hurricane seaon

cottontail

DIS Veteran
Hello:

Maybe someone who lives in florida can help me. We are driving down from Canada to wdw the last two weeks of august. What would we do if there was some sort of hurricane alert in florida at that time. Would we cancel our trip, does the hurricane affect the middle of florida?

Our weather related knowledge is snowstorms not hurricanes. Help. Thanks

Deb.

Only once have the theme parks closed due to a hurricane. I would not cancel my reservation. WDW will instruct you on the precautions to take should a hurricane approach but they usually are no longer hurricanes when the approach Orlando. Remember that hurricanes can be out in the Atlantic and never hit land. can move north or south of where you expect it or hit land and then lose steam as the go over land.

I was there last September 12th (I think) and we were visited by a tropical storm. It was very windy and rainy, but Epcot was empty!! It cleared up by the afternoon.

Donna

Officially, the hurricane season is June thru November.
September is by far the most active hurricane month.

Actually the most sctive times are from mid-August through mid-October. And it seems that there is always out there around Labor Day.

I was there during Hurricane Floyd in September of 1999.

Believe it or not, it was actually a blessing that helped make this our greatest vacation ever. Disney reimbursed us for meals/tickets that we lost for our Fall Fantasy package and Luau Show, we were forced to have a break that we desperately needed, and the parks were empty after the storm. Some of the parks were closed longer than others but Animal Kingdom was hardly affected and opened at noon the day after the storm after closing at 4 the day before.

It was truly amazing to see them prepare for the storm.

I am a native Floridian. I have lived here all my life and I have never seen the parks close due to a Hurricane!! Orlando is far enough inland that by the time a hurricane reaches the park it will pretty much downgraded!! I am not saying there isn't a risk!! That would be foolish!! I am just saying that I would not obsess over it! Go and have fun!! That is what Disney is all about!!

Disney Bound 2001
October 20th-October 28th 2001
All Star Sports

Check out ou family web site for neat pictures of our last Disney trip in March 2001!!

chris320.tripod.com

:smooth: :smooth: :smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter