• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane Irma?

You are fantastically prepared! The only thing I can think of may not apply to you, but just in case you're like me ... I have lost my ability to remember phone numbers. If that's you, too, consider:
- type a file with all important phone numbers: family, friends, doctor, home and car and health insurance, work, shelter info, county emergency number, whatever numbers you might need. Also might consider including policy numbers, etc.
- print two or three copies, and store them in plastic bags, or laminate them, or try some other way of making them waterproof.
- also, email the file to yourself.

If your phone dies (power loss or dropped during an evacuation), you'll have the paper copies. If those get damaged, you can still access the info once you get somewhere with computer and email access, or someone has a smartphone that you can borrow.
I saw a post where someone suggested to write your phone number on your pets stomach with permanent marker in case it is lost lol actually it is a good idea. Well they said a lot lose their collars and tags so this is why they are writing their number on their pets.

But, I still see an element of defiance "I'm going on my trip no matter the perceived danger and I will get something more than the people who were afraid !!" (less crowds).. but i'm sure some of that is due to previous observations/experiences too.

I'm seeing a lot of people really not knowing what to do and going through real anguish in making their decisions. Its more than money, it's time spent with family that is not always easily replaceable. It's not for you to judge anyone as they have to live with their decision either way.

I live in Tampa. My family has done all we can to prepare, and now it feels strange just to sit and wait. I moved all my husband's stuff into my closet so we can turn his closet into a hurricane room if necessary, since it's the only downstairs, inner, windowless room in the house. I've got tons of water, and enough Spaghettios, Cliff bars, and fruit cups to feed an army. The freezer is full of gallon jugs of water and I've got my biggest cooler clean and ready. I've made a video of the house and all our possessions for insurance purposes. We brought the pool furniture and the plants into the garage. All the laundry is done. Valuables and sentimental items are protected. I'll fill all the sinks and tubs with water Sunday evening. The cars are full of gas. I have an emergency bag packed and in the car in case we have to leave for the local shelter. Irma is not supposed to be coming for two more days and I don't know what else to do! If you think of something I forgot let me know! :-)

Of course I'm concerned for my family and my friends and neighbors, but I also feel bad for all whose Disney plans have been messed up. I know how much I treasure my vacations and I would be very upset if this happened to me. Of course people's lives and homes are more important than people's vacations, but vacations are important too.

I wish everyone at or coming to Disney the best (and safest) possible vacation under the circumstances, and for those who have had to postpone your trips, I hope it all works out for you and you eventually go and have a wonderful time. Disney is always worth the wait!

Back up your computer. Also - if you have external drives, put things on them, put them in ziplocs and pack them.

I would caution against UNO - that's a fighting game around here.

Good Luck!

Edited to add this - it is too late for this storm, but I have a small battery operated HD tv. It is great for watching local news when power, cable and potentially cell phones are all flaking out. Everyone in hurricane territory should have one.

Last edited:

I don't like this westward shift. I liked it much better last night when I went to bed hearing 30 to 70 mph winds. Now it's showing 100+.

Only good news with this is it is currently making landfall in Cuba. If it stays on land a few hours, that'll knock wind speeds down a bit before it lifts north. If it turns north very soon, then it won't lose much energy. It's wait and see as always.

Well friends, I'm right smack dab in the middle of the latest path. That's unnerving. But we are going to hunker down tomorrow. We have plenty of food and drink. Not many flashlights. No propane. Cars are gassed. An evacuation bag packed if we have to. Though there's no gas to be found near us. I've been making ice and putting it in freezers for days.

I don't like this westward shift. I liked it much better last night when I went to bed hearing 30 to 70 mph winds. Now it's showing 100+.
Good luck and stay safe!

Someone up thread a bit asked why FL wasn't doing contraflow on the interstates. In one of his news conferences, Gov. Scott said they needed to keep the southbound lanes open for fuel and supplies coming in, as well as utility folks, etc., heading down to help after the storm is past. He did say they were using the shoulders on the northbound lanes to help.

My 4 year old daughter hasn't said much about us not going to Disney (we cancelled on the way to the airport yesterday after the updated euro track) but tonight she brought me this. She said "Look mom it's our family. That's us sad because it's raining and we can't go to Disney."

When I asked who is smiling she said her little brother which is true, he's always smiling and at only 16 months doesn't know the difference. So interesting to be able to see what she is thinking about even though she hasn't verbally expressed it.

I got teary eyed when she came to me with this. Then even more so when I think of the little ones in Florida, about to go through this storm and what they may be thinking but not saying.

Attachments

• 20170908_203846.jpg
    20170908_203846.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 160
My schedule for Sunday was removed, but my schedule for Monday remains and says to call the hotline before reporting for work. I do not expect to go to work on Monday, so I picked up extra hours for my other days off. If we might not have power, I'd rather be at work - at least they have wifi and air conditioning!
I was about to ask for an update from you! Glad to hear you'll be somewhere safe!!

I saw a post where someone suggested to write your phone number on your pets stomach with permanent marker in case it is lost lol actually it is a good idea. Well they said a lot lose their collars and tags so this is why they are writing their number on their pets.
I suppose too late now but also have them chipped. We get ours done and keep info updated. Not that we move. No idea but maybe some vets can do it tomorrow?

My in-laws' house was flooded by Irene in 2011. They were ready for it. They took everything up off the floor, propped their furniture up on blocks, and packed all their important papers (passports, birth and marriage certificates, etc.) into a gallon ZipLock bag.

When the police made them evacuate the house because the water was rising, they took the ZipLock bag with them. My mother-in-law (who is the most wonderful woman in the world) fell as they walked through knee-high flood waters to their daughter's house a few blocks away. :sad1: She was carrying the Ziplock and got soaked, but their papers stayed dry and safe.

After 6 hours on hold yesterday before my phone died and 4 hours of waiting today, Disney did perform some magic for me. Got my dates moved AND they let me keep my free dining plan! She even was able to keep me at Pop Century in
How did you get to keep free dining? I am being told there are no dates available that will allow free dining

I have asked for a cancellation number the three times I called yesterday and the one time I called today and was told Disney does not issue a cancellation number. I am wondering if it is just who you talk with. I am worried sick because I called Pop to see if our reservation was cancelled and was told no and that tomorrow if it was still there we would be charged a no show.
I have been off line for over 24 hours. My update: cancellation was successful, no penalty, my gift cards used to pay for part of the bill have been replenished.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter