hurricane season is here

Meh, not worried. I'll be there in mid September, but I live in South Florida and tend take far-out hurricane forecasts with a grain of salt. They change so much. Beware of the media, which thrives off of hurricanes this time of year for ratings.

I hope you are right! I just read something that said it cold intensify into a hurricane and FL will most likely take a hit. UGH.

I hope you are right! I just read something that said it cold intensify into a hurricane and FL will most likely take a hit. UGH.
Soundtrack of my life, girl!! They always say that, start telling everyone to stock up on water and ply wood and then.... Nothing.

I'm a nurse so I'll have to cancel my trip (not for the weather) but to work if there's a hurricane in SoFlo. So here's hoping! I don't know how it would work in Central Florida, but where I'm from, it's business as usual if it's a tropical storm.

Soundtrack of my life, girl!! They always say that, start telling everyone to stock up on water and ply wood and then.... Nothing.

I'm a nurse so I'll have to cancel my trip (not for the weather) but to work if there's a hurricane in SoFlo. So here's hoping! I don't know how it would work in Central Florida, but where I'm from, it's business as usual if it's a tropical storm.

They seem to be getting excited because it COULD be the first hurricane to hit FL in ten years. They also said it could be "significant." Hope it dissolves and turns into a big fat NOTHING! LOL!

They seem to be getting excited because it COULD be the first hurricane to hit FL in ten years. They also said it could be "significant." Hope it dissolves and turns into a big fat NOTHING! LOL!
This is horrible to say, but the big media outlets WANT it to be the first hurricane in 10 years. When we have hurricanes the news is on 24/7-- and we all watch with baited breath! It's great for ratings.

I really hope it turns away or fizzles out, my friend. Wishing you a safe and fun trip! :)

This is horrible to say, but the big media outlets WANT it to be the first hurricane in 10 years. When we have hurricanes the news is on 24/7-- and we all watch with baited breath! It's great for ratings.

I really hope it turns away or fizzles out, my friend. Wishing you a safe and fun trip! :)
I'm from Fl and I think the reason the media puts out early warnings is because of the large northern population that moved here. Our neighbor boards up when news of TS hits the airwaves. It really is a better safe than sorry when it comes to hurricanes. We were caught off guard when Ivan hit the gulf coast and we (Pensacola) were in the eye wall for 12 hours and had no power for over a week. Yeah, that $3000 over priced generator hurt. Do watch the news and be safe. Have a great trip.

"Florida will most likely take a hit by a major hurricane" is very premature at this time. This system hasn't even formed yet. It is likely it will FORM into a tropical storm within the next couple of days and it will be given the name Hermine (according to the news that's pronounced er-MEEN). After that, NOAA and others will begin attempting to track it. They don't right now have any definite ideas about where it will go or how strong it will be.

As far as travelers to WDW, I've found the biggest thing to worry about is impact on actual travel i.e. being able to get in and out of Orlando by air or even by vehicle if it is eventually anticipated to have that kind of impact. Those arriving by air would need to change their travel arrangements should they be affected, and if they want to do this at no extra charge, they have to wait until their airline posts a travel advisory.

Once the storm is named, it will be easier to see whether it could affect travel days. (my flight to MCO is Saturday afternoon.)

As a WDW traveler I am not considering what happens between getting there and leaving...might need to arrange for a place to stay for an extra day or two but that usually isn't on the scale of trying to rearrange air reservations. If there is a direct hit on the area (which is pretty rare) they'll close the parks and guests will be asked to stay in their resorts. Which is a bummer but it can't be helped.

If it's just rain and wind, but not bad enough to close anything, that keeps a lot of folks out of the parks...and no lines.

Last edited:
I was there the last time they closed the parks for a hurricane. Missed us. But all our booze, beer and snacks were gone by days end.

"Florida will most likely take a hit by a major hurricane" is very premature at this time. This system hasn't even formed yet. It is likely it will FORM into a tropical storm within the next couple of days and it will be given the name Hermine (according to the news that's pronounced er-MEEN). After that, NOAA and others will begin attempting to track it. They don't right now have any definite ideas about where it will go or how strong it will be.

As far as travelers to WDW, I've found the biggest thing to worry about is impact on actual travel i.e. being able to get in and out of Orlando by air or even by vehicle if it is eventually anticipated to have that kind of impact. Those arriving by air would need to change their travel arrangements should they be affected, and if they want to do this at no extra charge, they have to wait until their airline posts a travel advisory.

Once the storm is named, it will be easier to see whether it could affect travel days. (my flight to MCO is Saturday afternoon.)

As a WDW traveler I am not considering what happens between getting there and leaving...might need to arrange for a place to stay for an extra day or two but that usually isn't on the scale of trying to rearrange air reservations. If there is a direct hit on the area (which is pretty rare) they'll close the parks and guests will be asked to stay in their resorts. Which is a bummer but it can't be helped.

If it's just rain and wind, but not bad enough to close anything, that keeps a lot of folks out of the parks...and no lines.

Do you know if airlines and Disney reach out to you in advisory/closure cases- or do I need to be reaching out to them? We're first time visitors and I haven't been to Florida in like 12 years. Flying in on Monday. I've only ever flown once before, and don't really know what to expect in inclement weather situations.

I live here and I don't watch news or tv weather channels during hurricane season because of all the hype. I have a couple websites I rely on during that time that just give me the facts as they ARE, not as some over-coiffed broadcaster wants them to be. I think it is important to monitor the tropics during hurricane season, but it's also important to keep calm and be realistic about the situation.

Do you know if airlines and Disney reach out to you in advisory/closure cases- or do I need to be reaching out to them? We're first time visitors and I haven't been to Florida in like 12 years. Flying in on Monday. I've only ever flown once before, and don't really know what to expect in inclement weather situations.

You would reach out to them. For airlines, they will put an advisory up on their website offering free flight changes, you have to wait until then. Disney is usually pretty flexible about changing dates, assuming they have availability.

Just a heads up for those traveling this week and next to keep an eye on the weather. Was just watching weather channel and there is something forming in the atlantic that has potential to make landfall in FL according to the projected path on weather channel. IF it does form, most likely will be tropical depression. I know it's WAY to early to tell, and it could fizzle out, or swing out to sea, but just keep an eye out if you are traveling.
Thanks for starting this great thread, @anniemae! I'm sure lots of our posters will be thrilled to hear others' experiences with hurricane season in central Florida!

Also, your thread was picked to be featured in today's edition of the DIS Daily Fix! :goodvibes

For the Florida residents on here/those with experience with this kind of weather- do you think there will be a clearer idea of what this storm will be and where it will go by Saturday?

Asking because I need to cancel 24 hours in advance to get refunds/credits if the need should arrive. Apparently, the last time I visited Florida was Daytona Beach during Hurricane Charley, so I am definitely cool with storms/rain/wind, etc. But not to the point where the parks will be closed and we can't travel around the state/enjoy the beach at all.

Thanks in advance!

For the Florida residents on here/those with experience with this kind of weather- do you think there will be a clearer idea of what this storm will be and where it will go by Saturday?

Thanks in advance!

Of course. Every day will make the forecasts more precise. Whether they will be precise enough for you to decide whether you want to cancel is a little tougher to predict. Typically you have a pretty good idea of where a storm is going to hit (if it hits anywhere) about three days from landfall, but you won't get pinpoint accuracy until maybe 24 hours out. Storms are notorious for making last minute changes in path - in fact, Charlie did exactly that. Everyone expected it to come ashore at Tampa Bay, but it made a quick turn and came ashore in southwest Florida instead.

Of course. Every day will make the forecasts more precise. Whether they will be precise enough for you to decide whether you want to cancel is a little tougher to predict. Typically you have a pretty good idea of where a storm is going to hit (if it hits anywhere) about three days from landfall, but you won't get pinpoint accuracy until maybe 24 hours out. Storms are notorious for making last minute changes in path - in fact, Charlie did exactly that. Everyone expected it to come ashore at Tampa Bay, but it made a quick turn and came ashore in southwest Florida instead.
Thanks! I guess I will just keep planning on going and hope for the best!

I asked my daughter last night if she thought Hermine was about to visit universal or attack WDW and if Gaston was disney's response trying to save the day if needed (or show off that disney is stronger)..

This could get interesting as last night Hermine was considered a storm that was doing nothing but today has the potential to hit this weekend and build up in strength near Bermuda.

those in the know (not the talking hairdo's on TV) are now saying it is looking less and less likely that it will form into a named storm, rather stay unorganized and not make landfall in Florida. Hurricane hunter aircraft were doing fly-ins today, so they will update by 5:00 and the picture will continue to get clearer. If it can stay together, they have it moving into the gulf early next week. If there is one thing you learn living in Central Florida during this season, its that the news jump on the story prematurely and blow it up. It's almost a disappointment if a big storm doesn't form and have Florida in its sights. You are much better off with the hurricane websites like flhurricane.com or others recommended by PP's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter