• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane Irma?

I'd imagine thats easier said than done for some people. We're not going this year, but are planning on going next year and were considering not hiring a car for the first time ever. Fly in from UK, magical express to WDW and Uber to get to Universal etc. I'm sure Im not the only person who thought that might be viable in these days of uber. Then this happens - how do you stock up with supplies when you've flown in and no rental car? There's probably quite a few people in that situation.
But its not like this storm arrived unannounced. People have been watching and talking about this for weeks. That's why its called "stocking up". Even yesterday they could have "ubered" or walked to a convenience store. People have have had plenty of warning. Scarily, now for OP, its almost "too late".

I've got a former roommate on ride out over at the BC. Seems to be enjoying it

If I was a resorts CM, I'd definitely sign up for ride-out crew since many of their tasks remain guest-focused.

Parks CMs are more about doing the tear down, clean up, and "reset" required to keep the parks in proper condition, and I can't do the heavy lifting required. :(

I'd imagine thats easier said than done for some people. We're not going this year, but are planning on going next year and were considering not hiring a car for the first time ever. Fly in from UK, magical express to WDW and Uber to get to Universal etc. I'm sure Im not the only person who thought that might be viable in these days of uber. Then this happens - how do you stock up with supplies when you've flown in and no rental car? There's probably quite a few people in that situation.
You use uber or a cab to get yourself to a grocery store in the days BEFORE the storm is expected.

If I was a resorts CM, I'd definitely sign up for ride-out crew since many of their tasks remain guest-focused.

Parks CMs are more about doing the tear down, clean up, and "reset" required to keep the parks in proper condition, and I can't do the heavy lifting required. :(

Definitely - I was over at DAK and couldn't see myself being much help in getting the park back up to shape in the aftermath of a hurricane. Dealt with a few storms every now and then, but nothing like this.

I think I read a few pages ago that SW flights before 1:00 pm are cancelled until they know the extent of the damage/power outages, etc. I hope you can get in! I'm coming later in the day Tuesday and keep checking my email.
Thank you! I just spoke to a SW agent and she told me the same thing you said. I may just rent a car here in DC and drive the 13 hours.... I can't count on any flights at this point. Good luck to you too my friend! <3

I'm so sorry your anticipated source of food has disappeared. I hope they still provide something even if it's not prepared food. I pray you get what you need.
Also sorry people yelled at you.

Truly no one yelled at the poster. Its just so hard to understand that we have known about this storm for such a long time with so many authorities explaining how to prepare and that there are still some who dont take personal responsibility to ensure that they are protected.

Truly no one yelled at the poster. Its just so hard to understand that we have known about this storm for such a long time with so many authorities explaining how to prepare and that there are still some who dont take personal responsibility to ensure that they are protected.

They thought they had food taken care of and the hotel changed their plan. Telling them at this point, "You should have made a plan B days ago" doesn't really help anyone.

OP, I hope you're able to find some food!

It does strike me to wonder, why is it so far, only Southwest that's cancelling flights? Or does it just happen to be Southwest is the only airlines that folks here are flying and the others have cancelled and we just don't have anyone flying so no one has posted?

Looks like most flights out of DCA are cancelled through Tuesday as well, regardless of airline.
http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KDCA/cancelled_origin

If Disney vacations go through as planned, I wonder if there would be a place to leave donations (@ Disney or MCO) to help with hurricane damage in FL at end of our vacation. (I.e. if I have extra US cash on my way out after vacation, I may want to leave some to help the state recover).

Donating online might incurr extra exchange rate charges, but I will be exchanging money anyways for vacay if I end up going.

Also want these donations to go to reputable charities.

Anyone know if Disney CMs can help with this?

They thought they had food taken care of and the hotel changed their plan. Telling them at this point, "You should have made a plan B days ago" doesn't really help anyone.

OP, I hope you're able to find some food!

Again, i dont want this to escalate into anything overly negative, now is not the time for that. But i am a big believer in personal accountabilty, especially in a time of a natural disaster when resources will be spread so thin. You can't expect or anticipate anyone else taking care of you.

You take a cab or Uber/Lyft to a store and shop.
You take a bus to DS and then walk to a nearby store to shop, then reverse back to your resort.
A rental car is not required.

If Disney vacations go through as planned, I wonder if there would be a place to leave donations (@ Disney or MCO) to help with hurricane damage in FL at end of our vacation. (I.e. if I have extra US cash on my way out after vacation, I may want to leave some to help the state recover).

Donating online might incurr extra exchange rate charges, but I will be exchanging money anyways for vacay if I end up going.

Also want these donations to go to reputable charities.

Anyone know if Disney CMs can help with this?
There is the typical number you can text to that will donate $10. It's scrolling on TV every few minutes. If no one else updates with the info I will as soon as it returns again

ETA - you text IRMA to 90999 to donate $10

Last edited:
ATL was hammered by Opal. I lived there at the time. It was not fun.
We were driving home from DW as Opal was hitting Atlanta. It was raining sideways when we got to our hotel( which I had made reservations for before heading home). It was a scary night w/ our hotel windows shaking in the wind. In the morning we were in the only section of Atlanta w/ electricity.

I've got a former roommate on ride out over at the BC. Seems to be enjoying it

I have been seeing people posting videos all over FB showing the parties, meet and greets, parades, sing a longs, activities, dance parties etc. at the resorts. Disney is really working hard to make this fun for the guests who are there.

This. People were wondering how and why. It's understandable why people would continue the vacation, drive to their vacation, ride out the storm, etc., but it's harder to understand why somebody wouldn't prepare for these things. That said, I'm sure others will come to your aid and share their supplies. Stay safe.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter