• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane Irma?

Will DHS run like normal tomorrow minus Fantasmic and the fact that it's closing a little early? We are switching resorts tomorrow and had an off day planned, but we are thinking we may need to try to go there in the morning. Our little guy is 4 and really hoping to do JTA. We leave Tuesday, so if not I guess we will just lose our tickets for Sunday and Monday. :(

I have many fond memories of sitting around my grandparents' table playing skip bo after dinner until bedtime. Thank you both for reminding me of that!
...So many fond memories of playing skip-bo. Back in the 70's my sister and I played it in Alabama- but we called it "Spite and Malice". We played it with an old regular deck of cards. Also with a pack of Kools, and Annie Green Springs wine.... aaahhhh the memories :cutie:

Where does the water drain to in the Orlando area?

I am a true eng-nerd, I actually enjoyed researching this! :) WDW is in the Reedy Creek watershed. The creeks (like Bonnet Creek) drain into the Kissimmee River. For greater Orlando, underground storm sewer pipes discharge into the many city lakes (per the Orlando Public Works Dept.).

Here are more details on Disney's approach to urban stormwater management, in case anyone is interested.
http://fl.audubon.org/news/water-management-disney-world-behind-scenes-look

Well friends, I'm right smack dab in the middle of the latest path. That's unnerving. But we are going to hunker down tomorrow. We have plenty of food and drink. Not many flashlights. No propane. Cars are gassed. An evacuation bag packed if we have to. Though there's no gas to be found near us. I've been making ice and putting it in freezers for days.

I don't like this westward shift. I liked it much better last night when I went to bed hearing 30 to 70 mph winds. Now it's showing 100+.

Thinking of you and wishing you safe!

Will DHS run like normal tomorrow minus Fantasmic and the fact that it's closing a little early? We are switching resorts tomorrow and had an off day planned, but we are thinking we may need to try to go there in the morning. Our little guy is 4 and really hoping to do JTA. We leave Tuesday, so if not I guess we will just lose our tickets for Sunday and Monday. :(
Yes - everything will run as scheduled.

Today, CMs reported the Standby wait time for TSMM was 5 minutes at most.

0 people in line at times for Chewie; 0 people for Kylo.

The first Disney Jr. Show had 15 people in the audience. As long as it isn't raining, JTA will run as scheduled.

Yes - everything will run as scheduled.

Today, CMs reported the Standby wait time for TSMM was 5 minutes at most.

0 people in line at times for Chewie; 0 people for Kylo.

The first Disney Jr. Show had 15 people in the audience. As long as it isn't raining, JTA will run as scheduled.

Thank you so much for this! I am thinking we will try to go for it in the morning and salvage what we can.

We have flights that arrive in Tampa on September 23 and we fly out Oct 8th. We are booked at BLT for the first week and rented a house for the second week. How is everyone else leaving around then feeling? My concern with this new track is the storm surge in Tampa. (although hopefully a few weeks out, the airport would be fine)

Thank you so much for this! I am thinking we will try to go for it in the morning and salvage what we can.
And if you haven't made it to AK, Disney released FPs for FoP throughout the day, today.

Mickey and Minnie at Adventurer's Outpost had no visitors for the first 2 hours of the day.

@rteetz reported FoP was a walk-on later in the day.

For those needing an online backup to their computers, there's a couple different companies that I hear advertised on podcasts: Carbonite and Backblaze. I don't use either company nor can I endorse one over the other. It wouldn't be a bad idea to search for a coupon code on Honey or Retail Me Not. I'm sure googling cloud computer backup would yield additional options. It's not a bad idea for anyone to do this, but especially important if you are in Irma's path.

I can vouch for Backblaze. I lost everything on my laptop, and they were able to send a hard drive of all my pictures.

I hope for the best for everyone in Irma's path.

And if you haven't made it to AK, Disney released FPs for FoP throughout the day, today.

Mickey and Minnie at Adventurer's Outpost had no visitors for the first 2 hours of the day.

@rteetz reported FoP was a walk-on later in the day.

We haven't. That was planned for Sunday. :( We have to choose between those 2 and as much as I would love to see Pandora, JTA will be more important for the kids. My oldest is 11, so this may be her last time as well.

After living through Harvey, and some of the extreme rain. Only a few areas in Houston got 50". Most of the area got between 25 and 35 inches, over 4 days. However, most of the flooding you saw on the news was from the 1st two days, where there was still under 20 inches of rainfall. Some areas that got hit hard later were next to rivers that were downstream of the all the rain areas, and downstream of the dams that had to release water to keep the pressure off of the dams. Yes, these storms are very different, but 10-20 inches of rain in less than a 24 period anywhere will cause flooding issues pretty much anywhere

Also, the bayous did drain very well after the rain finally stopped. The areas that are still flooded this week are from the extreme growth on the west side of Houston causing more water to flow into the reservoirs and not soak into the ground as it was when the damns were built back in the 40s.

Where does the water drain to in the Orlando area?

Most of the water drains into retention ponds or the numerous lakes in the area. Every neighborhood is required to have proper drainage so as a result flooding isn't much of a problem

Last edited:
I can't even count how many posts I have read on this thread there are so many. My family is heading back to WDW in March and I can only imagine how crappy it would be to have to cancel our trip for whatever reason. With that said, it makes me sad that so many posts have such a complete disregard to the potential devastation this hurricane may cause (not necessarily in Orlando) and how many peoples' lives may drastically change. Our Disney trips (mine included) are luxuries that millions of people do not have the opportunity to experience. While we are upset we may have to cancel our trips, or praying it stalls out over Cuba, or takes a hook in a different direction to spare our trips, we have to remember lives will be lost, homes will be destroyed, islands/Countries will be demolished, but we will only need to reschedule our luxury. I will gladly cancel 100 trips to Disney to spare any of this devastation. I pray for all of the people who have already been affected by Hurricane Irma and for those who are still in her path.

My flight is currently scheduled for next Wednesday, 13th. I'm fully prepared to reschedule if necessary (but i hope i don't have to!). Sending MAJOR positive vibes to Orlando and Florida, in general. I'm so nervous for everyone. Poseidon needs to slow his roll.

We were at MK this evening for 2 hours, and everything had very short waits. We rode Buzz twice in a row, Dumbo five times in a row (five times too many if you ask me), SDMT with only a 15-minute wait, the carousel, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and the Jungle Cruise. We stayed for the fireworks, and it wasn't the usual craziness trying to get out afterwards.

Honestly, I can see why, if you're staying on Disney property and haven't followed this storm too much, you would think it wasn't a big deal - especially if you're from a different country or somewhere where hurricanes just don't happen. It's so easy to be in that Disney bubble. It made me sad to think that everything will be closed up for a couple of days; I really hope damage is minimal.

Earlier today we moved a potted plant into our hallway, and we came home to find at least three lizards that must have been living in it, now living in our house. They were evicted, but I'm sure more will show up!

I asked this in UO forum but that has much less traffic.

I'll be flying in next Thursday (local conditions permitting) and I was wondering if anyone thinks I might have trouble with my UO resort booking or car rental. These things have been reported as being scarce and I wonder if existing reservations might get "bumped" if people are still stuck in Orlando trying to get home.

(All my reservations were made a few months ago. SW flight, UO resort, National car rental.)

Just reading all this is making me nervous about our upcoming trip and Jose. We don't even arrive till the 25th! I hope this all calms down. Craziest few weeks I've seen in years, well in terms of natural disasters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter