• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane Irma?

Pets also have a built in alert system. Related to pressure changes. Things get bad enough, they'll naturally adjust their eating and drinking habits to curtail their needs to use the bathroom. Not 100% of the time but you can be pretty amazed at what animals do in weather related situations. Their instincts are pretty incredible.

I've never heard this. I guess if they are super scared from the loud sound of the winds they could eat and drink less

Last edited:

We just had some pretty heavy rain come through - it lightened up about 5 minutes ago, and when I stuck my head out the front door, people up and down the street were out with their dogs! Our neighbor is trying to drag his two little Westies out into what is now just moderate rain - they are having none of it!

Saw some reports of flight cancellations for Tuesday already. My stomach dropped. We are scheduled to leave Tuesday morning at 7:30am (rescheduled from 5:20pm Saturday). Can anyone share more information or specifics? Disney has been great, but I really want to get home!

I've never heard this. I guess if they are super scared from the sound of the winds.
Animals are more sensitive to the barometric pressure changes than we are.
Also how some of the large animals in the zoos and such know when to find and seek shelter. Not just in a hurricane but in just general thunder storms

Animals are more sensitive to the barometric pressure changes than we are.
Also how some of the large animals in the zoos and such know when to find and seek shelter. Not just in a hurricane but in just general thunder storms

That makes sense about the sheltering.

But I've never heard of an animal controlling their excretions in a home (or a hotel!) because their owners can't take them out. Very interesting.

Great tips! As a frequent business traveler and someone who had to spend the night in Terminal B in the Atlanta airport, due to fairly minor weather in Atlanta, (with TV's blaring the Republican National Convention every few feet all night long -- I would have rather been waterboarded), ATL and other airports north of MCO are going to affect flights SIGNIFICANTLY the next few days. MCO reopening is not going to be a magical solution for many, unfortunately.

To add to Bella above, if you need to check luggage, go ahead and do it but be willing to forego anything in that bag for several days. Mentally tell yourself you just shipped your bag home separate from your flight.

Pack a large carry on for anything you really need. Accept any flight that gets you home (or headed in the right direction) with no regard for your checked bag. When the gate agent asks if you checked a bag, (or notices on their own), tell them yes, but you don't need it and you are happy to pick it up later. You will eventually be reunited.

When I travel on business, I always check a bag. Frequently on the way home, I find once I get to the gate I can often jump on an earlier flight -- usually a flight I previously thought I could not make, but it was delayed at the gate. I will always take a "bird in the hand" and get on that plane. You never know if your original flight could be delayed or cancelled. I take the earlier flight and pick up my checked luggage the next day (or whenever). Just go to the baggage office for that airline, located near baggage claim.

Don't let a checked bag keep you from getting on an available flight! Get you home first -- the bag will get to you later.
Just wondering if this would apply to people flying in the week AFTER Irma . . . should we avoid using the Disney luggage tags, and just haul our bags to the Express Bus. (Will the 3rd party group which transports bags magically to hotel rooms be unavailable? I don't mind picking up my own bags if that means we have them in less time and less confusion).

*Still hoping on everything going smoothly, and being able to come to MCO/Disney on Sunday 17th.

Just wondering if this would apply to people flying in the week AFTER Irma . . . should we avoid using the Disney luggage tags, and just haul our bags to the Express Bus. (Will the 3rd party group which transports bags magically to hotel rooms be unavailable? I don't mind picking up my own bags if that means we have them in less time and less confusion).

*Still hoping on everything going smoothly, and being able to come to MCO/Disney on Sunday 17th.

My guess would be that everything is fine by the 17th but I am sure people will be posting if there are issues.

Trisnic. I agree with your comment about being in the vacation zone and not worrying about the news and whatnot. I was staying at Coronado in the days before I had a smartphone and would NEVER have known Atlanta was going through snowmeggadon and the airport was closed if I didn't overhear people talking. I asked them several times if they meant "Atlanta. The one in Georgia?"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter