• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane Irma?

View attachment 268410

Thought I would share this again. We lived in Port Charlotte in '04 for Charley, DD was 9. I live South of Tampa (Riverview) now, DD is 22 and came home to me from her apartment to wait out Irma.

We have good friends that evacuated from Riverview earlier this week! We'll be thinking of you. :grouphug:

I just want to vent for a moment. I hope it's ok. I've been in this thread since page 39. It definitely relates to irma.

Foreword - (What I am upset about doesn't compare to the negative impact in people's daily lives that will be or have been affected by the storm. I know this. Most things we get upset about in life are small when compared to someone's elses turmoil in life. However, it's human nature to still feel sadness and disappointment over things that affect us in a negative way in our own lives no matter how small in comparison.)

I have been looking forward to this Disney trip for 3 years. My husband is not a Disney nut and we have agreed to go every 3 years. The last time we were there was in 2014. Ever since I was a little girl, I've dreamed of going with my own family. I remember seeing families at Disney and thinking I can't wait to be that family someday.

We have a 4 year old daughter and a 17 month old son. Lately, things haven't been great between me and my husband. We have had a lot of stressors. We havent done much as a family and havent been on vacation in 2 years. This trip was my light at the end of the tunnel.

Fast forward to Thursday. We are packed and on our way to the airport when we see the latest euro model and painfully cancel. I was able to reschedule but now my husband cannot go because of work obligations (he's self employed). I am devastated. I have been crying on and off since. We needed this vacation. Now it will be a year or two before we can go again as a family. Tomorrow is our 6 year anniversary and all we have been doing is arguing.

So with all that, I would just like to say, I hate you Irma!

That really sucks and I don't blame you for being angry, sad and totally disappointed. Also, you should not feel guilty for feeling the way you do. Everyone needs a break and looking forward to a great vacation that you really needed and then it being cancelled is a super big disappointment. I hope you can get to Disney soon or maybe go on a different vacation if Disney is not possible right now.

Hi Speri! I created an account just to reply to you. :) I got an email this morning letting me know my Tuesday HOU -> MCO was cancelled. My original date was 10-16, pushed back 2 days, thought it was safe, but.... I've managed to push back to the 14th (SW had zero availability for a Wed departure, which could either mean sold out already or they aren't flying?), and also managed to rearrange my BWI to an AoA (because BWI had no availability), though I'm still working diligently on getting BWI back, or maybe YC, BC. I can dream, lol. I'm shocked to hear that some SW have not been cancelled yet, but I hope it sticks and you make that flight!

Well, Thank you :flower3:. That makes me feel kinda special. Lol. Welcome to the disboards! and I hope you make it to BC.

Yeah, it's strange. So far I've received no phone call, email, text etc. and I checked online and it's still there. Hmmm.

Thank you all for your kind words. Believe it or not it helps to hear others sympathy.

We will try to take a small trip somewhere local for a few days but we aren't quite sure how to work it with the care needed for his mom. We are hiring some help and maybe we can find someone willing to care for her over a weekend so we can get away.

@Donald my hero - that's spot on. My husband has a lot of anxiety when leaving for vacations even after months of planning. He owns around 25 rentals and manages them himself. So he has to coordinate people to be available for issues that come up with tenants. And he had filed eviction papers on a tenant not paying rent and has a scheduled court date. If he missed it, he has to start the process over and they are already $3k behind on rent.

Thank you all for your kind words. Believe it or not it helps to hear others sympathy.

We will try to take a small trip somewhere local for a few days but we aren't quite sure how to work it with the care needed for his mom. We are hiring some help and maybe we can find someone willing to care for her over a weekend so we can get away.

@Donald my hero - that's spot on. My husband has a lot of anxiety when leaving for vacations even after months of planning. He owns around 25 rentals and manages them himself. So he has to coordinate people to be available for issues that come up with tenants. And he had filed eviction papers on a tenant not paying rent and has a scheduled court date. If he missed it, he has to start the process over and they are already $3k behind on rent.

I work for a property management company, and I can relate . . . you really can't take vacations in that industry (unless you can share the work with others). I hope your husband can find some trustworthy help so he can relax for a few days. Best wishes that friends/family/outside services can help you out and give you a much needed break.

Something I've never thought to ask: I wonder how well built the water parks are to withstand this type of stuff. I imagine pretty well like the other parks.

Also @Rachel Underwood and anyone else who has had their trips pulled away from them, if you can spare some bucks each month I've discovered pin trading online is an amazing outlet to enjoy Disney between trips without forcing my husband to enjoy anything alongside me! The community is nice and the pins are fun and make me think of the parks. :)

I do property managenent amongst other tasks - and at least here you can send in a letter to the landlord tenant division where the complaint was filed and request an adjournment due to a previously planned vacation. Hope that info helps! *hugs*

My grandmother lived with us for a year with dementia. Aside from having bedbugs in our NYC apartment while she was with us that lasted for months, that transition was the hardest thing we have ever gone through. I can't imagine doing it with your kiddos too. Please be kind to yourself and your marriage. Do whatever you can to stay on the same page. I'm so sorry you lost your trip. My husband isn't a Disney guy either. Next year will be even better with Toy Story Land and Pandora will be older news. Your kiddos will be taller and can ride more things but will still be young enough to enjoy the magic. Please be as sad as you need to be and then when you are ready look into resources to help you manage your mother in law's care so you aren't alone. You are doing an amazing thing. I know every person with dementia is different, but my grandmother was amazing to have around in some ways. It took her a long time but she could chop vegetables if we gave her specific tasks. Find the things that work and, though it might strike others as odd, find humor wherever you can. If you can't laugh at the situation when a person with dementia does something funny, you will go crazy.

Very well said. Went through this too with my mom and 2 small kids. You are doing a very kind thing - but make sure you time to take care of yourself, and I second the "find humor" part!

I just want to vent for a moment. I hope it's ok. I've been in this thread since page 39. It definitely relates to irma.

Foreword - (What I am upset about doesn't compare to the negative impact in people's daily lives that will be or have been affected by the storm. I know this. Most things we get upset about in life are small when compared to someone's elses turmoil in life. However, it's human nature to still feel sadness and disappointment over things that affect us in a negative way in our own lives no matter how small in comparison.)

I have been looking forward to this Disney trip for 3 years. My husband is not a Disney nut and we have agreed to go every 3 years. The last time we were there was in 2014. Ever since I was a little girl, I've dreamed of going with my own family. I remember seeing families at Disney and thinking I can't wait to be that family someday.

We have a 4 year old daughter and a 17 month old son. Lately, things haven't been great between me and my husband. We have had a lot of stressors. We havent done much as a family and havent been on vacation in 2 years. This trip was my light at the end of the tunnel.

Fast forward to Thursday. We are packed and on our way to the airport when we see the latest euro model and painfully cancel. I was able to reschedule but now my husband cannot go because of work obligations (he's self employed). I am devastated. I have been crying on and off since. We needed this vacation. Now it will be a year or two before we can go again as a family. Tomorrow is our 6 year anniversary and all we have been doing is arguing.

So with all that, I would just like to say, I hate you Irma!

Man, that's tough. I have been there where going to Disney was the light at the end of the tunnel. More than once in fact:( I can't imagine having to cancel though. All I can say is to try to keep hope up for your next trip and for your kids. Try to empathize with DH. I know how incredibly difficult that can be at times::yes:: Just barely getting over being mad at my DH for not keeping his word to me yesterdayo_O Here's hoping everything improves and that your next Disney trip is great and is sooner rather than later:goodvibes If you can't vent here about not getting to go to Disney, then where can you vent about that;)

I do property managenent amongst other tasks - and at least here you can send in a letter to the landlord tenant division where the complaint was filed and request an adjournment due to a previously planned vacation. Hope that info helps! *hugs*
They actually scheduled it the week we were originally planned to go so he already requested the date to be moved! This is why I cry! The odds were not ever in our favor.

I got the text earlier that my Tuesday night flight through Southwest was cancelled. Funny thing, I was actually on the website looking to see if earlier that day was possible, and they were still accepting bookings for my flight! I found that weird. So I looked into it and through the link they directed me to, it basically said the flight MAY be cancelled, so I could reschedule at any time from that point on with no charges, as long as it was the same or sister airports, and within 14 days of my original flight. I did not reschedule, because I have to be back to work, so if no flight will be available I'll have to find another way home. Here's hoping things are cleared up at the airport by Tuesday night!

I'm not understanding why airlines are canceling flights so far into next week were due to fly out Thursday.
It's very curious. Based on what I'm reading here, it's only Southwest so far. Equally odd, however, was that Southwest announced a couple of days ago that it anticipated flight disruptions, delays and/or cancellations for scheduled flights throughout Florida through September 17. Could be any number of reasons but nothing is clear right now. It doesn't seem to be MCO and the other airlines haven't followed - so it appears to be only a SW issue.

It's rampant speculation on my part (which is exactly what this thread doesn't need anymore of - but I'm at least prefacing it by saying I have no idea what I'm talking about and don't listen to me for facts) - but I wonder if SW has issues with slot allocation at these airports. There'll be a lot of traffic back into these airports when they reopen - a lot of demand and possibly not enough landing/take-off slots available for everyone. I have no idea what the arrangements are here, but the discount airlines can get squeezed by the legacy airlines and airport authorities when these fights come up. Could also just be aftereffects of SW trying to reposition its aircraft after all this. Whatever it is, anyone flying SW into MCO through next Sunday should continue to monitor their flight (per SW's earlier announcement).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter