Hurricane Irma?

For anyone flying from the UK on Tuesday with Virgin Atlantic please check your flights ours have just been cancelled and the TA has no idea when we will be able to now fly out.
I'm so sorry for you not knowing when you can go. It does look like weather is slowing so may still be rough then. I hope you find out more and can get sorted soon. All the flights have gone today and I feel sorry for those arriving without their own transport- they won't be able to get supplies for shutdown over the next couple of days.

As I said about 100 pages ago (lol) "west is best, east is worst" is usually the rule. Of course, Harvey was an exception, but let's not even go there.

That Josh Gad story is so odd. Why is Kristen Bell there and why couldn't she get out? And what room did she "give" to Josh Gad's parents? Does she own the hotel? And why couldn't Josh Gad's parents get their own room? Maybe Josh Gad could lend them some money? How did she save the lives of Josh Gad's parents exactly?

So many questions...

Ok so now I'm thinking I need to contact Alaska and try and change my flight that comes into Tampa on the 23rd to an arrival at MCO instead. What should I do?? I'm really worried about the storm surge in Tampa. Poor Tampa :guilty:

We flu into Tampa the 20th. Have reservations at a beachfront hotel in Clearwater beach for a few nights. The hotel and Clearwater beach is currently in mandatory evacuation zone. I'm waiting until after the storm to make any decisions. As much as I'm looking forward to my first beach vacation without kids I'm more concerned about the residents of Florida and everyone in its path

This is a graphic from the National Weather Service with the expected maximum wind gusts based on the 11am NHC track.

BIM6M52.jpg

Based on this map, Orlando is located in an area with expected maximum GUSTS of 71-80mph. The sustained winds would be lower. As others have pointed out, being located east of the storm does open the possibility of tornadoes.

That Josh Gad story is so odd. Why is Kristen Bell there and why couldn't she get out? And what room did she "give" to Josh Gad's parents? Does she own the hotel? And why couldn't Josh Gad's parents get their own room? Maybe Josh Gad could lend them some money? How did she save the lives of Josh Gad's parents exactly?

So many questions...

She is filming a movie. The movie production didn't either want them to leave or couldn't get them flights out. They couldn't find a room because most hotels are at capacity. From what I understand his family lives in the Tampa area that was evacuated later on. I assume they had quite a few rooms for all the film production people so I am sure they could shift people around. Also I am sure they probably have suites and extra space to help out.

I think it's just harder with international flights. They leave earlier - like my friend's flight is scheduled out for 10AM Wednesday her time, but that's 5AM Wednesday in Orlando.

So if Orlando makes the call on Monday night to re-open on Tuesday, then that doesn't leave a lot of time for the UK flights to get ready and approval, etc. if they're supposed to leave VERY early Tuesday morning. I think it's a definite sign MCO plans to be closed still on Monday, though.

Basically: It's not apples to oranges.

Agree with all of the above. And even if MCO is open Tuesday, that doesn't mean domestic carriers will be ready to fly their regular schedule. They likely will have moved aircraft out of the area, and they need to get crews, who may be in other cities, back to where they are supposed to be. It takes the airlines a bit to get themselves back up and ready.

So many questions...

Yes!! LOL. As I read the article I was like "Why is this a thing?"

I keep saying it, but I don't expect anyone to remember - I live south east of Houston. I don't know a single person (including a massive Facebook group I'm in for local women with 13,000 members) that says they are glad they rode out Harvey. EVERY ONE says they will never, ever do that again. Most had no flooding, but it was all of the rest: days of fearing tornados, no power, gas and food shortages, extreme cabin fever from being stuck inside for days, just simply the stress of worrying about losing one's home. It has been an experience I wouldn't believe had I not just experienced it - and I evacuated with my kids! I understand the people who can't evacuate and choose to spend it at Disney because it's the safest option around. I don't understand deliberately still traveling to Orlando right now. I can tell you that my community, which is a tourist area, absolutely would not appreciate tourists purposely coming here strictly for entertainment and straining our already over-taxed resources. But I'm not sure we could have articulated that beforehand. Just for information, we are STILL having a gas shortage. It is only now, two weeks later, that grocery stores are starting to reliably have the basics. Many restaurants still haven't reopened. And we're not even in an area that was the hardest hit with flooding. In addition, we are grieving as a community - so many have lost so much, and there have been several deaths. I do wish more people would reconsider their travel plans. And above all, I pray for safety for all involved, whether they are there by force or by choice. I truly don't want people to experience what we are going through, or worse.

:thumbsup2 I've been "preaching" that since Tuesday/Wednesday...when there was still time for incoming guests to cancel. We're in the Houston area also, small town to the west, and EVERY word you said was absolutely true. :thumbsup2 Florida will be under extreme stress for weeks...please, please don't add to the burden. :tink:

Does anyone think this will affect flights going out on Friday from NYC to Barcelona? I'm guessing not, but thought I'd ask.

The highest winds of a hurricane are on its "right side" as it moves, in this case to the east because the storm is projected to move north. Orlando is currently projected to be on this eastern side as Irma passes to its west.
The EAST is the dirty side with more rain wind and tornadoes. Aka the side orlando will be on

If by "dirty side" you mean dangerous side, then the answer would normally be yes. the dangerous side is there the rotation has wind that is augmented by the forward motion of the storm. That is east side of a north moving hurricane. BUT, in this case the storm's energy is being slightly depleted over land while the west side is benefiting from the warm water. I would say both side roughly equal in impact with all things considered. Tornado threat will be greater over land on the SE side as it moves north away from Orlando.
That is what my brain said. My fingers didn't. I just typed the wrong word. All I was saying is the more west it moves the more the cone goes with it. That moves the dirty part from Orlando. Bit by bit. But it moves more of it to Tampa.

:grouphug:
West is the dirty side. If it stays closer to the coast line it will be wetter in Orlando. Each tick west it moves is a tick better for Orlando, as the cone moves with it. That's why Miami has moved out of the cone. But yeah, for now, it's still not in the clear in Orlando at all.

Here's a good page from the NOAA: http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/D6.html :grouphug:

Agree with all of the above. And even if MCO is open Tuesday, that doesn't mean domestic carriers will be ready to fly their regular schedule. They likely will have moved aircraft out of the area, and they need to get crews, who may be in other cities, back to where they are supposed to be. It takes the airlines a bit to get themselves back up and ready.

My sister is a CP and I managed to get her a flight out today. I'm trying to figure out when to book her flight back in

In case anyone is wondering what it's like to be at Disney World while they prep for a hurricane:

Thanks for the update! Get plenty of towels if you haven't already and consider rolling one up
And put it by the door.

In case anyone is wondering what it's like to be at Disney World while they prep for a hurricane:

These people seem woefully naive. They have some chips and a few bottles of water for 2 days? They'll put the suitcases on the bed? Do they realize that if the doors or windows blow in, the suitcases will be blown off the bed? Their belongings would be more secure in the closet like area near the sink. And I would have probably put some real food in that fridge, like chicken, fruits, or at least some protein bars or sandwiches from the food court. Take the drinks out, fill the sink with ice, and stick them in there to free up fridge room.
Also, if that river floods, a single layer of 3 sandbags isn't going to save them.

I have a feeling these 2 are in for a miserable 2 days. Especially if the power goes out and they can't watch the free mickey movies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter