservation and receiving a refund was also easily accomplished, I called at exactly 7 am the other day and the phone was answered right away, no hold.

I finally talked to wdw last night on computer. Super nice cm. poor thing what a mess.....
Anyway > She said for now and until notice on main site > wdw letting you cancel day of ressie. All ressies. So she suggest to stay put and just see how next week is and (thursday) and make a decision then. Which is a good compromise on their part.

What do you think she meant by (Thursday) to make a decision? Thursday 9.14.2017? When are you currently scheduled to arrive?

being a dvc member and having the points and them having availability I made the easy choice of coming in three days earlier. If I wasn't a dvc member and have to pay for my room I might of got my money back. Dvc of course you are still paying but at a much cheaper rate. At Epcot right now waiting for rope drop

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter