• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane Irma?

Do you mean for the locals? I know for us at least, I'm confident buildings at Disney are going to still be standing, and I would imagine any power loss would be brief. I can't say the same for my house! We could have pretty extensive damage, and it's pretty much guaranteed that we'll lose power. Disney would be safer and more comfortable and for us, that's worth the cost. We just can't find a room!

One of my daughters just moved to the Orlando area two weeks ago (great timing). On Thursday when it looked like the eye of the storm might be going over Orlando, she and one of her roommates booked a room at POR for Saturday and Sunday nights because they thought it would be safer and more likely to have power than their apartment.

Then when they heard about the possibility of hurricane force winds for several hours, they both booked flights out of town rather than sticking around to experience the storm firsthand. So, now we have an unexpected house guest for the weekend whose biggest concern has shifted from riding out her first hurricane to finding a way back to Orlando because her return flight on Southwest on Tuesday morning has already been cancelled and they can't rebook her until Friday, which is later than she needs to get back for training for her new job.

I know though that, even though her apartment is in a nice, newer (10 year old) building, my wife and I felt better about her being in a Disney hotel with lots of other people and support around. Because of its infrastructure and independence I think Disney can handle issues better than most other places.

With all the cancellations happening for Tuesday flights do you think we can speculate that mco won't be open tuesday

With all the cancellations happening for Tuesday flights do you think we can speculate that mco won't be open tuesday

I think it's just harder with international flights. They leave earlier - like my friend's flight is scheduled out for 10AM Wednesday her time, but that's 5AM Wednesday in Orlando.

So if Orlando makes the call on Monday night to re-open on Tuesday, then that doesn't leave a lot of time for the UK flights to get ready and approval, etc. if they're supposed to leave VERY early Tuesday morning. I think it's a definite sign MCO plans to be closed still on Monday, though.

Basically: It's not apples to oranges.

This was just where I got confused. If the eye is west of Orlando then Orlando is on the dirty side of storm right? Sincerely asking, don't know much about 'canes.
East is the dirty side. If it stays closer to the coast line it will be wetter in Orlando. Each tick west it moves is a tick better for Orlando, as the cone moves with it. That's why Miami has moved out of the cone. But yeah, for now, it's still not in the clear in Orlando at all.

ETA Fixed my typo before everyone else freaks out. What I get for being tired, old and trying to do too many things at once. Why everyone focused on one word and not the rest..... clearly the first word and the rest contradicted itself so that alone should have been an indicator of something.

Last edited:
West is the dirty side. If it stays closer to the coast line it will be wetter in Orlando. Each tick west it moves is a tick better for Orlando, as the cone moves with it. That's why Miami has moved out of the cone. But yeah, for now, it's still not in the clear in Orlando at all.

The highest winds of a hurricane are on its "right side" as it moves, in this case to the east because the storm is projected to move north. Orlando is currently projected to be on this eastern side as Irma passes to its west.

West is the dirty side. If it stays closer to the coast line it will be wetter in Orlando. Each tick west it moves is a tick better for Orlando, as the cone moves with it. That's why Miami has moved out of the cone. But yeah, for now, it's still not in the clear in Orlando at all.

The EAST is the dirty side with more rain wind and tornadoes. Aka the side orlando will be on

This was just where I got confused. If the eye is west of Orlando then Orlando is on the dirty side of storm right? Sincerely asking, don't know much about 'canes.

If by "dirty side" you mean dangerous side, then the answer would normally be yes. the dangerous side is there the rotation has wind that is augmented by the forward motion of the storm. That is east side of a north moving hurricane. BUT, in this case the storm's energy is being slightly depleted over land while the west side is benefiting from the warm water. I would say both side roughly equal in impact with all things considered. Tornado threat will be greater over land on the SE side as it moves north away from Orlando.

Ok so now I'm thinking I need to contact Alaska and try and change my flight that comes into Tampa on the 23rd to an arrival at MCO instead. What should I do?? I'm really worried about the storm surge in Tampa. Poor Tampa :guilty:

I asked this in UO forum but that has much less traffic.

I'll be flying in next Thursday (local conditions permitting) and I was wondering if anyone thinks I might have trouble with my UO resort booking or car rental. These things have been reported as being scarce and I wonder if existing reservations might get "bumped" if people are still stuck in Orlando trying to get home.

(All my reservations were made a few months ago. SW flight, UO resort, National car rental.)

We were scheduled to arrive 9/13 and have decided to cancel everything. Wether permitting we will rebook for 9/20-9/27 so I've been checking availability for flights hotels and car rentals for those dates and there has been a lot of availibilty and for a lot cheaper then I originally paid! Good luck hopefully u won't have to cancel!

If by "dirty side" you mean dangerous side, then the answer would normally be yes. the dangerous side is there the rotation has wind that is augmented by the forward motion of the storm. That is east side of a north moving hurricane. BUT, in this case the storm's energy is being slightly depleted over land while the west side is benefiting from the warm water. I would say both side roughly equal in impact with all things considered. Tornado threat will be greater over land on the SE side as it moves north away from Orlando.

Thank you!!

Yes, that is why I was gently trying to correct Angi who stated Orlando was going to be west of the storm center. If Irma goes on the most recently predicted track, Tampa would get a direct hit but Orlando would still get hit by the northeast quadrant of the storm where usually the highest winds, other than eye wall, are and more tornadoes.

This is correct. The weather channel showed wind gusts for Florida expected. Orlandos is slightly worse then Tampa because the north east quadrant is the worst

Ok so now I'm thinking I need to contact Alaska and try and change my flight that comes into Tampa on the 23rd to an arrival at MCO instead. What should I do?? I'm really worried about the storm surge in Tampa. Poor Tampa :guilty:

I feel your pain but you can't out guess a hurricane! It's really to early to know where the damage will be! I'm sure the airlines have taken all their planes out of both locations so hopefully there will plenty of lights coming in. Good Luck!

This is correct. The weather channel showed wind gusts for Florida expected. Orlandos is slightly worse then Tampa because the north east quadrant is the worst

Thank you! I ended up deleting the words you quoted because I was contradicted by someone. I was just quoting the many meteorologists. But I will admit Irma seems to have a mind of her own! But will Orlando be better off than Tampa, I don't think we will know until after storm passes.

Generally, immediately after a hurricane, it is UNBEARABLY hot and humid. Sticky, oppressive heat.

Speaking as someone who has had to clean up a tree-filled yard after quite a few hurricanes and tropical storms, this is my experience as well. Usually this comes with the added bonuses of angry stirred-up fire ants and flocks of annoying love bugs.

Good times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter